Diamond in the ruff

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Diamond working on 950MHz 4870 Print E-mail
Written by Slobodan Simic
Monday, 30 June 2008 13:41

Exclusively for Smoothcreations

Diamond is prepping its ATI Radeon HD 4870 XOC Black Edition graphics card that will be available exclusively with Smoothcreation's systems. The new card is designed with a custom firmware that enables this card to reach a rather impressive core and memory clocks.

The default clocks for the new HD 4870 XOC Black edition card are 800MHz for the GPU and 1,100MHz (4.4GHz effectively) for 512MB of GDDR5 memory. Diamond's custom firmware unlocks the GPU and memory clocks so that they could be raised to 950MHz for the GPU and stunning 1,200MHz (4.8GHz effectively) for the memory.

The new card should available tomorrow, exclusively at Smoothcreation's website. It is still not clear if this card is made only for Smoothcreation's systems, but we hope that this card will make it to store shelves as well.

god if they can bring a 4870 at this speed its going 2 wipe the floor with the 280

if only you could overclock one to that speed

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
It will be interesting to see if Smoothcreations will keep this card exclusively for their systems or whether they'll eventually offer the card by itself. Certainly an interesting development with regard to overclocking the new ATI GPU.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

wait a minute, than what core clock will they release the 4890 for?

The 4890 has to be faster than the 4870 otherwise it wouldn't make any sense, so maybe the 489 will be released at 1,000 core clock?

I'm a little confused here, and nobody seems to be asking what will make the 4890 so special...???

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

see that's just the thing though it was pure speculation, but I figured they would simply clock the 4870 at 950 mhz and call it a day and package that as the 489, if they aren't going to do that what will happen to the 4890,

oh will somebody please think of kids,

oh the humanity!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is good news,
This though made me laugh. " The new card should available tomorrow, exclusively at Smoothcreation's website. It is still not clear if this card is made only for Smoothcreation's systems, but we hope that this card will make it to store shelves as well."
Bottom line is if its possible to as it were unlock these cards with a firmware upgrade then everyone will be able to.
Granted you get a guarantee with a factory unlocked one but everybody was at it with the X800 series and this development puts me firmly in mind of those cards.

Mactronix

On the TH article it said it used water cooling, but I don't see why it NEEDS it. It still consumes less power than a 2900xt and that did fine on air. Unless the card isn't stable at mid-upper temps.

CSA_Myth

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Diamond stated
"A watercooled version with a Danger Den waterblock will also be available."
That leads me to belive that there will be two flavors, air cooled and water cooled editions.

Also Diamond originally was planing on it being sold exclusively at Smoothcreation, but they had a change of heart when people began flooding their forums this morning asking to buy just the card retail.

Originally Posted by Diamond Multimedia
Due to popular demand we are making these cards available in ecommerce in the next few days.

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
I'd say that for an air-cooled version, given the superb overclock and custom firmware... at least another $50 on top. +$80 for watercooled version.

smooth827

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
I heard from another site cant remember which one those but these cards will be available to the general public.
Yipeee

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

YEAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!1!!!1