HD boot problems

Last response: in Storage
October 5, 2009 7:55:29 PM

Hi,

Intel DP965LT
Intel Core 2 P2.4ghz
3 gig RAM
Asus X300SE/TD 128mb DDR

I am trying to build a media center for my living room.

I have a SATA drive full of media which I would like to play on this computer/media center. I also have Vista installed on a IDE HD which I was planning on using to boot into and subsequently into Media center.

I have come across a problem which is stumping me. (PC hardware builder/user for 15 years).

I first hooked the IDE drive to the one IDE slot on the mobo. I then hooked the SATA up to the first SATA slot on the mobo.

I then set the BIOS (and BIOS recognised both drives!) to boot from the IDE (Vista).

It then took me to a black screen and said "BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

I then took out the IDE and put in a different IDE HD with XP. This booted fine into XP, but did not see the SATA. I took the IDE HD out.

I then stripped the HD's from the machine and started again.

I thought sod it, I will try and install a new OS on the IDE HD. So I configured BIOS to boot from my recognised and seemingly working IDE DVD drive. It wouldn't boot, not even with a Vista/XP/Win7 image disc.

I have tried booting using just the IDE devices and it says the same thing, although sometimes (seemingly random) it will say "non system disc" etc...

I have read on a few forums that SATA and IDE often don't like each other and won't work on the same controller. Well why would the mobo manufacturers include an IDE and SATA on the mobo? I am pretty sure this is NOT the problem. But I am open to any suggestion, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Plz help.

Tom.

More about : boot problems

October 6, 2009 2:02:09 AM

Hi,

I've got the same issue of a Vista install that says "BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". I googled it and found a suggestion that if you boot in the vista install there is a startup repair option that is supposed to fix it - didn't in my case although I suspect that is due to a power cut I had while updating Vista after a fresh install and more than one thing got screwed up

I'm assuming that each time you tried a different hard drive/DVD combo you made sure to set the bios correctly? (yes I am stating the obvious)

Have you tried flashing the BIOS with the latest version? see if that helps at all?
How many IDE channels do you have? I know if the DVD and HD are on the same channel, speed will be slow.
Is BIOS recognising the drives correctly when plugged in?
Are the SATA and IDE leads seated properly?
Can you install windows from the IDE DVD drive to a SATA HD?

I know I've stated a lot of things that you've most likely done and are obvious but at the moment I'm not sure what else to suggest. If I find more out, will post!
October 6, 2009 7:06:52 AM

Suggested solution(s):

This usually occurs when 2 drives are set ACTIVE. I encountered this problem several times.

Solution 1

install vista into one HDD only. If you partitioned it, make sure the OS will be installed on the first partition (the topmost, Drive C).

Solution 2

If you have two or more physical HDDs, unplug the those HDDs and do Solution 1. After successfully installed Vista, shut it down, then plug the unplugged HDDs.

Hope this helps :) 
Related resources
October 6, 2009 5:36:15 PM

I would check the Boot order of the drives in the BIOS and make certain that the IDE drive is first in the boot order.
a c 348 G Storage
October 7, 2009 4:08:27 PM

In all of this I saw nothing about jumpers and Master / Slave settings on the IDE devices. Maybe you got it all right. But just in case, let's review, because with all the changes you are talking about you would have HAD to make jumper changes.

Your Intel mobo has one IDE port, which can handle up to two devices. You were trying to use both an IDE HDD with Vista installed, and a DVD drive, which should be do-able, assuming you have an IDE ribbon data cable with three connectors on it. To do this, you MUST set them up this way:

1. One end of the cable goes into the mobo IDE port - I've forgotten which color connector goes here. The HDD MUST have its jumpers set to Master (or Master with Slave Present, if that is a choice). Ideally it should be plugged into the END connector.
2. Set the DVD's jumpers to Slave, and plug into the middle connector.

With those settings and the SATA drive hooked up, you should be able to set up in BIOS a Boot Priority that includes the IDE HDD, perhaps as the second choice after trying the DVD drive, and NO other choices. Now, you still could have a problem. Vista is installed on that HDD, but I bet it was taken from a different machine. This means that it already has a bunch or device drivers installed, but probably the wrong ones for the mobo and peripherals in the new machine. To fix that you need the original Vista Install Disk. Put it into the DVD drive and boot from it, then choose a Repair Install. It will survey the driver collection, remove the wrong ones, and install the right ones for this machine. This SHOULD fix the problem and make you able to boot from the IDE hard drive with the corrected driver collection.

When you replaced that HDD with another that had XP installed, you could not see the SATA drive. Well, XP never knew how to handle HDD's that were not IDE devices, whereas Vista and Win 7 do. There are two ways to deal with this, both pretty simple for your case. One is to go into the BIOS Setup screens where the SATA port modes are set. There are usually four configuration choices: IDE (aka PATA) emulation, native SATA, AHCI, or RAID. You certainly don't want or need RAID, but for XP's sake you can set to IDE emulation, and the BIOS will fool Windows into believing this is an old-style plain IDE drive it knows all about, and it all works. (When you tried using Windows Vista, it did not need the BIOS to intervene this way because it already knows about native SATA.) The other way is to leave the BIOS in native SATA mode, and just load the required SATA device drivers into Windows XP. Since you are not trying to BOOT from the SATA drive, this works, too, because XP will boot from the IDE drive it already understands and then load the SATA device drivers before trying to use the SATA device for data.

Note, however, that using a HDD with an XP installation on it from another machine still has the potential for trouble with wrong drivers, and may still need the Repair Install process to resolve it.

So your next attempt was to mount an IDE HDD and your DVD drive on the IDE port, boot from the DVD and install fresh from it to the IDE HDD unit. Should work. BUT you MUST arrange jumpers on both IDE units so that there is ONE Master and ONE Slave. As outlined above, the Master should be the HDD, and it should be on the END connector. Thus, the DVD should be the Slave on the middle connector. When doing this, I'd recommend disconnecting the SATA drive just to avoid any confusion about what device is the target for installation. AFTER the Windows install is working you can add in the SATA device and make sure it works, too.

There absolutely should NOT be any problem having both IDE and SATA devices in one machine. Mine (an ASUS mobo system from a couple years ago) has two IDE optical drives, each set as Masters on their own separate IDE ports (mobo has two), two 320 GB Seagate SATA drives on ports set to IDE emulation because I'm using XP SP2 and booting from one of these drives, plus a Seagate 500 GB unit mounted in an external enclosure connected through a true eSATA port provided by a mobo controller chip.

You should be aware of a slightly confusing thing. When you set a SATA port to IDE Emulation mode, the BIOS screens tend to label those drives as IDE drives (even though they are SATA devices), but with port names like IDE3 Master and IDE4 Master, etc. (By the way, when they do this, you will probably will NOT see an IDE4 Slave, because the SATA port only handles one device, and it's the "Master" of the Emulated IDE port.)
!