Sign in with
Your question

Prime95 failing even on stock settings!

Last response: in Overclocking
May 11, 2009 6:52:03 AM

first off, I felt this was the best suited category.

I have a recently upgraded machine from XP to vista premium and on XP I was running a DFI x38 board with 4gb (3gb in XP), 1gb each in each slot 1066/5-5-5-15 patriot RAM with an e8400 intel chip. I had it at about 4ghz (445FSB x 9) and the memory still at 1066. The overclock ran 48 hours in prime95 with the default blend test with 2 threads. stable in XP; but now in vista it fails within minutes overclocked, and fails in under 2 hours on stock settings! what could possibly be the problem???

and before anyone asks, on stock settings I did manually set the RAM to the correct voltage after defaulting to stock settings in the BIOS.

any help is greatly appreciated!
May 11, 2009 7:43:43 AM

when you say 3gb's of ram in XP, are you implying that you added a fourth gig when you upgraded to vista? Or something along the lines of going from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS?

I would download and run memtest 86+ and see how that fares. My initial guess is that it is the memory that is the problem
May 11, 2009 8:08:22 AM

have you checked the actual voltage when the box is up? my x38 (gigabyte) board's memory voltage sags once it boots, even if i have it set to the "correct" voltage, if i have all 4 slots occupied. i have to nudge the memory voltage up one extra notch with 4 sticks (along with my usual FSB and MCH increases).
Related resources
May 11, 2009 10:56:20 AM

willg95 said:
first off, I felt this was the best suited category.

I have a recently upgraded machine from XP to vista premium and on XP I was running a DFI x38 board with 4gb (3gb in XP), 1gb each in each slot 1066/5-5-5-15 patriot RAM with an e8400 intel chip. I had it at about 4ghz (445FSB x 9) and the memory still at 1066. The overclock ran 48 hours in prime95 with the default blend test with 2 threads. stable in XP; but now in vista it fails within minutes overclocked, and fails in under 2 hours on stock settings! what could possibly be the problem???

and before anyone asks, on stock settings I did manually set the RAM to the correct voltage after defaulting to stock settings in the BIOS.

any help is greatly appreciated!

i think memtest and super pi is a better program than prime 95 for testing your stability
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2009 12:38:26 PM

^Wrong!

1. Memtest 86+ only tests RAM
2. SupperPI does NOT stress the CPU like Prime95 Small FFTs. P95, Ortho, OCCT are all about the same for stress testing. SupperPI is a benchmarking program and not meant as a true stress testing program.

====
@OP:
Like said check RAM first. Also check temps. If your CPU is over heating even at stock (due to incorrect HSF mounting) then P95 will fail. Also are you running Vista x86 or x64?
May 11, 2009 12:51:14 PM

dont tell me you have an msi motherboard?

MANUALLY SET EVERYTHING IN THE BIOS

also use the 1:1 ram ratio, afterall that 1066 or whatever "stock" speed is useless unless overclocking etc
May 11, 2009 2:11:43 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^Wrong!

1. Memtest 86+ only tests RAM
2. SupperPI does NOT stress the CPU like Prime95 Small FFTs. P95, Ortho, OCCT are all about the same for stress testing. SupperPI is a benchmarking program and not meant as a true stress testing program.

====
@OP:
Like said check RAM first. Also check temps. If your CPU is over heating even at stock (due to incorrect HSF mounting) then P95 will fail. Also are you running Vista x86 or x64?

no,you are wrong
for memtest i am talking about memtest 3.8,not the old version
if you activate 8 memtest in 64bit system then you can stress your system to 100%
i am using that now
for superpi i guess you don't know a low about it too
there's something called hyperpi which could stress all 8 cores and complete the test in a short time instead of running for the whold night like prime 95
it does not have to be a true stress program to know whether or not your system is stable.
May 11, 2009 4:46:33 PM

ya stressing your system at 100% for longer ensures better stability
May 11, 2009 6:48:53 PM

kyeana said:
when you say 3gb's of ram in XP, are you implying that you added a fourth gig when you upgraded to vista? Or something along the lines of going from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS?

I would download and run memtest 86+ and see how that fares. My initial guess is that it is the memory that is the problem

no. i had the 4 1gb sticks in with XP too. xp only read 3 out of 4gb since that's how it worked.
May 11, 2009 6:50:38 PM

and i have also tested memtest86 both in the operating system itself overnight as well as the deluxe version that runs off of a floppy on bootup and there were no errors in the tests. and i'm just running the 32-bit version of vista, fyi
May 11, 2009 6:59:37 PM

so it doesn't sound like the memory is the problem (assuming memtest86 worked. It does great about catching bad DIMM's but is weaker in the bad timings department).

What i would do next is manually set all your voltages, CPU, North/Southbridge, ect, and manually set your cpu speed to stock settings (not using auto). Also for the time being set the Ram at a 1:1 ratio. This may underclock it a little bit, but will be helpful for determining what your problem is.

Another thing to check is if there are any new bios out for your board.
May 11, 2009 7:01:10 PM

PS what power supply are you using in this system?
May 11, 2009 7:02:53 PM

kyeana said:
PS what power supply are you using in this system?

it's a 700W thermaltake. and i'll try manually setting everything in the bios
May 11, 2009 7:35:34 PM

nope... set everything manually (what i could manually, most of the default settings were already correct). and now it just freezes up while running prime95. i even had he multiplier at 6x for 2ghz and it still froze. i even upped the voltage a bit while underclocked and it made no difference. :-\
May 11, 2009 7:44:40 PM

Even if the auto settings has everything correct, go ahead and manually set them.

Any word on the bios update?

Also go ahead and try re downloading the newest version of prime95 and running it at stock settings with only 1 DIMM in.
May 11, 2009 7:48:05 PM

ok. i'l try the 1 DIMM and newer prime95 later. i have to go to work :( 

i'll keep you posted

oh. and i do have the lastest bios update
May 11, 2009 11:31:38 PM

Quote:
Exactly how is what you describe better than P95 though?

i said it was better for be,not better than P95
one of the best advantage is it take less time
May 11, 2009 11:52:27 PM

but less time doesn't equate to being stable....That is the point of the multiple hour tests.
May 12, 2009 11:44:43 AM

kyeana said:
but less time doesn't equate to being stable....That is the point of the multiple hour tests.

how do you know? Memtest could run for days too
a b K Overclocking
May 12, 2009 12:27:52 PM

Memtest86(+) stresses jack all other than your RAM. It writes to RAM, reads it back and compares. Your CPU would have to be quite unstable to be unable to compare a bunch of patterns, in which case any real CPU stress tester would fail within seconds.

SuperPi is not HyperPi, you talk about one then the other. SuperPi is singlethreaded and inefficient; any barely stable CPU can pass it.

Prime95 Small FFTs provides a constant near-100% load which is why it is generally considered the best.
a b K Overclocking
May 12, 2009 12:29:26 PM

ryanytchan said:
one of the best advantage is it take less time

ryanytchan said:
Memtest could run for days too

That's a bit contradictory.
May 12, 2009 10:54:46 PM

well i took out all but one stick of ram and ran prime 95 on stock settings and now windows just freezes about 5 to 10 minutes in. sometimes it BSODs but it doesn't stay up long enough for me to read it. i'm starting to think this is hopeless. :( 
May 13, 2009 12:16:46 AM

What about NB voltages and heat?
May 13, 2009 11:31:07 AM

randomizer said:
That's a bit contradictory.

usually if you pass 300% without error on 9 memtest it's stable
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2009 11:36:39 AM

You do know that (although quite rare) some people can run for days in Memtest yet can't boot Windows, right? Memtest is exactly what it sounds like: a Memory Test. It is not a CPU stress tester, and should not really be used as one.
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2009 11:50:59 AM

^EXACTLY! That's what I was saying earlier. This has happened to quite a bit of people, esp. those who do vmods,etc for max OC that run Memtest86+ fine and crash and burn when loading OS, including command line Linux/DOS (NOW That is being REALLY unstable).
May 13, 2009 11:53:45 AM

randomizer said:
You do know that (although quite rare) some people can run for days in Memtest yet can't boot Windows, right? Memtest is exactly what it sounds like: a Memory Test. It is not a CPU stress tester, and should not really be used as one.

http://forum.coolaler.com/
go to their x58 test zone
i suppose you know who opb is?
that's what he uses
i don't know about cases that can't boot windows after days of memtest
that's probaly a single case
memtest,as i said before,could stress both ram and cpu when you activate 8 or more of them
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2009 11:55:18 AM

So if you stress both the CPU and RAM together and you get errors, which is the culprit?
May 13, 2009 11:56:32 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^EXACTLY! That's what I was saying earlier. This has happened to quite a bit of people, esp. those who do vmods,etc for max OC that run Memtest86+ fine and crash and burn when loading OS, including command line Linux/DOS (NOW That is being REALLY unstable).

well that didn't happen to me
May 13, 2009 12:39:45 PM

randomizer said:
So if you stress both the CPU and RAM together and you get errors, which is the culprit?

That's obvious
for me becuz i am using i7 it's both
since the memory controller was built inside the cpu so maybe i need to give more voltage to it
anyway we can't always depend on the stress program in order to know what's wrong
how would you answer if i asked you the same question?
how would you know what's wrong when errors start popping out from prime95?
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2009 12:54:31 PM

Ok, well not everyone uses an LGA 1366 or AM2+ system.

I use Prime95 Small FFTs. It runs entirely within the L2 cache. If something fails, it is almost definitely the CPU (although very unstable memory will probably fail as well as it would in any application). If I was going to test memory I would use P95 Blend (after using Small FFTs to ensure CPU stability first) or I'd use Memtest.
May 13, 2009 9:46:30 PM

randomizer said:
Ok, well not everyone uses an LGA 1366 or AM2+ system.

I use Prime95 Small FFTs. It runs entirely within the L2 cache. If something fails, it is almost definitely the CPU (although very unstable memory will probably fail as well as it would in any application). If I was going to test memory I would use P95 Blend (after using Small FFTs to ensure CPU stability first) or I'd use Memtest.

i could give that a try. i've just been running the default blend test with 2 threads. i'm sure it's not the memory as i've tested about everything memory related i could. i'm beginning to wonder if it's a failing power supply... :-\
a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2009 12:24:44 AM

Also note, after all P95/Memtest are software. Like everything, software can make mistakes. If OP doesn't BSOD for a while (~2-3 months),etc chances are he's OK with the OC.
May 14, 2009 2:20:46 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Also note, after all P95/Memtest are software. Like everything, software can make mistakes. If OP doesn't BSOD for a while (~2-3 months),etc chances are he's OK with the OC.

do you think, maybe, i should try orthos or some other stress tester? i've always used prime95 but maybe it isn't working for some reason. idk... i have to put my ram back in and try it. expect a response relatively soon.
May 14, 2009 9:37:10 AM

Shadow703793 said:
See:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=...
and
http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.m...

I'm NOT trying to flame you but you seem to be a bit misinformed (no offense, happens to all of us; I was a bit misinformed/misdirected about WC until a few months a go. Thanks to Conumdrum/rubix most of these are now corrected)

ok i understand what you are trying to say now
i just thought that since the guy who posted this thread couldn't pass it he should try out hyper pi and memtest. i offered these two program out of my personal experience.
May 14, 2009 2:38:32 PM

you may have a heat problem. Check northbridge heatsink and cpu heatsink. Run with case open and a fan directly on the northbridge and see if that helps. You can also pop off the cpu heatsink and reseat it with a good thermal compound.

!