Final Critiques Needed, ordering today by 3:00 Eastern

sasmith868

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hi guys, I think I have it finally figured out.

Thanks for your help guys. Feel free to make any final comments or suggestions. The order will be placed this afternoon. I'm eager to see what you all think of this selection.
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=6801945&WishListTitle=SAS2

BTW, Gadgetnerd:I don't mind the Antec 900 and I did consider it. It looks fine but I could live without the lights. Ultimately I'm not so worried about what it looks like. It'll be under my desk, and only my wife and I will see it. I have a pretty ugly one now, but it does the job. As far as the Antec 900, even though It will be under the desk, I don't really want something that generates enough light to perform surgery by.

Case & PSU:
I think I've solved the case/psu issue with this case and PSU come out about $25 less than the Sonata, so it's actually better on the budget.:

Coolermaster Centurion case which has received good reviews, all the front panels are perforated for superior airflow, and hey, it actually looks kinda nice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119047

...and the OCZ StealthXStream 600W Aevm pointed me to... I think has plenty of power for what I need it to run:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

Video Card:
I settled on the EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130286
Remember, I rarely do any gaming. Is there any other reason I would need a super powerful GPU? My main need here is the dual DVI for my twin Samsung 19" LCD 1440x900 monitors.

Memory:
Kicked up the memory to the OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) Aevm suggested. With the rebates totaling $85 (Memory: $25, PSU $30, VGA $30) I'll get enough back to cover the shipping and then some, so I'm back down closer to the $700 price point I was shooting for.

The rest can be seen on the wishlist. https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=6801945&WishListTitle=SAS2

Will be ordering around 2:00 or 3:00 this afternoon (eastern). Please feel free to suggest last minute changes.

Cpt Deadboots

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Everything looks great, except....

That video card is a HORRIBLE buy for the price. $120 (which is that card's price AR) will buy you an EVGA 8800 GS (which has a $30 MIR right now, making it $90 AR), which should garner roughly twice the performance of that 8600 in any given instance.

However, it sounds like you will not need anywhere near that much power. If you just want a good card with dual DVI, get the cheaper 8600 GT (should be able to pick one up for around $60 AR) or Radeon HD 2600 XT/HD 3650. These cards get near the performance of that GTS.

sasmith868

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Thanks Captain! I switched the 8600 for the 8800GS you mention in your signature line. Now I'm at about $757 with $85 in rebates! Sweet. This should work out well I think. Thanks for the tip!

sasmith868

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Yeah, the stealthstream will be in the back of the unit and under my desk, as opposed to the bright lights on the front fans of the Antec 900.

Thanks for the added vote on the 8800GS (you too y2kgtp). You guys have really saved me $ and increased performance for me with your feedback!

sasmith868

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Thanks Captain!

I just took an even closer look at the system you list in your sig. Mine doesn't look all that different from yours. Any problems running Vista Ultimate on that machine? I've been debating whether to go Vista (probably biz, probably 64bit) or stick with my XP Pro for a while until they work some more kinks out of Vista.

Your thoughts?

clay12340

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I can't speak for your build in general, but I'd check the applications that you will need as much haves for compatibility first. Nearly everything will run in Vista 64, but sometimes you've got to tweak some settings and let it run in compatibility mode or as an administrator etc. It's not quite as tray and play as 32 bit XP generally was, but I think more of that will come with time.

With that said if you have the ram it is always a shame to run a 32 bit system and only get to use part of it. At least that's how I always felt.

Cpt Deadboots

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I like Vista just fine. Service Pack 1 actually just came out; that should have fixed some of the "kinks" that you mentioned.

So far the only thing I have had not work properly is ATITool (won't let me set frequencies or fan speeds). Not a big deal (RivaTuner is better anyway). I run most other things that are not specifically "Vista Certified" or do not work right away in "Compatibility Mode" (for XP SP2) and they have worked fine.

One thing you may find rather annoying switching from XP is the "User Account Control" that Vista utilizes as an extra security feature. Every time you try to open a program, a pop-up will ask for your permission to run the selected file. You can disable this in the Security Center if you would rather not have to deal with it.

Overall, I enjoy Vista's interface and capabilities. Some will argue that XP is "better", but I think that it is mostly a matter of getting used to a new OS. XP had a lot of kinks when it first came out too.

You will only be able to use 3.5 GB of your memory in a 32-bit OS anyway.

sasmith868

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Good info, thanks! A friend of a friend works for MS, and may be able to get Vista for me thru the company store. If I can get it cheap like that I'll do it, otherwise it will have to wait until the end of the summer.

Thanks for all your advice today Cap'n, I appreciate it!!

About to hit the "Check Out" button,

- Scott