Problems connecting router. HELP PLEASE!

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I just baught an Xtreme N Gaming router from D-Link and im having issues with it. I hooked every thing up correctly then put the disk in the computer to install whatever it needs and it told me no wired adapter connected and that it cant configure the router over wireless internet. Now i dont have wired internet and my cable plug is 25 feet away from my computer so i cant get the ethernet cord near the computer. I tried calling tech support but it took me to india and i couldnt understand anything they said! So i dont know what to do and im wondering if you guys can help out at all. There has to be a way to get it working withough me having to move my computer. Also im not very tech savvy, i barly know what an ethernet cord is lol, so if you can help try to simplify it as much as possible.
Thanks!

Zenthar

Distinguished
To make the setup, the router might need to be connected to the Cable Modem, so maybe you can just bring the router close to your PC and use the network cable you used between the router and the modem to do the setup ... just a though.

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
My router and cabel modem are wired together and their 25 or so feet away from the computer. I tried hooking up the new router to the computer by plugging the ethernet in the back of the router to the back of the computer but since my cabel modem is so far away i cant attach the ethernet cable in the back of the modem to the back of the router =(. The instructions tell me that i need to attach an ehternet cable from the modem to the router and then another ethernet cable from the router to the computer!!! I reall dont know what to do, if the router HAS to have a wired connection to set it up i dont know that i can do it, but if it only need to be wired to configure the router and then i can make it wireless after that i might be able to do it. I just dont want to disconect my computer and monitor, haul them across the room, install disk (which may or may not work), then haul it back and reconect just for a router... Any other ideas?

Zenthar

Distinguished
You can always try to disconnect the router from the modem and bring the router TO you PC, no? Maybe there is something I didn't get.

You need to use wired connection because wireless isn't seted-up yet, but if you can setup the wireless without it being plugged into the modem, you will then be able to continue the setup wirelessly.

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Ok i believe i solved the problem. I just did what i didnt want to do lol. I brught it over to the connection and it seems to be working after an hour of fussing with it. But i dont know how long that will last lol. Thanks anyways!

TRENDING THREADS