Question about Raid performance

tri5cui7

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
I'm hoping to jump into this with a quick question. I have two seagate barracudas 7200.12. currently both are separate drives, but I'm thinking of putting them in raid 0. My motherboard is a P5Q and has onboard raid. I was wondering if I'd see a big boost in performance? is it worth the time.

sub mesa

Distinguished
If you use Intel ICHxR RAID drivers with Write Caching enabled, you'll see nice performance improvements that are the result of using your RAM memory as writeback; just like hardware RAID does. No other onboard RAID has this feature, and its not without danger. But it will be very good for speed, and its 'free'.

I guess you shouldn't use striping RAID if still using Windows XP; Vista and up create partitions without a 'stripe misalignment'; an issue that reduces performance of RAID0-4-5-6 when used on partitions created by Windows XP and lower.

tri5cui7

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
I'm using vista ultimate 64. I have a follow up question, is it difficult to make a raid0 when I have already installed vista? should I do a fresh install? I have several other hard drives I can use to back up important data so i'm not to worried about that.

sub mesa

Distinguished
You always have to do a fresh install, and during the install you need drivers on a USB stick (vista & up can load drivers from usb and cd/dvd).

Some onboard RAID like Intel ICHxR may allow you to switch to RAID without loosing the current data on the drive, but i would keep it simple and backup & reinstall.