Ide caviar 16mb vs ide hitachi 8mb

CarmineB

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
hi Im stuck with two choices and Im leaning toward the hitachi but the wd has a 16mb cache, which is better:

Manufacturer : Western Digital
Model No: WD5000AAKB
Capacity: 500 GB
Edition: Caviar SE16
Form Factor: 3.5"
Rotation Speed: 7200 rpm
Cache: 16MB
Access Time: 8.9 ms
Interface: IDE (PATA)
Data Transfer Rate: 100 MBPs

Manufacturer : Hitachi
Model No: P7K500
Capacity: 500 GB
Edition: Deskstar
Form Factor: 3.5"
Rotation Speed: 7200 rpm
Cache: 8MB
Access Time: 8.5 ms
Interface: IDE (PATA)
Data Transfer Rate: 133 MBPs

I run a lot of videos mostly in 720p or >, so speed and reliability(product life) are my main concerns.

Also is it possible to run the primary drive (c:) from a pci sata interface card?? I think not but I could be wrong? My motherboard is ide, I was planning on running an ide primary and a sata secondary drive. The pci sata card has an internal port (I have 2 cards).

Thanks for any help

For apps that Hitachi would be little better with lower Access time...But for data transfer, that WD would be better...Get the WD...it would perform overall better because of the additional cache...

D

Deleted member 217926

Yes you can run a primary drive from a PCI SATA card. I ran a RAID 0 primary with 2 SATA Seagate 160s from a PCI card with an old Gigabyte 865PE chipset. No onboard SATA it was a first gen LGA775 board. It did fine and I think I paid $15 for the card.
If you do that dont even bother with IDE drives.....SATA will be faster with the card.

CarmineB

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Ok thanks guys - I'll probably be going with sata then as 1tb sata drives are the same price as 500gb ide's! I don't know why they're the newer tech, much faster than ide (1gbps on pci)- its like bluray being cheaper than dvd.

Cheers