computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
heres a question, which placement of fan is better? the rear or the side?

Side fan - Stand right parallel to the CPU, allowing the heat to quickly leave the computer, although the fan is'nt at the top most side of the case, so some heat still may remain at the top most area, as heat rises up

Rear fan - These fan(s) are located at the rear of the computer, most likely at the up most top and right next to the CPU, allowing cool air to enter from the front fans and out the rear fans allows easy cooling, although it might not be as effective as the side fan since the side fan is much larger 200mm, compared to the 120mm fans, which makes much more heat dissipate from the CPU as the side fan stands right over it

Some exampls, a Cooler master and an Antec 1200, sorry for no links, i usually dont chekc out cooler masters but i know some of their brands have a side fan

Those large fans on the side panels blow cool air into the pc case.

I have the CoolerMaster HAF 932. The large fan on the side panel blows cool air into the case as does the bottom front fan. The hot air is exhausted out through the fans on the rear panel and top panel. Results are outstanding.

The CoolerMaster Storm Sniper is similar; however, if I recall correctly it does not come with a fan on the side panel. Don't know why they left it out.

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I'd say rear fan, depends if you have a fan that faces to the back or to the side though really. There can be cabling issues with side fans above the cpu as well, it's really for the gpu not the cpu, I'm just modding my coolermaster 330 to add an extra side fan just above the gpu.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
ooo you can mod the case? wont something get in the way of the fan? i think the fan wont fit in cuz of the MB, that cooler master HAF 932 sounds good, ill check it out, hmm what if you have all fans blowing out? is that even possible?

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
It depends really, mine has a clear plastic window so I'm getting a drill bit of the appropriate size for the screw and drilling the four mounting holes then various others to allow air out (you can just cut out a bit circle using a jigsaw or individual holes or make a pattern). Otherwise you need a drill that can go through metal.
As long as you plan where you want the fan it shouldn't be obstructive.
You can have all fans blowing out but it's not advisable as you need a combination of cold air coming in and warm air being exhausted otherwise the hot air just goes back in.