Computer slowing, starting with bios; and standby

g33ked

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I recently built a new machine with the specs in my signature, and I am now having problems with the machine booting up much slower.

When I started up my computer before I would see the BIOS for about 5 seconds and then it would boot into windows in about 30 seconds.

Now when I start up my computer, I see the BIOS for about 15-30 seconds and then it will boot into windows in about 3-5 minutes.

I am also having trouble with the machine coming out of standby. I have got the computer to default to S3 mode in the BIOS.

What's going on?

~g33ked

Dopekitten

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
I'm not sure, but it could be your processor. Those Phenom's have had a bunch of problems with bugs (still do in B3 stepping). The 3rd core in all the Phenoms is crap most of the time, causes some timing errors resulting in general instability.

But i really don't know for sure. If you have an old AMD processor that can fit in your socket try that. If it works, then its probably the Phenom, if not, then...bad hard drive maybe?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Boot into the bios and see what your voltages are. I don't know exactly why it would do that, I'd guess power supply, though, you do have an ECS board, ECS is not known for being the greatest mobo manufacturer.