2 Fan's from laptop cooler - where do i put them in my desktop PC?

Thom47

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Aight, here's the situation.
I found a zalman cooler from junkyard near here, and i was wondering could I benefit these fans in my desktop PC.

The fans are connected to a small chip, which gets it's power from an USB cable, which is about five inches long .

Well the problem is, where do i put them inside my desktop PC to get best benefit?
Or will the fans just cause more heat by blowing the air against other fan etc.

Here are some pictures, they lack in quality (especially the one i drew :D), but i hope they give some idea.
Probably the easiest way to tell where to put them is to save one pic and then edit it.
]
thefanthingygo2.jpg

asdafhl4.jpg

picture3vv8.jpg

Awaiting replies :)

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
If you were trying to be funny, you did a great job. Cheers.

If not scrap all that stuff and install a regular case fan in the open spot for it in the rear of the chassis.

Thom47

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

I live there.

If you were trying to be funny, you did a great job.
Yeah well, i knew people would laugh a lot at the topic, mostly the reason why i posted all of those pictures :na:

From your picture, those are blowers(air blows out the side) not fans(blades pull air right through). Since they are blowers, you need to keep the shroud with them. Where fan they go? maybe blowing at a hard drive and one fan be made into a pci bracket exhaust?.

Thom47

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

Well i also forgot to mention that my CPU is overclocked (raised the vcore too) so It's running pretty hot.
Where should i put the fan to provide some cool air to it, without causing it to just blow air in there for nothing?

Thom47

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

Hmm, i didn't really get that one, probably due to my lame English.
Could you explain again? Or draw it to the picture, if ya ain't too buzy.

Thom47

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Ah, i see.
This might sound bit stupid, so I'll just block the hole and set the fan to blow air towards the hot air that's coming against it?

Oh well, i suppose i could think & test something on my own, lol

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
This guy is crazy LOL

Funny thread!!!!

Or you could trun the fan around and blow the hot air out of the chassis.

Thom47

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

Well once i found a computer which had a broken hardrive, but working Asrock S754 mobo!

Oh, and the correct word is CHEAP not Crazy :p

Thom47

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Oh, btw the fan is attached to a panel (as you can see in pic1), this forces the air to go through the hole -> then out of the computer, so is this OK?
Hope you understood what i ment lol.

picture 1 shows the blower. Those are not well suited to your desktop.

A general ATX case has a fan at the back removing air. From picture 2 you have no such fan. I am suggesting you add one or if you have one in the front move it to the back blowing air out of the case. This will remove the extra cpu generated heat from the case faster.

Just a generic image i made. A fan in the back is a must. the front is optional. Blowers have not real place in your current setup. Many cases also have a fan in front of the hard drive to cool it too.
atxao8.gif

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008

Hi, your Cheap, and im Thrifty *shakes hand*. You have quite a bit of a way to learn in the course of ghetto rigging, I recommend you get a swiss army knife, rubber band, and a paper clip and you should have all you need to set up that computer set up properly or disarm a bomb. Just go MacGyver on it!

Yes, if you find your drive getting too hot(if the fan was cooling it), go to the scrapyard and steal some fans from another pc :)

There are things that can be done with blowers. Mostly making your own pci slot blower out of one of those.

With a little tweaking and one of those blowers you can make this. Can remove hot air from above or below the video card.
BTSB80SBK_Pro.jpg