Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

General Tribes Inqueries

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 8:30:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Did anyone give this a whirl? It seems to me that it flipflopped over
the the bargain bin a bit fast.

Also, is it true that the first two Tribes are now free? Will my old-ass
account from 2001 still be active if I install it from the CD?
--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 8:33:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Shinnokxz wrote:
> Did anyone give this a whirl? It seems to me that it flipflopped over
> the the bargain bin a bit fast.
>
> Also, is it true that the first two Tribes are now free? Will my old-ass
> account from 2001 still be active if I install it from the CD?

Er... the first question is in regards to 'Tribes: Vengeance' in which I
had originally had in the subject line, but got rid of it for some reason.

--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 3:47:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:30:27 -0600, Shinnokxz wrote:

> Did anyone give this a whirl?

Which one? T1? Yep, that was working when I tried it last... which was a
number of months ago. T2? Who cares?

> It seems to me that it flipflopped over the the bargain bin a bit fast.

You can thank Sierra for that.

> Also, is it true that the first two Tribes are now free?

Dunno about T1. T2 is though.

> Will my old-ass account from 2001 still be active if I install it from
> the CD?

Install it. Give it a whack. What can go wrong?

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033 - MDK10.1 - WindowMaker 0.90.0
Related resources
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 3:47:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Ah, heh, sorry for the confusion-

I never tried Tribes I, and to tell the truth I was never a huge fan of
Tribes 2. I played it just because some local friends did. The game was
fun, but I thought the engine was a bit overwhelming and a little too
player unfriendly. Not to mention there were umpteen-thousands
modifications for it on every server- it was hard to decipher whether I
was actually playing the vanilla game, or some lame mod.

--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 3:49:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:33:41 -0600, Shinnokxz wrote:

> Er... the first question is in regards to 'Tribes: Vengeance' in which I
> had originally had in the subject line, but got rid of it for some reason.

Heh, I'd forgotten there was something called tribes:vengeance, for my
other reply. :) 

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033 - MDK10.1 - WindowMaker 0.90.0
September 24, 2005 3:56:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:33:41 -0600, Shinnokxz <shinnokxz@charter.net>
wrote:

>Shinnokxz wrote:
>> Did anyone give this a whirl? It seems to me that it flipflopped over
>> the the bargain bin a bit fast.
>>
>> Also, is it true that the first two Tribes are now free? Will my old-ass
>> account from 2001 still be active if I install it from the CD?
>
>Er... the first question is in regards to 'Tribes: Vengeance' in which I
>had originally had in the subject line, but got rid of it for some reason.

I heard the game itself wasn't bad as a single player "experience" but
from what I played on the demo servers, it is *NOT* really Tribes.
More like Unreal Tourny with a Tribes mod bolted on.

And your account should still work, if you remember your nick and
password.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 8:37:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Shinnokxz" <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote in message
news:Vl%Ye.7066$P7.5610@fe06.lga...
> Did anyone give this a whirl? It seems to me that it flipflopped over the
> the bargain bin a bit fast.
>
> Also, is it true that the first two Tribes are now free? Will my old-ass
> account from 2001 still be active if I install it from the CD?
> --
> Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
> Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

T:V was a flop
T2 was a good product until Sierra bought out Dynamix and then was bought
out by VU
T1 is still great

My T1 and T2 accounts still work, including my beta keys.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 3:51:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Shinnokxz <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote in news:9L%Ye.7138$P7.5029
@fe06.lga:

> I never tried Tribes I, and to tell the truth I was never a huge fan of
> Tribes 2. I played it just because some local friends did. The game was
> fun, but I thought the engine was a bit overwhelming and a little too
> player unfriendly. Not to mention there were umpteen-thousands
> modifications for it on every server- it was hard to decipher whether I
> was actually playing the vanilla game, or some lame mod.

"Overwhelming"? As in too complicated? The big draw of T2 for many of us
was that there was constantly something new to learn. Even after 3 years,
we still come back to it, and find other games just starting to use the
same concepts (like Battlefield 2).

"Player-unfriendly"? In what way? Again, there's a learning curve, but
that's a Good Thing. It means the game doesn't go in the bargain bin a
month after release.

T2's biggest problem was the bugginess that required constant patching and
it never did get completely stable.

However, you can now buy a license to the source code of T2's engine for
only $100 and build your own game, and have some hope of fixing the bugs
without waiting for official patches. For another $150 on top of that, you
get access to the next-generation engine. So for the price of a new video
card, you can be a code insider.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 10:26:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"ScratchMonkey" <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96DB644DC58BCscratchmonkey@216.196.97.136...
> Shinnokxz <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote in news:9L%Ye.7138$P7.5029
> @fe06.lga:
>
>> I never tried Tribes I, and to tell the truth I was never a huge fan of
>> Tribes 2. I played it just because some local friends did. The game was
>> fun, but I thought the engine was a bit overwhelming and a little too
>> player unfriendly. Not to mention there were umpteen-thousands
>> modifications for it on every server- it was hard to decipher whether I
>> was actually playing the vanilla game, or some lame mod.
>
> "Overwhelming"? As in too complicated? The big draw of T2 for many of us
> was that there was constantly something new to learn. Even after 3 years,
> we still come back to it, and find other games just starting to use the
> same concepts (like Battlefield 2).
>
> "Player-unfriendly"? In what way? Again, there's a learning curve, but
> that's a Good Thing. It means the game doesn't go in the bargain bin a
> month after release.
>
> T2's biggest problem was the bugginess that required constant patching and
> it never did get completely stable.
>
> However, you can now buy a license to the source code of T2's engine for
> only $100 and build your own game, and have some hope of fixing the bugs
> without waiting for official patches. For another $150 on top of that, you
> get access to the next-generation engine. So for the price of a new video
> card, you can be a code insider.

Yes. I made mine in ten minutes!

Bug free!
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 11:37:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> However, you can now buy a license to the source code of T2's engine
> for only $100 and build your own game, and have some hope of fixing
> the bugs without waiting for official patches. For another $150 on
> top of that, you get access to the next-generation engine. So for the
> price of a new video card, you can be a code insider.


So, if 10 of us pitched in $25 each, the code writer in here could
create our own AGST Tribes.

I got $100 to start us off, so only 6 more members need to pitch in.

:) 

And yes, I'm serious.



_______________________________________________________________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 3:54:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:433653a3$1_1
@news6.uncensored-news.com:

> So, if 10 of us pitched in $25 each, the code writer in here could
> create our own AGST Tribes.
>
> I got $100 to start us off, so only 6 more members need to pitch in.

http://renwerx.com/

I've already got my TSE license. But I'm there mostly to make the Linux
server builds. I'm not a "new content" guy. I'm a bug buster by nature.
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 9:51:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:433653a3$1_1
> @news6.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> So, if 10 of us pitched in $25 each, the code writer in here
>> could create our own AGST Tribes.
>>
>> I got $100 to start us off, so only 6 more members need to pitch
>> in.
>
> http://renwerx.com/
>
> I've already got my TSE license. But I'm there mostly to make the
> Linux server builds. I'm not a "new content" guy. I'm a bug buster by
> nature.


Oh WOW, they're moving along nicely!!! Thanks for the heads up,
Scratch, this is a good resource site, and a place to help support the
Tribes community in general. :) 



_______________________________________________________________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
!