A bit of confusion with GA-EP45-DS3R and SATA drivers

superbicycletony

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Hi

I am about to build a computer for the first time and am just reading through all the doco and downloading drivers and stuff.
I am just a bit confused over the SATA downloads for the board as found on the gigabyte website:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2842

I understand that I need either preinstall driver (Intel ICH9R/ICH10R Driver (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy)) on a floppy or usbstick(for vista) when installing the OS. But what is the 20Mb download (Intel ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID Driver) for?

Do I need both?

I won't be running raid but I believe I should be using AHCI so I need to do this?

As I said a bit confused.

Thanks
Tony

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I have no experience with your board, but just did a build with the P35-DS3L and it game with a CD or DVD to conveniently do all the set up required at one time straight from the disc. After that I did go to he Gigabyte sight to download updated drivers to support e8400 - but for the P45 it is supported in the original BIOS.

superbicycletony

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Aah ok thanks. SO I should make sure the raid/ahcisetting is disabled in the bios.
I would still need the floppy disc for the driver during install for xp/vista? or is that only for raid/ahci?