Sign in with
Your question

TRYING TO BUILD A HIGH END GAMING PC PLEASE ADVISE!!!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2008 3:10:01 AM

Greetings I'm building a higher end gaming computer I have enough knowledge I could probably put this thing together and make it function well enough, but I need advice on the hardware I've purhcased so far. As of now I have an XFX 790i Ultra Mobo, 2 - XFX 8800GT (alpha dog edition), Q6700 CPU. From what I've been reading I've heard a lot of grief come from this motherboard but unfortunately I dont fully understand what is meant. Which brings me to my next question, where can I find a good source for information varrying from common computer hardware knowledge to systems integration, modding, etc... Basically I'm looking to learn as much as I can about everything there is to know about building truly compatible, reliable, efficient gaming machines.

I should also mention that with regards to the current project I'm looking at Corsair ddr3 dominator memory (2x1gb) [2qty]. My last question is about a memory mapping issue with the 790i mobo I'm told that this mobo/chipset has difficulty using all 4 dimms, this was from a technician at CanadaComputers but I cant find any reading material to beack it up, despite the fact he showed me a url at the store proving his point :S

ADVICE ON ANY ONE OF MY QUESTIONS IS IMMENSLY APPRECIATED!!!!

More about : build high end gaming advise

June 13, 2008 3:52:22 AM

Send it all back if you can.

DDR3 is overpriced and not faster than DDR2 currently. 790i is bugridden and overpriced.

8800GT SLI is a terrible plan right now with 2xx series right around (read: less than a month) the corner which beats it. Does not even get into the fact most people do not need SLI anyway.

Better idea:

Asus P5E x38 motherboard or P5Q Pro P45 motherboard for an even better value.

CPU: Q6600 or Q9450, but the Q6700 is not terrible. Not as much as the motherboard and video cards.

a c 206 4 Gaming
June 13, 2008 4:06:25 AM

Ready, FIRE,....aim.

Start over, if you can. I agree with shadowduck.
There is some good advice in these forums, but the time to ask is before you buy, not after.
Related resources
June 13, 2008 4:09:58 AM

shadowduck said:
CPU: Q6600 or Q9450, but the Q6700 is not terrible. Not as much as the motherboard and video cards.

i would pick the Q9450 if you can i just got mine in and wow. runs good. you can OC it stable higher with a fan easyly. not the stock fan thow :) 
June 13, 2008 4:52:15 AM

:non: 

Post then buy, or buy then post your scores <smiles>
June 13, 2008 4:59:42 AM

well if it doesn't all work out then at least you will have a great set up for a couple weeks :) 
June 13, 2008 8:17:34 PM

Thanks for the input I kinda figured it was a bad idea to buy before I really know what I'm looking for, but its okay cuz money is not really a problem I'm likely gonna sell this rig to someone I know for a lil extra and make something else for me.

I'm thinking about starting over with a striker II extreme but in everyones opinion what is the VERY BEST OF THE BEST hardware to date in terms of compatibility oc'ing and power? (Assuming money is no object)
!