Webcam appears on screen then ads

cbrianb

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Hello,
The word Webcam appears on my screen then my browser(Chrome) starts and loads tab after tab of a webpage for Logitech webcams. Taps continue to load until chrome crashes. Only then can I regain control of Chrome and the computer. I've tried all the usual antispy tools but nothing finds what is causing this. I do have a wireless logitech keyboard and mouse. Anyone have any ideas??

Solution
Did you run the scans in safe mode? If not, and there's already an infection, the scans are basically worthless.

If the system files are infected, sometimes safe mode isn't enough. Then, you need to slave the hard drive into another computer, and scan it as a slave drive.

cbrianb

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Tried so far
Malwarebytes
AVG
AVAST
HitmanPro
Adaware
CCleaner
Hijackthis
Advanced System Care
TrendMicro Housecall
TDSSKiller
Ad Aware

I've cleaned a lot of computers and have never seen anything like this. The word "Webcam" appears on the screen in large letters the browser starts etc as I described.

Its a real conundrum.

Did you run the scans in safe mode? If not, and there's already an infection, the scans are basically worthless.

If the system files are infected, sometimes safe mode isn't enough. Then, you need to slave the hard drive into another computer, and scan it as a slave drive.

Solution

If you didn't see anything untoward in the 04 entries of your HJT log, it might still be worth looking in msconfig>StartUp for whatever causes this to load with everything else, and unticking it when you've noted it's target file. ATF Cleaner finds things CCleaner leaves behind and Spybot has an effective file shredder if you can't get Permissions to bin the offending files. http://www.atribune.org and http://www.security.kolla.de respectively.

cbrianb

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
I finally got rid of it with Ad Aware. I think? I was trying to clean it remotely so getting it into "Safe Mode" was problematic. Ad Aware found one file in Docs and Settings and when it was removed the problem stopped. I've seen a lot of strange things cleaning computers over the years but nothing like this.