Hijacker virus affecting computer *Tired malwarebytes* HELP!

BigBoss13

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Hello,

I've been trying to get rid of this virus for the past day or so. I've read on a few site that malwarebyte is good, so I downloaded it, and a bunch of others on a clean pc and copied it to a disk, then I ran it on the infected computer in safe mode. It came up with 3 items, so I had them all destroyed.

I then booted it normally and the virus was still hijacking my browsers. So I ran a scan with SUPERantispyware, it found 2 trojans, a unspecified malware, and some tracking cookies(501 to be exact) and had those deleted as well. I rebooted then I got the BSOD for about half a second, then it restarted and I selected system restore. It seemed okay, BUT the virus was still affecting it. I haven't checked on the computer since then (about 10 hrs ago) but that BSOD got me really worried that I could loose what I have on my computer. Is my data really not retrievable if it (the computer) should fail?

I'm considering taking it to a computer repair place, but not sure that I want to (I don't want certain files being looked at by 3rd parties). So that's where you com in. This site has been the only one that has ever effectively helped me with other computer problems, so I find you guys the most trustworthy to help me now.

Thanks,

Looking forward to a fast response!

**EDIT**
I forgot to mention that when I load a page in the browser, My system resources goes under heavy load. Specifically the Network Usage. I think this has to do with the virus, but I'm not sure.

In this scenario, there are a few ways to recover the personal files and restore the computer to working condition. Sorry about the length of these explanations…but it is a topic that deserves some attention.

A. In the first method, you need to acquire a professional antivirus installation disk. The antivirus will boot without starting windows. Put the antivirus disk in the CD drive and start the computer. Norton 360, Panda Internet Security, are two products which are capable of scanning after booting from the CD drive. This does not guarantee success, but has worked with some infections.
Alternate methods: if the disk does not boot when the computer starts, go into the bios setup and set the CD drive as the first boot device. OR hold down F8 (the key varies according to your computer manufacturer, find the instructions on the manufacturer’s website) when the computer is starting.
This may bring up choices, such as:
A. Boot from CD drive.
B. Restore, set the computer back to a previous time.
C. Repair mode.
D. Safe Mode.

Attempt to boot the antivirus from the CD drive, restore or repair. Some of these options may not be available, depending on the model of the computer.

B. A system restore can be attempted using an original XP installation disk in repair mode. The repair does not erase the personal files. The directions for the repair are located in the Tom’s hardware XP forum (this forum) fourth post from the top. This method, which does not reformat the drive, will not always eliminate a problem, but most of the time it does work.

C. Take out the drive and install it as a second drive on a working computer. You can then drag your personal files off the damaged drive and make a backup to thumb drive, CD, DVD, etc….You can scan the damaged drive with the working computer…but if needed,
Reformat the damaged drive and reinstall the operating system. Reload your personal files from the backup made above.

Or have a computer shop do above for you…

Then, acquire and use a professional antivirus, loaded from a disk, update, scan entire computer at least twice a month.
I do not use or recommend security software that is downloaded free from the Internet. I do not believe that this type of software provides full protection of a computer. I highly recommend buying a professional subscription antivirus that is provided on a disk.

An all in one antivirus will provide protection against unauthorized incoming connections that the free security does not provide. It will update automatically several times a day if need be, and enable you to burn an emergency recovery disk....also, you will have a disk to scan without starting windows.
Another alternative being downloading an ISO version and burning it to a disk, but I prefer to purchase a disk on Amzon, which is usually cheaper.

mibix19

Distinguished
If you need to back up your files before you do anything drastic, there is a program called puppy linux. you can boot it off a cd or usb drive and it works without windows. The interface is similar to windows and you can drag and drop all your files to a usb.From what I have heard a few (not many) computer shops will have a look at your personal files and they tend to do a format and reinstallation as it is the easiest thing for them to do.

BigBoss13

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I've tried using a few other options, mainly the steps found here:

http://www.freepcsecurity.co.uk/2010/06/15/browser/

I tried this method mainly because I had gotten no replies here.

The scanners don't come up with anything anymore, but when I try to use a browser, it says the "Proxy servers are inaccessible" or something like that. I was going to try uninstalling the browsers then re installing them from a disk.

The last time my browser was working, the system resources bar was high, but it was mostly taken up with network usage. Did I get rid of the virus, and by doing so, it messed with my browser in an attempt for a final stand so to speak?

Sounds like it messed with the LAN connection setting on you browser.

Depending on your browser, look at the tools-->internet options-->network LAN connection-->make sure it's set to 'no proxy'.

To verify the malware is gone, run through each step in the malware guide in my signature.