E8400, p45, Help with OC please

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
I have never overclocked anything.

I looked through the sticky on OC'ing dual core, but it was very complicated to me, and the different BIOS options on my mobo made it really confusing.

Here's my rig:

e8400 with E0 stepping
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Xigmatek Dark Knight CPU Cooler
EVGA GTX 260 (216) SSC edition (626)
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15

I really want to get to 3.6 minimum, would love 3.8, and 4.0 is really just a trophy number if possible.

At stock settings (9x333), I am idling at 33C according to RealTemp.

BIOS is set vcore at 1.225, and that is displaying at 1.20 in OCCT and CPU-z

I am completely new to this.

Please can anyone give a quick, simple step-by-step on what settings to change in BIOS to get to 3.6. Then if stable, 3.8, 4.0 etc?

Is it really as simple as changing the FSB to 400 and multiplier by 9? Do I need to do anything to my RAM, or PCI-e settings? I see that some say I should change PCI-e to 100 manually.

Thanks!

P.S. to OC my GTX 260, I can just change things in RivaTuner right? Anyone have any suggested stable, safe OC clocks for this card to try?

~xRome

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
I checked out that guide, as I said that's a very long, complicated and confusing guide dealing with much more than I even want to know.

I understand the "research before asking concept" and I did. That sticky is just too much for me at the moment. My questions are not difficult for anyone who has OC'd before to answer.

Your help would be appreciated.

NatteDraak

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I just finished OC'ing my e8400 on a p45, my first OC experience. That guide has helped me throughout the whole process. Read it. Do it. It's not that difficult.

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
you can't just go from 3GHz to 3.6GHz in one step. You must gradually increase your FSB. And you have to adjust your ram's multiplier to a 1:1 ratio. What ram do you have? And it's too much for you? I had no problem reading it and understanding. I just think you don't want to read it at the moment. The only thing you need to read is the ram, Voltage and temps section and that is almost it. Beside testing for stablity. I think he should break up the post like that to make it easier for people to get what they need.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
There are too many variables to 100% accurately give you settings that work (such as temps, other hardware, bios revisions, VID's, etc).

IMO, the best way to get your system overclocked to its potential is to actually spend some time reading the stickies, asking questions when you have them (we would be happy to clear up what any settings mean, etc) and learn the stuff.