Computer very slow at startup

Hi,

My computer takes a long time to the stage where I can start to use it. I
mean like 8 minutes or more, could it have to do with the programs that are
started when the computer strarts if so how can I find the folder. I am using
windows XP home edition I have a 40GB hard drive I only have used 6 gigs of
it. I have 256MB of RAM. This problem is new it never took this long.

Thank You
12 answers Last reply
More about computer slow startup

    "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My computer takes a long time to the stage where I can start to use
    > it. I mean like 8 minutes or more, could it have to do with the
    > programs that are started when the computer strarts if so how can I
    > find the folder. I am using windows XP home edition I have a 40GB
    > hard drive I only have used 6 gigs of it. I have 256MB of RAM. This
    > problem is new it never took this long.
    >
    > Thank You

    Start by opening each of the programs in the Notification area and see if
    they have a way to turn off the option to always start at startup.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Hi,

    None of the icon on the Notification tray have the option that you
    mentioned, what would you suggest next?

    Thank You

    new office 2003 user wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > None of the icon on the Notification tray have the option that you
    > mentioned, what would you suggest next?
    >
    > Thank You
    >
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
    >
    >> "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > My computer takes a long time to the stage where I can start to use
    >> > it. I mean like 8 minutes or more, could it have to do with the
    >> > programs that are started when the computer strarts if so how can I
    >> > find the folder. I am using windows XP home edition I have a 40GB
    >> > hard drive I only have used 6 gigs of it. I have 256MB of RAM. This
    >> > problem is new it never took this long.
    >> >
    >> > Thank You
    >>
    >> Start by opening each of the programs in the Notification area and
    >> see if they have a way to turn off the option to always start at
    >> startup.

    Here are some links to help you troubleshoot:

    http://aumha.org/a/health.htm - Take Out the Trash (section 4)

    Is your computer completely free of viruses and malware?

    Check to make sure your drive is using DMA mode and not PIO:
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

    Other than that, we don't have enough information from you to give you
    focused troubleshooting. Do some of the things suggested at the above
    links and then if you need help, come back with results of your tests.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Hi,

    I have tried several antivirus and spyware programs and they all state that
    my computer is not infected. I know that there is a folder that has all the
    programs that start when you start the computer, but I don't know how to
    retrieve it. Maybe if they are in this folder I can take them out someway.

    Thank You

    "Malke" wrote:

    > new office 2003 user wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > None of the icon on the Notification tray have the option that you
    > > mentioned, what would you suggest next?
    > >
    > > Thank You
    > >
    > > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > >> wrote in message

    > >> Start by opening each of the programs in the Notification area and
    > >> see if they have a way to turn off the option to always start at
    > >> startup.
    >
    > Here are some links to help you troubleshoot:
    >
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
    > http://aumha.org/a/health.htm - Take Out the Trash (section 4)
    >
    > Is your computer completely free of viruses and malware?
    > http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
    >
    > Check to make sure your drive is using DMA mode and not PIO:
    > http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm
    >
    > Other than that, we don't have enough information from you to give you
    > focused troubleshooting. Do some of the things suggested at the above
    > links and then if you need help, come back with results of your tests.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Without knowing what's there that's unanswerable.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > None of the icon on the Notification tray have the option that you
    > mentioned, what would you suggest next?
    >
    > Thank You
    >
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
    >
    >> "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> My computer takes a long time to the stage where I can start to use
    >>> it. I mean like 8 minutes or more, could it have to do with the
    >>> programs that are started when the computer strarts if so how can I
    >>> find the folder. I am using windows XP home edition I have a 40GB
    >>> hard drive I only have used 6 gigs of it. I have 256MB of RAM. This
    >>> problem is new it never took this long.
    >>>
    >>> Thank You
    >>
    >> Start by opening each of the programs in the Notification area and
    >> see if they have a way to turn off the option to always start at
    >> startup.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

    Check for spyware.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have tried several antivirus and spyware programs and they all
    > state that my computer is not infected. I know that there is a folder
    > that has all the programs that start when you start the computer, but
    > I don't know how to retrieve it. Maybe if they are in this folder I
    > can take them out someway.
    >
    > Thank You

    There is not just one place. There is a Startup folder for you and another
    for All Users. There are also some Registry keys.

    Try Start | Run | msconfig | Startup tab

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    new office 2003 user Wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > None of the icon on the Notification tray have the option that you
    > mentioned, what would you suggest next?
    >
    > Thank You

    Have you run a disk cleanup in a while? If not you cud do that and then
    defragment, this may help speed startup if its due to a fragmented
    drive.
    http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx/

    --
    xy2z

    "new office 2003 user" <newoffice2003user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:FB285053-39C2-4127-A26D-AC704673A806@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > My computer takes a long time to the stage where I can start to use it. I
    > mean like 8 minutes or more, could it have to do with the programs that
    are
    > started when the computer strarts if so how can I find the folder. I am
    using
    > windows XP home edition I have a 40GB hard drive I only have used 6 gigs
    of
    > it. I have 256MB of RAM. This problem is new it never took this long.

    Try booting in save mode and see if that's much faster. It probably will be
    but report back if not.

    new office 2003 user wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My computer takes a long time to the stage where I can start to use
    > it. I mean like 8 minutes or more, could it have to do with the
    > programs that are started when the computer strarts

    Yes, certainly. It's very likely.

    > if so how can I
    > find the folder.

    It's not a single folder. On each program you don't want to start
    automatically, check its Options to see if it has the choice not to start.
    Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't work, run
    MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the
    programs you don't want to start automatically.

    However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose of running
    the minimum number of programs. Despite what many people tell you, you
    should be concerned, not with how *many* of these programs you run, but
    *which*. Some of them can hurt performance severely, but others have no
    effect on performance.

    Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you should do is
    determine what each program is, what its value is to you, and what the cost
    in performance is of its running all the time. You can get more information
    about these with at http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't
    find it there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

    Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent informed
    decision about what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of.

    > I am using windows XP home edition I have a 40GB
    > hard drive I only have used 6 gigs of it. I have 256MB of RAM. This
    > problem is new it never took this long.

    If the problem is due to programs startiung automatically, it may well be
    that some of those programs have recently been installed.

    However, my personal view is that the attention many people pay to how long
    it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the computer's speed is
    otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth worrying about. Most people
    start their computers once a day or even less frequently. In the overall
    scheme of things, even a few minutes to start up isn't very important.
    Personally I power on my computer when I get up in the morning, then go get
    my coffee. When I come back, it's done booting. I don't know how long it
    took to boot and I don't care.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Thanks for replying to my question. I am willing to try your respond, but I
    need to know how do you boot in safe mode.

    Thank You

    wrote in message
    > Thanks for replying to my question. I am willing to try your respond,
    > but I need to know how do you boot in safe mode.
    >
    > Thank You

    Keep tapping F8 while the computer starts until you get a menu.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Computers Microsoft Windows XP