37 in. LCD or 42 in. HD Plasma.

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 10, 2005 3:58:20 AM

Hi,
After running around between few local stores and reading and surfing.
Decided on Sharp 37 in. LCD or 42 in. HD Plasma, either Hitachi or
Panasonic. I am gonna get it over with this matter this week end. What
would you pick between these two? I am leaning to Plasma, wife is to
Sharp(she thinks bigger is better)
I already have decent Yamaha surround sound set up with HD cable hook
up. TIA,
Tony

More about : lcd plasma

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 4:06:45 PM

Tony Hwang wrote:

> Hi,
> After running around between few local stores and reading and surfing.
> Decided on Sharp 37 in. LCD or 42 in. HD Plasma, either Hitachi or
> Panasonic. I am gonna get it over with this matter this week end. What
> would you pick between these two? I am leaning to Plasma, wife is to
> Sharp(she thinks bigger is better)
> I already have decent Yamaha surround sound set up with HD cable hook
> up. TIA,
> Tony

How are you planning to use the set? Mostly/entirely as a TV for SD
and HD channels or do you plan to play a lot of computer games with it?

If the answer is only as a TV, then I would recommend you go with the
Panasonic plasma: bigger screen, better black levels, no motion
smear/noise, better contrast, wider viewing angles. If you plan to use
it mostly for playing computer games, then the higher resolution and
lack of burn-in concerns favor the LCD, although you won't have as good
a picture for DVD or HD viewing.

However, burn-in for the Panasonic or better brand name plasmas is not
a major concern so long as you don't watch the same news channel with
the scrolling new bar at the bottom all day long, day after day. Or
computer games for hours & day on end with the same fixed fields. If
that is how the TV will be used, then LCD is the better choice.
Otherwise, burn-in pass the break-in period is not much of a concern.

Lifespan, if you are concerned about this, is also not an issue. Both
the Panasonic plasma and the Sharp LCD are now rated to 60,000 hours to
half-brightness, which is many years of regular use.

In the interest of full disclosure, I own a Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY
commercial plasma monitor and am very satisfied with my choice. If I had
to buy a new TV now, I would go for the 50" plasma.

Alan F
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 8:15:08 PM

afiggatt wrote:
> Tony Hwang wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> After running around between few local stores and reading and surfing.
>> Decided on Sharp 37 in. LCD or 42 in. HD Plasma, either Hitachi or
>> Panasonic. I am gonna get it over with this matter this week end. What
>> would you pick between these two? I am leaning to Plasma, wife is to
>> Sharp(she thinks bigger is better)
>> I already have decent Yamaha surround sound set up with HD cable hook
>> up. TIA,
>> Tony
>

> How are you planning to use the set? Mostly/entirely as a TV for SD and
> HD channels or do you plan to play a lot of computer games with it?
>
> If the answer is only as a TV, then I would recommend you go with the
> Panasonic plasma: bigger screen, better black levels, no motion
> smear/noise, better contrast, wider viewing angles. If you plan to use
> it mostly for playing computer games, then the higher resolution and
> lack of burn-in concerns favor the LCD, although you won't have as good
> a picture for DVD or HD viewing.
>
> However, burn-in for the Panasonic or better brand name plasmas is not
> a major concern so long as you don't watch the same news channel with
> the scrolling new bar at the bottom all day long, day after day. Or
> computer games for hours & day on end with the same fixed fields. If
> that is how the TV will be used, then LCD is the better choice.
> Otherwise, burn-in pass the break-in period is not much of a concern.
>
> Lifespan, if you are concerned about this, is also not an issue. Both
> the Panasonic plasma and the Sharp LCD are now rated to 60,000 hours to
> half-brightness, which is many years of regular use.
>
> In the interest of full disclosure, I own a Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY
> commercial plasma monitor and am very satisfied with my choice. If I had
> to buy a new TV now, I would go for the 50" plasma.
>
> Alan F

Hi,
Thanks for run down. We watch lots of DVD, SD and HD channels from
cable. That's about it. That helps our decision. Wife wins(?), LOL.
Thanks,
Tony
Thanks
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:57:14 AM

Tony Hwang wrote:
> afiggatt wrote:
>
>> Tony Hwang wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> After running around between few local stores and reading and surfing.
>>> Decided on Sharp 37 in. LCD or 42 in. HD Plasma, either Hitachi or
>>> Panasonic. I am gonna get it over with this matter this week end.
>>> What would you pick between these two? I am leaning to Plasma, wife
>>> is to
>>> Sharp(she thinks bigger is better)
>>> I already have decent Yamaha surround sound set up with HD cable hook
>>> up. TIA,
>>> Tony
>>

>> How are you planning to use the set? Mostly/entirely as a TV for SD
>> and HD channels or do you plan to play a lot of computer games with it?
>>
>> If the answer is only as a TV, then I would recommend you go with the
>> Panasonic plasma: bigger screen, better black levels, no motion
>> smear/noise, better contrast, wider viewing angles. If you plan to use
>> it mostly for playing computer games, then the higher resolution and
>> lack of burn-in concerns favor the LCD, although you won't have as
>> good a picture for DVD or HD viewing.
>>
>> However, burn-in for the Panasonic or better brand name plasmas is
>> not a major concern so long as you don't watch the same news channel
>> with the scrolling new bar at the bottom all day long, day after day.
>> Or computer games for hours & day on end with the same fixed fields.
>> If that is how the TV will be used, then LCD is the better choice.
>> Otherwise, burn-in pass the break-in period is not much of a concern.
>>
>> Lifespan, if you are concerned about this, is also not an issue. Both
>> the Panasonic plasma and the Sharp LCD are now rated to 60,000 hours
>> to half-brightness, which is many years of regular use.
>>
>> In the interest of full disclosure, I own a Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY
>> commercial plasma monitor and am very satisfied with my choice. If I
>> had to buy a new TV now, I would go for the 50" plasma.
>>
>> Alan F
>>
> Hi,
> Thanks for run down. We watch lots of DVD, SD and HD channels from
> cable. That's about it. That helps our decision. Wife wins(?), LOL.
> Thanks,
> Tony
> Thanks
Hi,
Plunged. Got a Panasonic TH42PD50UP. So far satisfactory for what it's
used. Funny higher resolution model did not show decisively better
picture side by side.
Tony
!