July 30, 2008 2:49:34 AM

hey guys

i am new in here..and i am having a very strange problem with my machine
this is my specs

amd 64 bit 4000+
asus M2A-VM motherboard
amd 690G chipset
2 gig ram ddr2

i recently had an issue with low vcore voltage ( was 1.1v)
i changed my psu and got a new one
now it is 1.3v

but my pc keeps going off every 25 - 30 minutes
each time it goes of , there is no BOD , the monitor simply switches of , the turbo light of the cpu remains red for a long time (5) minutes and the cpu would not start even on power on. After 5 minutes it would start normally and the whole process is repeated...

i was wondering if u guys have any idea what i should do ?

currently vcore voltage in the bios shows 1.33v
is it the vcore voltage ? is der some problem with my cpu ? or my mobo ?

thanks in advance
gokul

More about : vcore voltage problem

July 30, 2008 9:11:27 AM

Well if you think it's your vcore then why not set it to manual and then try 1.5v. See what that does.
July 30, 2008 1:03:56 PM

what is the optimum voltage for vcore anyways ?

is 1.51 safe ? i don't want the cpu to heat up too quickly either...

the temperatures are always flirting with 60 deg C...avg 55 deg C..

anything else ?

my friend suggested that my power supply could be leaking,.
is it possible ? how can i be sure ?

or is it the connectors for the front end power button ?

any help would be appreciated

thanks
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 30, 2008 1:03:58 PM

what is the optimum voltage for vcore anyways ?

is 1.51 safe ? i don't want the cpu to heat up too quickly either...

the temperatures are always flirting with 60 deg C...avg 55 deg C..

anything else ?

my friend suggested that my power supply could be leaking,.
is it possible ? how can i be sure ?

or is it the connectors for the front end power button ?

any help would be appreciated

thanks
a c 217 à CPUs
July 30, 2008 1:44:16 PM

Do you have 'Cool & Quiet' enabled in the BIOS?

Check your power management settings both in the BIOS and Windoze. Sounds like you might have a conflict with S3 / sleep mode settings.
July 30, 2008 6:17:10 PM

yes i do have cool and quiet enabled in the bios..

should i try disabling it ? also one more thing i forgot to mention
when my old power supply which i replace began to give me low vcore voltage(of 1.1v) ..during one of the reboots , my bios showed a warning saying "failure to boot , go to bios and load default settins "

i went to bios n loaded my default settings , mebbe something went wrong when that error came !
right now the pc is behaving very erratically...its been on for 6 hours and hasnt shut down till now...wondering what to do ?
shud i leave it on overnight to test it ? or shud i switch off ..
a c 217 à CPUs
July 30, 2008 7:54:48 PM

catchgokul said:
yes i do have cool and quiet enabled in the bios..

should i try disabling it ? also one more thing i forgot to mention
when my old power supply which i replace began to give me low vcore voltage(of 1.1v) ..during one of the reboots , my bios showed a warning saying "failure to boot , go to bios and load default settins "

i went to bios n loaded my default settings , mebbe something went wrong when that error came !
right now the pc is behaving very erratically...its been on for 6 hours and hasnt shut down till now...wondering what to do ?
shud i leave it on overnight to test it ? or shud i switch off ..

Cool & Quiet will cause the voltage fluctuations depending upon the load on the processor - no worries there.

I think your issue is that your computer goes into sleep mode after idling for a certain amount of time - and it can't properly wake up from its sleep state (for whatever reason).

In Windows XP you can change your power management setting to 'Always On' and see if that helps.

You may also want to reset your CMOS if you continue to get 'nag' BIOS warnings or erratic system behavior related to the power state.

July 31, 2008 4:31:25 AM

reset cmos ..u mean hard reset ? by using some sort of a jumper on the board ?
July 31, 2008 8:04:21 AM

if you reset cmos make sure you know what your bios settings are, yes you can jumper it or simply pull the battery out after you have unplugged it.
July 31, 2008 2:27:23 PM

its been almost more than 25 hours since the last sign of any problems and my pc has been up for almost 20 of those hours..just switched it off for 5 hours when i went to sleep late last nite...so shud i let it go n not worry abt the problems i was having before ?
or should i reset cmos n do whatever !

ps. my asus probe still tells me my vcore voltage is 1.12 v (it says nominal range is 1.45-1.73..is this true ?
July 31, 2008 2:28:39 PM

although in my cmos hardware monitor..it shows vcore voltage 1.32v
August 2, 2008 9:30:08 AM

Well you might want to know why things repaired themselves, mysterious problems tend to mysteriously come back.
August 2, 2008 9:57:37 AM

catchgokul said:
its been almost more than 25 hours since the last sign of any problems and my pc has been up for almost 20 of those hours..just switched it off for 5 hours when i went to sleep late last nite...so shud i let it go n not worry abt the problems i was having before ?
or should i reset cmos n do whatever !

ps. my asus probe still tells me my vcore voltage is 1.12 v (it says nominal range is 1.45-1.73..is this true ?

I find this confusing, reading the above post to what I quoted. You need to be more specific on the CPU, since there are different 4000+ chips. You did mention your MB, and it looks like it an AM2 MB, then I can only assume that your using the Brisbane X2 4000+ that uses 1.25-1.35v, which I found on NewEggs site. Also I can only assume that your Asus probe is only indicating the min and max it saw the vcore, not what it's normal range is.

The only time you need really need to reset the bios is if you set something in the bios that will not allow the system to post. My suggestion is to take more time on reading the manual, and at least be more clear on your components. I'm sure the guys that run AM2 X2 CPU's (or if I'm wrong, 939 system) would give their input on what is going on with your system.
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2008 11:41:42 AM

Might I suggest you take a look at core temp and CPU-Z?

1.1v is undervolted... 1.3-ish is normal
August 2, 2008 2:28:44 PM

Vertigon said:
Well you might want to know why things repaired themselves, mysterious problems tend to mysteriously come back.

what exactly should i do ? this is so frustrating..

also about the information on my cpu..well i am not geek..

i bought the system about a year ago..AM2 socket , X2 4000+ 2.1 ghz
motherboard - Asus M2A-VM AMD690g onboard ATI Radeon x1250 graphics
thats all i know..and talking about the manual..the screenshot in the manual in the hardware monitor shows the vcore voltage to be 1.56
i dunno if this is the desired voltage.

thanks a lot guys..hope i dun have any issues :( 
regards
gokul
August 2, 2008 3:13:36 PM

Ok gokul I found this:

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?op...

It says your range is between 1.25 and 1.35V. I don't think you should worry about the cpu voltage as being your problem because so far it sounds like your within range. Cpu's don't need super precise consistant voltages to function.

I think next time your computer goes wierd you should make a note of the tempreatures because the symptoms sound like they make be caused from overheating, so download realtemp or coretemp and let us know. If shutdown happens approaching 70c then we may need to consider the hsf.
August 2, 2008 3:16:14 PM

What I meant in taking more time in reading it, is to understand the bios better, which helps you become... more of a geek.

Now as far as the picture you see in the manual, that doesn't necessarily mean the vcore is going to be at 1.56, simply because its just showing the bios screen as it is. That pic could definitely been taken when it was running perhaps a different CPU. Or in other words, what you see in that pic, is just showing you what it looks like, it doesn't mean its been setup to what you have for your setup.

From your previous post:

"the temperatures are always flirting with 60 deg C...avg 55 deg C.. "

That is a bit high, I think for that X2 4000+ to be running. Is that the idle temp? Perhaps your HS is dusty and or your airflow is not providing enough cool air to cool your system?

If your running your bios as a normal default value for vcore, it may not be the vcore at all. If your 4000+ hits a certain high temp, it will shut down from a thermal trip to prevent it from burning up.
August 2, 2008 3:23:03 PM

one more thing...if anyone can suggest some good processor + motherboard combination for my lab...we are working on blender for making 3D animation. We needed a machine to make rendering faster..so were looking for some quad core processors with a good front end bus ..so any suggestions for the best one availble in the market ( i mean here in india) either in the intel or amd domain..it would be of great help...
thanks
cheers
August 2, 2008 3:31:41 PM

Vertigon said:
Ok gokul I found this:

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?op...

It says your range is between 1.25 and 1.35V. I don't think you should worry about the cpu voltage as being your problem because so far it sounds like your within range. Cpu's don't need super precise consistant voltages to function.

I think next time your computer goes wierd you should make a note of the tempreatures because the symptoms sound like they make be caused from overheating, so download realtemp or coretemp and let us know. If shutdown happens approaching 70c then we may need to consider the hsf.

thanks a lot..il post my cpu temp as soon as i have free time and i boot into vista.
even i think it mite have been the heat issues after all..but i thought my board would make some sort of an alarm or somethin , i do not have an air conditioner in my room , mebbe that is why the temp is flirting close to 60..and no the idle cpu temp the last time i checked on the hardware monitor was 43 deg C..

cheers
August 2, 2008 3:33:56 PM

If you want true rendering speed you will need to look at a dual socket mainboard, preferably two Quad core processors and then overclock this board. I have a QX9650 running at 4.2Ghz and even at 100% load during a render, it still takes some time. Have a think about your budget in $US and then do some research.
August 2, 2008 4:01:00 PM

budget is like 600$-750$ for the board+cpu...if it helps..

dual socket mainboard..woah..thts a bit too much i think..

right now the labs have 2.4 ghz pentium D machines wid 2 gb rams..and our 5 second animation takes 2 hours ( no of frames 150 , frame size 720 by 540)

we r looking to reduce the rendering time to atleast half...

any oder suggestions ?
i was looking at q6700 ...also theres AMD phenom..

August 2, 2008 4:18:18 PM

If your looking at rendering boxes go for the 45nm chips, they run cooler. The best value is probably the Q9450 right now, which would overclock great on a X48 board, or even P45.
August 2, 2008 4:20:17 PM

thanks a ton..will research more on those..
a c 217 à CPUs
August 2, 2008 4:54:38 PM

catchgokul said:
one more thing...if anyone can suggest some good processor + motherboard combination for my lab...we are working on blender for making 3D animation. We needed a machine to make rendering faster..so were looking for some quad core processors with a good front end bus ..so any suggestions for the best one availble in the market ( i mean here in india) either in the intel or amd domain..it would be of great help...
thanks
cheers

Blender distributed rendering with DrQueue
http://drqueue.org/cwebsite/

Your new rig can be set up as master. Give us a link to your hardware site, a list of the hardware needed (cpu, mobo, ram, psu, etc) and we can make better suggestions. Any entry level dual core microprocessor from AMD or Intel may be used and depending upon your total hardware needs you may be able to purchase 2 low-power rigs for your render farm - and add them to your two existing rigs.

There is a 'dude' at the Anandtech Forums (I can't remember his name) who is really good with render farms using low-cost processors with minimum hardware on *nix operating systems. You may search their threads and post any questions you may have ...

What OS are you using?
August 2, 2008 5:16:50 PM

we use windows xp 32bit on all the machines..we have 12 machines running on pentium D (i dunno the exact model no.) all of em have 2 gig ram and an intel board..(again dunno the name)

thanks for the prompt reply,..
August 2, 2008 5:47:14 PM

and coming back to my peculiar problem (which is now non existent)..well i think the heating might have been the issue after all..
i read this article...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-cooler-fails,16...
if u see the last para..it says.. " However, we found that the AMD Athlon dual core processors don't throttle the clock speed by themselves, but rather shut down the entire system once their temperature exceeds the threshold."

this might be the problem...its amazing how the article was found on the same website :D 
i am already a big fan of tomshardware.com.

cheers
August 3, 2008 2:09:55 AM

Well if that's the case you might want to look for a well priced cooler for your cpu, because the hotter it gets, the worse your thermal problems become, also a cheap case fan or two is cheap insurance against further problems.