TRYING TO BUILD A HIGH END GAMING PC PLEASE ADVISE!!!

Greetings I'm building a higher end gaming computer I have enough knowledge I could probably put this thing together and make it function well enough, but I need advice on the hardware I've purhcased so far. As of now I have an XFX 790i Ultra Mobo, 2 - XFX 8800GT (alpha dog edition), Q6700 CPU. From what I've been reading I've heard a lot of grief come from this motherboard but unfortunately I dont fully understand what is meant. Which brings me to my next question, where can I find a good source for information varrying from common computer hardware knowledge to systems integration, modding, etc... Basically I'm looking to learn as much as I can about everything there is to know about building truly compatible, reliable, efficient gaming machines.

I should also mention that with regards to the current project I'm looking at Corsair ddr3 dominator memory (2x1gb) [2qty]. My last question is about a memory mapping issue with the 790i mobo I'm told that this mobo/chipset has difficulty using all 4 dimms, this was from a technician at CanadaComputers but I cant find any reading material to beack it up, despite the fact he showed me a url at the store proving his point :S

ADVICE ON ANY ONE OF MY QUESTIONS IS IMMENSLY APPRECIATED!!!!
7 answers Last reply
More about trying build high gaming advise
  1. Send it all back if you can.

DDR3 is overpriced and not faster than DDR2 currently. 790i is bugridden and overpriced.

8800GT SLI is a terrible plan right now with 2xx series right around (read: less than a month) the corner which beats it. Does not even get into the fact most people do not need SLI anyway.

Better idea:

Asus P5E x38 motherboard or P5Q Pro P45 motherboard for an even better value.

CPU: Q6600 or Q9450, but the Q6700 is not terrible. Not as much as the motherboard and video cards.
  2. Ready, FIRE,....aim.

Start over, if you can. I agree with shadowduck.
    There is some good advice in these forums, but the time to ask is before you buy, not after.
  3. shadowduck said:
    CPU: Q6600 or Q9450, but the Q6700 is not terrible. Not as much as the motherboard and video cards.

i would pick the Q9450 if you can i just got mine in and wow. runs good. you can OC it stable higher with a fan easyly. not the stock fan thow :)
  4. :non:

Post then buy, or buy then post your scores <smiles>
  5. well if it doesn't all work out then at least you will have a great set up for a couple weeks :)
  6. Thanks for the input I kinda figured it was a bad idea to buy before I really know what I'm looking for, but its okay cuz money is not really a problem I'm likely gonna sell this rig to someone I know for a lil extra and make something else for me.

I'm thinking about starting over with a striker II extreme but in everyones opinion what is the VERY BEST OF THE BEST hardware to date in terms of compatibility oc'ing and power? (Assuming money is no object)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Computer Systems