What could my problem be? (monitor does not recognize pc)

Axis of Weasel

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
So I'm putting together a pc from brand new and spare parts. the spare parts are old, (~2001) and haven't been used since ~2006. i figured Id use them to make a cheap pc for a friend.

the old parts worked when i pulled them but since then i cant verify that they work. now when i start up, I cant even bring up the BIOS screen -- the monitor doesnt see any pc input signal. even worse, the speaker connector to the mobo doesnt seem to work so i cant hear if there are any error signals

could the cpu/ram be bad? would it cause the error i'm seeing? could the new mobo be bad or somehow improperly connected? i think i set everything up right. should i just give up and get new mobo/cpu/ram altogether?

new parts:
mobo - Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L
video card - ATI Radeon 9550 8x AGP

old
cpu - Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz
ram - Kingston Value RAM 256 MB 266MHz DDR (2 dimms)

Mondoman

Splendid
You'll need at least a power supply and CPU cooler in addition to what you listed. :)

According to its spec, the MB includes builtin video -- that may be related to your issue. I'd take out the ATI video card and just connect your monitor to the onboard video.

^Then from what he said go into your BIOS and disable the onboard. A lot of the older style mobos that had a IGP would prioratize that and send no signal to the AGP slot.

After that you can plug the GPU in and connect it and you should be set.

TRENDING THREADS