A client of mine recently purcahsed a graphics workstation. Huge rig, top of
the line hardware. He got 4GB of ram in it, and all 4gb is seen during POST
and BIOS checks. However, Windows XP will only show 3GB installed. I was
able to get it to 'utilize' 3GB with the use of the /3gb switch in boot.ini,
but still... is there any way to get XP pro to utilize all 4gb of ram, or did
he blow a bunch of cash on extra hardware he'll not be able to use?

Thanks in advance

Eric Boltz wrote:
> A client of mine recently purcahsed a graphics workstation. Huge rig, top of
> the line hardware. He got 4GB of ram in it, and all 4gb is seen during POST
> and BIOS checks. However, Windows XP will only show 3GB installed. I was
> able to get it to 'utilize' 3GB with the use of the /3gb switch in boot.ini,
> but still... is there any way to get XP pro to utilize all 4gb of ram, or did
> he blow a bunch of cash on extra hardware he'll not be able to use?

See if the following articles help:

The System tool and Task Manager do not display 4 GB of RAM in Windows
Server 2003 and in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888855

A description of the 4 GB RAM Tuning feature and the Physical Address
Extension switch
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

I'm having the same problem and i changed the Boot.ini file and still showing
less than 4gb...shows 2.75 gb???What should i do to fix that?The bios show
4gb too.My win is a xp sp2 professional.

TX.