Confused about DVD player for HDTV

I just got a 55" Sony LCD projection TV model E55A20. I'm using a
SA8300HD cable box connected via HDMI. I am using the built in
speakers and subwoofer in the TV for now. I will get a home theater
system in the future. The TV has only one HDMI input.

I have my old DVD player connected via component cables. This is a
very old Panasonic DVD player I bought when DVD first came out.
Luckily it does have component outputs.

I'm thinking I need to get a better DVD player. I have read tons on
AVS Forum and am still confused.

I looked at a few today that had 5.1 audio out jacks as RCA plugs. Is
this a feature I will need to hook up to a home theater system, or
will the optical output do the same thing?

Is it necessary to get an upconverting unit? Doesn't my TV do the
upconverting?

It would be great if someone could recommend a basic DVD player for
me. I don't want to spend a lot because I know HD-DVD is coming. I'm
planning to connect it with component cables so it doesn't have to
have DVI or HDMI.

Thanks for the help
4 answers Last reply
More about confused player hdtv

    How does a recent issue DVD look on the new TV. If you're happy just
    keep using the old player. That set you have should do all the
    upconverting you need. 480P is the only thing you're lacking and it may
    be unnecessary with a Sony HDTV.

    Mort Guffman wrote:

    > I just got a 55" Sony LCD projection TV model E55A20. I'm using a
    > SA8300HD cable box connected via HDMI. I am using the built in
    > speakers and subwoofer in the TV for now. I will get a home theater
    > system in the future. The TV has only one HDMI input.
    >
    > I have my old DVD player connected via component cables. This is a
    > very old Panasonic DVD player I bought when DVD first came out.
    > Luckily it does have component outputs.
    >
    > I'm thinking I need to get a better DVD player. I have read tons on
    > AVS Forum and am still confused.
    >
    > I looked at a few today that had 5.1 audio out jacks as RCA plugs. Is
    > this a feature I will need to hook up to a home theater system, or
    > will the optical output do the same thing?
    >
    > Is it necessary to get an upconverting unit? Doesn't my TV do the
    > upconverting?
    >
    > It would be great if someone could recommend a basic DVD player for
    > me. I don't want to spend a lot because I know HD-DVD is coming. I'm
    > planning to connect it with component cables so it doesn't have to
    > have DVI or HDMI.
    >
    > Thanks for the help

    Also the audio Rca plugs you mention are probably for super audio cd's, dvd
    audio etc. If what you want is to watch movies, the optical connection is
    what you want for 5.1 audio from so encoded movies etc.

    Jim

    "Tim" <Tim@Backhome.org> wrote in message
    > How does a recent issue DVD look on the new TV. If you're happy just keep
    > using the old player. That set you have should do all the upconverting
    > you need. 480P is the only thing you're lacking and it may be unnecessary
    > with a Sony HDTV.
    >
    > Mort Guffman wrote:
    >
    >> I just got a 55" Sony LCD projection TV model E55A20. I'm using a
    >> SA8300HD cable box connected via HDMI. I am using the built in
    >> speakers and subwoofer in the TV for now. I will get a home theater
    >> system in the future. The TV has only one HDMI input. I have my old DVD
    >> player connected via component cables. This is a
    >> very old Panasonic DVD player I bought when DVD first came out.
    >> Luckily it does have component outputs.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking I need to get a better DVD player. I have read tons on
    >> AVS Forum and am still confused.
    >>
    >> I looked at a few today that had 5.1 audio out jacks as RCA plugs. Is
    >> this a feature I will need to hook up to a home theater system, or
    >> will the optical output do the same thing? Is it necessary to get an
    >> upconverting unit? Doesn't my TV do the
    >> upconverting?
    >>
    >> It would be great if someone could recommend a basic DVD player for
    >> me. I don't want to spend a lot because I know HD-DVD is coming. I'm
    >> planning to connect it with component cables so it doesn't have to
    >> have DVI or HDMI.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help

    Thanks for the advice guys.

    I found a Pioneer DV-563A at Comp USA for $50. No box or manuals, but
    it had the remote and seemed unused. I hooked it up side by side with
    my old unit and compared pictures. It's quite a bit better.

    With the old player my TV detected 480I 4:3. With the new one it sees
    480P 16:9.

    mort

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 03:55:13 GMT, Mort Guffman
    <mortguffman@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I just got a 55" Sony LCD projection TV model E55A20. I'm using a
    >SA8300HD cable box connected via HDMI. I am using the built in
    >speakers and subwoofer in the TV for now. I will get a home theater
    >system in the future. The TV has only one HDMI input.
    >
    >I have my old DVD player connected via component cables. This is a
    >very old Panasonic DVD player I bought when DVD first came out.
    >Luckily it does have component outputs.
    >
    >I'm thinking I need to get a better DVD player. I have read tons on
    >AVS Forum and am still confused.
    >
    >I looked at a few today that had 5.1 audio out jacks as RCA plugs. Is
    >this a feature I will need to hook up to a home theater system, or
    >will the optical output do the same thing?
    >
    >Is it necessary to get an upconverting unit? Doesn't my TV do the
    >upconverting?
    >
    >It would be great if someone could recommend a basic DVD player for
    >me. I don't want to spend a lot because I know HD-DVD is coming. I'm
    >planning to connect it with component cables so it doesn't have to
    >have DVI or HDMI.
    >
    >Thanks for the help

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:04:30 GMT, Mort Guffman
    <mortguffman@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >With the old player my TV detected 480I 4:3. With the new one it sees
    >480P 16:9.
    >
    >mort

    Cool, I was gonna chime in and say buy a late model cheap Sony or
    Panasonic that does 480p through component video cables. I'm very
    happy with my $89 Sony DVD player hooked up to my 43" Sammy DLP with
    an optical connection to my Yamaha receiver for DD 5.1 and DTS.

    This will do for a coupla years until the HD optical disc fiasco pans
    out in the consumers favor.

HDTV TV DVD Players Home Theatre