questions about reception

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 9, 2005 1:47:38 PM

I'm new to HD, and have a few reception issues that I don't understand.
If there's a web page somewhere that covers these specific issues,
please point me to it, or give me any feedback that you can.

When I first started aiming my antenna, I was amazed to find that I was
able to get almost all the channels from one position. There was only
one exception (2, counting sub channels) and for that one, the channel
came in and the signal strength was strongest when the antenna was
turned 180 degrees from the best position for everything else. The part
that I don't understand is that this particular station broadcasts from
the same tower as most of the others that came in strong before I
turned the antenna.

Over several days, I tried making subtle and not-so-subtle adjustments,
and this was consistent. It was easy to do, since I'm using a small
indoor antenna. It's the one that comes with the ATI HDTV Wonder. But
after a few days, I unplugged the antenna coax from the card, for
unrelated reasons, and later plugged it back in. Now, I get all the
channels from the position that worked for all but that one station. I
have no idea if or why unplugging a cable could be related, but the
signal strength was not appreciably different for the other stations
after this happened. So it doesn't seem to be a pure contact or
position issue, nor did moving the cable or antenna in general seem to
have an effect. What am I missing here?

The other issue is that yesterday, in mid afternoon, I had a period of
about 15-20 minutes where I lost about 6-8 stations completely. They
were all ones from the same broadcast tower, that usually give a very
strong signal, but at the time, the signal strength showed up at 0 no
matter where I turned the antenna. The other stations continued to come
in as they did before at normal strength. The obvious answer seems to
be that there was a problem with that tower, but it doesn't seem
realistic to me that the San Francisco area's largest stations would
have dropped off all at once, so I'm assuming that it's something else.
Are there any environmental or other factors that would cause signals
to stop coming through from a specific location on a clear day?

More about : questions reception

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 7:53:42 PM

waidoan@hotmail.com wrote:

> I'm new to HD, and have a few reception issues that I don't understand.
> If there's a web page somewhere that covers these specific issues,
> please point me to it, or give me any feedback that you can.
>
> When I first started aiming my antenna, I was amazed to find that I was
> able to get almost all the channels from one position. There was only
> one exception (2, counting sub channels) and for that one, the channel
> came in and the signal strength was strongest when the antenna was
> turned 180 degrees from the best position for everything else. The part
> that I don't understand is that this particular station broadcasts from
> the same tower as most of the others that came in strong before I
> turned the antenna.
>
> Over several days, I tried making subtle and not-so-subtle adjustments,
> and this was consistent. It was easy to do, since I'm using a small
> indoor antenna. It's the one that comes with the ATI HDTV Wonder. But
> after a few days, I unplugged the antenna coax from the card, for
> unrelated reasons, and later plugged it back in. Now, I get all the
> channels from the position that worked for all but that one station. I
> have no idea if or why unplugging a cable could be related, but the
> signal strength was not appreciably different for the other stations
> after this happened. So it doesn't seem to be a pure contact or
> position issue, nor did moving the cable or antenna in general seem to
> have an effect. What am I missing here?
>
> The other issue is that yesterday, in mid afternoon, I had a period of
> about 15-20 minutes where I lost about 6-8 stations completely. They
> were all ones from the same broadcast tower, that usually give a very
> strong signal, but at the time, the signal strength showed up at 0 no
> matter where I turned the antenna. The other stations continued to come
> in as they did before at normal strength. The obvious answer seems to
> be that there was a problem with that tower, but it doesn't seem
> realistic to me that the San Francisco area's largest stations would
> have dropped off all at once, so I'm assuming that it's something else.
> Are there any environmental or other factors that would cause signals
> to stop coming through from a specific location on a clear day?

Recent 'large' Sun spot activity over the past week per GPS news
Group?

Good indoor antennas are Zenith Silver sensor, better is new Winegard
SS-3000 sharp shooter....
!