First time new build

time4change

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
Would like a little help if someone has some free time. I have been wanting to build a new system for awhile now, and now I am finally getting motivated to do it. After doing some reading on this site and other magazines I have come up with the following setup.

First of all I am using an system that has more than served me well for the last 7-8 years in which I am very happy with; however it is unable to edit/burn a movie in under 4 hours and not having a problem in playing in my DVD player, so I figure it must be time to upgrade.

I mostly use the computer for emailing, downloading music and movies. Its the latter that my current cannot do. Now that I have a newborn, I will most likely start saving/edit video and pictures as well. I'm not much of a gamer, since I have a PS3 for that; however it might not hurt just to be able to have the capability to do so if i change my mind later. I would like to stay in the upper $600 lower $700 range if well.

This will be my first computer build, although I have done some computer mods in the past. Thanks for your help in advance and here it goes.......

CPU Intel Quad Core Q6600

Motherboard ASUS P5K PRO LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX

Memory Kingston HyperX 2GB (2x 1GB) DDR2 1066

DVD/CD Drive's (2) Lite-On 20x DVD Burner with Lightscribe (LH-20a1-06)

Video Card XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB DDR3 PCIe SLI (overkill??)

Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7200 RPM

Case/PSU Antec Sonata ATX MID 500w PSU

Audio Creative Audigy SB from old system if need be

Media Card reader koutech RCM620

This system is just under $800 as it is now, even though i would still like to shave another $100 or so, i would still want a system that would last me for several years, other than minor mods of needed. Thanks again for any help!!!!

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
well you wont be doing any gaming with the 8600gt card. it's incapable of game playing. stick to your ps3 in this case. you can upgrade to a graphics card when you actually will decide to use one. better pirces/performance with time. loose the 1066 ram and replace it with cheaper 800, there is little benefit of 1066. it's just overclocked with looser timings and higher voltage ddr800.

now for movies or possibly high def, a cheap ati hd 3650 will do an awesome job. again no playing games on low end cards, but you do have built in support for high def and also a possiblity to connect your comp to a large lcd or plasma through hdmi. this way you get sound and video through one cable. i know tha tmost of nvidia cards cannot do this and there are few cards that somehow combine the two on a single card. just in case you are building a home theater pc.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Change to the motherboard to the Gigabyte DS3L to save some money.

Good choice on case.

Change the RAM to G.SKill 2GB 4-4-4-12 you don't need 1066 RAM.

You don't need a Quad core CPU to watch movies. Move down to an E7200 and save almost $100.

+1 on the video card choice from godless.

time4change

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
Wow and I thought the 8600gt was a decent card. What MB the ep31 or ep35? I went with the one above since it had the front usb/firewire for convenience.

I wont be using the computer to watch movies, just to DL and burn them to watch on home theater dvd. Woulnt it be worth to spend the extra $80 for the Quad Core?

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Q6600 is a crazy waste of money if you aren't doing any HEAVY DUTY vid editing .... E7200 is a wonderful CPU and when overclocked attains speeds of E8400. So yeah agreed with shadowduck .. you should get the E7200 and EP35/P35 DS3L mobo .. firewire isn't required for your needs.

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
To all the newbies here:

2 years later theres gonna be Nehalem mainstream... everything right now... quads and duals would be outdated ... the OP isn't into video editing ... E7200 is a sensible choice... Q6600 isn't. Why? because the OP doesnt need it. The point is to give the OP the best possible PC for his requirements , not for yours. Otherwise one might as well suggest an 8800GTX while you're at it ainnit...

With a forums monker like "PCgamer" I would think you would have a better clue. There is no such things as "future proofing" in the PC world. Also unless someone uses Adobe photoshop or 3dMax Studio for a living, I see no reason for anyone to spend the extra money on a quad for everyday use and gaming. Especially gaming. By the time games start using all four threads of a quad, those quads will more than likely be half the price that they are going for now.

E7200 overclocked with good cooling > any quad any day for gaming.

time4change

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
I appreciate everyone's opinion and will definitely look into the e7200, which was on my list other than the e8400. Just digest all the video cards out now. If anyone is still looking at this post, heres another quick question. i understand intel will be out with a new processor, which will require a new MB. However the AMD AM+2 boards can handle the next processer AMD will be coming out with? If thats the case, would it be better to just get a cheap AMD CPU and a good MB and hold out? I know Intel has the upper hand, for now. Thanks, Jeff

gators1223

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
not really becasue amds is delayed and intel's chip will destroy the current high ends intel chips, while amd hasn't yet come close to beating the said intel chips out right now