Your question

Can not log on to windows xp error0xc000012d task manager exe-application error

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
October 15, 2010 10:08:55 PM

My friend's cp.. notebook Compaq Presario 2500

she can not get past the log on.... clicks her name
it says loading your settings.

then an error box comes up.... 0xc000012d the application failed to initialnize properly.

you can click ..ok to termintae the application

We tried placing the restore disk in nothing happened... pushing the f12 key
and also trying the ctrl-alt-del keys
can not get into the system.. not even to reboot

she is computer illiterate and i just plunge inthere and rout around and use cp manuels or disks that come with it.

any suggestions

thank you
Marie
October 16, 2010 5:09:35 AM

Quote:
My friend's cp.. notebook Compaq Presario 2500

she can not get past the log on.... clicks her name
it says loading your settings.

then an error box comes up.... 0xc000012d the application failed to initialnize properly.

you can click ..ok to termintae the application

We tried placing the restore disk in nothing happened... pushing the f12 key
and also trying the ctrl-alt-del keys
can not get into the system.. not even to reboot

she is computer illiterate and i just plunge inthere and rout around and use cp manuels or disks that come with it.

any suggestions

thank you
Marie

Hello, Marie and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums. Can you boot into Safe Mode by tapping Function 8 when you switch on, until you can see the Advanced Boot menu? That loads fewer drivers and programmes than the usual boot so the chances of your problem utility getting in the way are lessened. Your friend may have a malware infection which has upset the winlogon process but if it's any other application and if you can load Safe Mode go Start then Run and type msconfig into the box and hit Enter. Click the Startup tab and untick everything, click Apply and OK your way out. Let the system restart and let it try Normal Mode - it may even load.

If it is a malware infection, look at our genial Moderator Aford10's sticky post at the head of the XP>Security Forum and follow his advice. You may need to download the utilities required on to your machine and then on a memory stick to transfer over. I recommend that you run CCleaner before MalwareBytes to give it fewer files to look through, then run it again later as Aford10 suggests.

m
l
!