Underclocking the Q6600 multiplier?

thomas89

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Hey everyone,

**first of all, I'm a beginner at over/underclocking and I've done as much reading as I can before I started this thread**

I'm trying to figure out how to decrease the multiplier in my Intel core 2 quad Q6600 chip. I realise that the chip is Locked, so the multiplier can't be increased over 9 and is supposed to have a Core Speed of 2400 MHz. I found the topic about overclocking the Q6600, and I using Nvidias nTune I figured out how to temporarily change the FBS with the slider. However, the multiplier has no slider:
ntune.gif

I'm trying to find a way to do it with software rather than changing the BIOS settings. I would love it if someone could give me a hand. Here's a screenshot of my computer stats:

cpuz.gif

Thanks so much in advance!

thomas89

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I tried finding the multiplier in BIOS but couldn't find it there sadly, all i found was the front bus frequency. Thanks for the tip randomizer, but crystal CPUID doesnt seem to work on a 32 bit :(

randomizer

Champion
It should work, in fact it should work BETTER on 32-bit if anything. Did you make sure you got the right version (I can't remember if there's more than one)?

The mutiplier could be under an odd name, but it should be around the same page as the FSB freq.

thomas89

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

after selecting the fail-safe settings (screwed something up pc was too slow), CPU ratio somehow turned up! so i guess i can change it there. I'll give CrystalUID another shot and ill let you know

thomas89

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

Not that I know of, the only updates I've done to my computer are windows service packs and some of my drivers. Isnt a BIOS update called flashing? I'm pretty sure I've never done that. My BIOS screen has a lot of different options now that I did not have before. This pc isnt self-assembled, perhaps the store changed the settings in the BIOS?

thomas89

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

When i launched windows afterwards it went on "finding new hardware", and installing my video card and such. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it, crystal CPUID seems to work!