I think my RAM and my CPU was underclocked

d3adman500

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Hi, this is my first time here and this is the first time i've ever had this problem.

Today, my friend gave me a pair of Kingston HyperX (2x512MB) dual channel RAM. it had the same speed as my current one, which is the Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 1066MHz and 5-5-5-15. So i tried to install it on my system and couldn't play any games because of the memory.dll error in bf2. So i figured that it was the new RAM causing the problem...I removed it and i checked my CPU Z and saw that my memory changed from PC2-8500 to PC2-6400 running at 800Mhz. My CPU speed also decreased from 2999MHz to 2399Mhz.....Here is a picture of my CPU Z and my PC Wizard. I need help on getting my system back to normal...so please if there's anybody who is an expert on these kinds of problems i need ur help.

CPU1.jpg

CPU2.jpg

CPU3.jpg

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
It appears that by adding the additional ram, your system or BIOS just reset to default values. You'll have to manually set your memory to 1066mhz, by default memory is run as 800mhz.

However you got your CPU, a Q6600 to 3ghz, just do the same thing.

d3adman500

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
what exactly do i have to Change....I am a noob at this topic....i already know how to go to the BIOS...I just need to know where in the BIOS do i need to go....Also do i have to change any voltages? I checked the CPU frequency section (section that has the FSB QDR and DDR stuff)...there are options like SLi memory [disables], QDR was set to 1066 and DDR was set to 800mhz...there is the memory ratio which was set to auto and there is an option (i forgot the name) which gives me the option to link, unlink, or set the DDR and QDR to auto...And how bout for the CPU?

I'm really sorry about my explanation....but I appreciate the help guys...

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
It appears you have an Nvidia board, the easiest way is to keep your CPU at stock, and unlink your RAM to 1066mhz. Test your system to make sure that the ram is working at 1066mhz.

Once you've verified that your ram is working, you can slowly change your QDR from 1066mhz to 1333mhz. In small increments of 25mhz - 50mhz, testing each time you raise the QDR.

How did you overclock your CPU the first time?

d3adman500

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
it was custom built by AVA Direct....i PMd you so i can talk to you directly if its alright with you...thanks a lot

d3adman500

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
How about the Voltages....Do i have to change any of them? And i also noticed that i when I increased my QDR to 1085, CPU speed went up to 2441MHz and the Multiplier went down to 6X....is this normal?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
My advice is this. You should first familiarize yourself with the overclocking guide on this site as well as other sites. It's such a broad term, "how do you overclock?", because there are so many things to take into consideration.

You need to identify your motherboard brand and chipset. I know it is at least an nvidia chipset, but there are a few Nvidia chipsets floating out there. I could try and tell you want settings to do, but Plugging in numbers, doesn't always work.
At best it will only give you a general idea of where your voltages and settings should be.
If the plugged in numbers don't work, then you are at a lost as to what could be the culprit causing the problem.
Is it CPU vcore? NB vcore? Memory speed? Memory timings? heat? cpu vtt voltage? There are so many possibilities.
The only real way for you to overclock is to actually start changing the settings on your motherboard slowly,
in an incremental way. This way when you do encounter failure, it will not be a black screen, BSOD or hard lock up.
Incremental overclocking offers the safest way, because you're overclocking slowly, you're more likely to just
get stress test failures only.

As outlined by the guide: Turn off, C1E, Speedstep. Change all your voltages to the nominal values.
Lower your ram speed, either with ratio value or by unlinking(only on Nvidia Chipset board).

From here, increase your QDR speed by 25mhz - 50mhz. Testing each time you increase with a program that can
stress your CPU and system. When you encounter failure, change 1 voltage or adjust 1 setting only. Take note
of what you did, on paper, spread sheet, etc. Control of what changes you did and its effect your CPU and
motherboard will help you understand overclocking more than just plugging in numbers.

In regards to the CPU multiplier going down to 6x, that is a feature of the C1E and speedstep. You can turn those off in the BIOS.