GA-P35-S3G Overclocking Issues

FoldedSteel

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Ok well, basically I'm having a really hard time getting this system to like any kind of OC. I go from 333 x 9 to 400 x 9 and it crashes. Hell I can't raise the FSB by 2 before it crashes. I've tried 4 different BIOS now, F1-F4, they all produced the same results. Tried all different settings in the BIOS, see if anything was causing the OC to fail, nothing. Picked up a new heatsink for the NB, was running a little warm, that wasn't my issue either. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0ghz, Zalman 9500 Cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G, Zalman Chipset Cooler
2gb DDR2 800mhz G.Skil 5-5-5-15 (will run 4-4-4-12) 1.8-2.0V
EVGA SuperClocked 9800gtx 512mb
250gb Western Digital 16mb Cache 7200rpm SATA HDD
x2 20x DVDRW/CDRW Samsung Optical Drives
750watt Quad 12v Rail Silverstone PSU
Lian Li Black Case, Full wire mod, UV fans/cathodes

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n56/Skky85/IMG_1179.jpg

These are the full system specs if this helps any. Thanks.

Mondoman

Splendid
First, I'd run memtest86+ as a basic check of the RAM. Next, run Orthos or similar PRIME95-based stress tester to check CPU+RAM. Of course, first make sure you have set the RAM/DIMM voltage in the BIOS to the spec voltage of 2.0V for your RAM. After that, try the stock Intel CPU cooler, since your Zalman 9500 doesn't cool the PWM area and northbridge like the stock cooler does.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
My guess is that you have some memory timing issues.

If you are having trouble with current Gigabyte boards, I recommend going to tweaktown.com where they have a Gigabyte forum to provide free technical support for their motherboards, graphics cards and other products!

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

I had memory timing issues on my P35-DS3L (with e8400) that I could not resolve and posted on their board and got a response within 2 hours - on the 4th of July. There are several moderators - if you get lsdmeasap, tell him hello for me. He was a lifesaver for me. Helped me tweak memory timings to make my memory work properly.

FoldedSteel

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Yeah to be quite honest I'm thinking the board was just a lemon, thing just went out on me. It posts, then shuts down...and gets stuck in this infinite loop. BIOS jumper does nothing, nor does removing the BIOS battery. The BIOS was not remembering my settings, such a strange board haha. Tried replacing the battery, nothin. Going to see if I can RMA through Gigabyte, thanks for the help guys.

bilbat

Splendid
Before RMA, I, too, would REALLY suggest checking out TweakTown. The have an EXTREMELY detailed brand-specific OCing guide there, provided a step-by-step guide to testing & tweaking - might be one simple setting keeping you out of the race:)