Seagate Quality?

markjx

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Hello Tom's Hardware readers,

This is my first post, so please be gentle. :)

I'm using five Seagate 1.5 TB Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS drives at a customer's site. One died within ~6 weeks. I replaced it. That died with about six weeks. Today, I checked the other four: they are *all* dying.

At another customer site, I'm using about 16 of the same drives. Last week, I started checking them. I've got a stack of eight that are dying. I haven't checked them all yet.

Symptom: Bad Sectors. Seagate has told me that if I see SMART reporting bad sectors, that means that the drive is failing and should be replaced.

All in all, the drives are in probably six different computers: an old Xeon server, new Xeon workstations, Core 2 workstations, and some i7 workstations. So, I don't think it's a controller, power supply, or driver issue. Some drives are in external workstations. Some are direct connected to controllers / mother boards. Others are in hot swap arrays (I love the Kingwin KF-4000!)

Seagate's response is that these drives are meant for "single drive systems", or something like that. Since I'm using them in RAID's, the drives can't handle the vibrations of being next to other drives.

Does anyone have any other experience with these drives? I'm seeing incredible failure rates!

Should I just replace them and hope that the next batch is better? Should I go with a different drive?

I've placed an order for some Barracuda ES.2, and Western Digital RE3 drives. They're much more expensive ($/GB), but maybe they'll be worth it.

I know there are a bunch of smart people on here, so I'm curious to see what you people have to say!

Thanks,

MJ

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Overall i think seagate hds are of good quality, exept the 7200.11s, which had that firmware bug. id avoid buying that version even if they said they fixed it, besides the 12s are better.

Your problem is not all that uncommon, about 2 or 3 times a month i read a post here in the fourms about people having mass hard drive failures.
I have heard that you shouldent use regular harddrives in RAID as it causes drive failures. The manufacturers recomends using special "RAID edition" hard drives, so maybe you should look into those.

consumer drives work fine in RAID, its just that some drives time out when using a RAID controller card (not the crappy onboard in the motherboard) which causes them to drop from the array

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"Seagate's response is that these drives are meant for "single drive systems", or something like that. Since I'm using them in RAID's, the drives can't handle the vibrations of being next to other drives. "

:O

Thanks for this, I know i'll never buy one now. you were lucky not to have the firmware issues anyway.

Though I do remember seagate drives were sometimes a little pessimistic with their SMART readouts. my 750gig one reports some poor SMART results after heavy use, but its been going fine for a few years now.

Wow, that is bad. Normally I'd just say bad luck, but that is more so. Are all the drives cooled well? I have a couple Seagates that work great, but I don't use them in any super stressful way. I have gone back to WD now though for their longer warranty. Might be good for you too, just in case you have a hard drive curse :lol:

randomizer

Champion

If you have alot of drives tightly packed in the same drive cage then the amplified rotational vibration might eventually cause a problem. But otherwise they just want you to purchase a (likely) more expensive drive. Many people run RAID arrays with non-"RAID edition" drives with more than 4 together.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
There's a chance it's a defective batch from the same supplier. It's something you'll eventually encounter with any HDD manufacturers when ordering drives for a a large array.

For ST31500341AS in particular there's only been one firmware issue relating to performance which was solved within a few months after initial shipment. This firmware issue is not related to the bricking firmware found in drives like ST31000340AS.

From experience extra measures in vibration prevention is only needed for 24+ drives so vibration is unlikely the cause. This of course assumes a typical heavy duty server chassis was utilitised. 6-8 drives for desktop tower cases is no problem obviously.

Since you're using more than 3 drive in an array I'd say Barracuda ES or WD RE would be more suitable, for the sake of having TLER (although it can be enabled on all WD drives). Besides that the firmware compared to desktop version are almost identical. The higher price of those drives come from 5yr enterprise warranty.

samsbery

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hi,

I bought Maxtor OneTouch4 an year ago, in between once they already replaced me as it was died and now it got died again, they are ready to replace it again as it has 5 years warrenty.

Does anyone else facing the same issues ?

Cheers
S

NONOFYOURBIZ

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012

This model is cursed. I have two failing on me now. Bad block count keeps increasing.