Sign in with
Your question

Help with overclocking E8400 on P5Q PRO

Last response: in Overclocking
May 12, 2009 2:48:45 AM

I have the stock heatsink, but am curious to what to set the FSB too...

Iv'e never overclocked a PC before, so im pretty clueless but I would like to get my E8400 to around maybe 3.4-3.6 if that's possible, The ram I have is G.skill DDR2 1000.

Every thread I see is about DDR2 800 so much thanks to whoever can help me that have overclocked a E8400 to around 3.5, if I have to get a aftermarket cooler I will. I just heard you can easily getr 3.5 with stock and good air flow.

Oh yeah and I forgot the multiplier is X9 if you don't know
May 12, 2009 10:04:38 AM

Read the how to sticky on the forum.
Related resources
May 12, 2009 11:13:55 AM

400mhz on an E8400 is very easy,

Go into your Bios, Look for the heading AI Tweaker up the top of the screen, select it

First option will be Ai overclock tuner, set it to manual and a heap of of new options will present themselves.

Your looking for FSB Frequency should be the first on the list, select and change to 360, this will give you 3.420mhz. Touch nothing else, save and leave.

If you have any problems, go back in and change AI overclock tuner back to AUTO, this will reset your computer to normal.

WARNING::: Dont push any harder than 3.4ghz on stock cooling, the reason for this is that your p5q mobo is set to automatically regulate your cpu voltage, the more you speed it up, the more voltage the mobo will give it, volts generate heat and stock intel coolers are sh##t.

400mhz wont require a volt increase at all, even 600 is possible on a good chip, once you have changed the above settings, download prime 95 and run it for 15 mins while monitoring your cpu temp, dont let it exceed 65, preferably keep it under 60, if it does theres a good chance the mobo iis feeding the cpu excessive volts, mine did when i was playing with it, you will have to go back into the bios and set the CPU Voltage to manual input 1.2875v

If temps stay under 60 when you first ran prime 95, dont worry about the above step, just enjoy your overclock :) 

I have the P5QPro, with the E8400, great combo, mines been running at 3.8ghz @ 1.29375v since I got it but I have a very large cooler hanging off my chip :) 
The P5QPro is also very tolerant of learner O/Cing , Ram timings/ Clock twisting etc etc, if you stuff something up the mobo will just automatically reset itself to standard and reboot! No more pulling the case apart and switching jumpers!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 12, 2009 4:50:33 PM

^ PLEASE do not do this.

Read up on OCing, there is a good guide at this forum and many more on the internet.

IF you are going to take the quick way out and not do all the research needed to do it the correct way at least:

Find your CPU's Vid and manually set your vcore to that to start.
Lock your PCIe frequency to 100.
Manually enter your Ram timings and voltage and desired strap.
Download Coretemp or Realtemp and monitor temps!!!

I would strongly suggest you do a lot of reading of the OC guides that are available before you start though.

May 12, 2009 11:36:20 PM

this seems to be too complicated, maybe I should of just got a Q6600 and left it at stock speeds instead of this..
May 13, 2009 3:48:26 AM

RJR said:
^ PLEASE do not do this.

Read up on OCing, there is a good guide at this forum and many more on the internet.

IF you are going to take the quick way out and not do all the research needed to do it the correct way at least:

Find your CPU's Vid and manually set your vcore to that to start.
Lock your PCIe frequency to 100.
Manually enter your Ram timings and voltage and desired strap.
Download Coretemp or Realtemp and monitor temps!!!

I would strongly suggest you do a lot of reading of the OC guides that are available before you start though.

Why not do this???? Where talking a 400mhz jump, for an E8400 it is nothing, not vcore increase therfore no extra heat. Basic overclocking in this range is quite simple and tends to be overcomplicated by people to make themselves feel better.

The CPU's Vid is 1.2875v's, I specifically stated this in my post, if heat troubles ocurred running prime, change cpu voltage from auto to manual and insert 1.2875v's

Lock the PCIE frequency? Do you even have a p5qPro board? It remains set at 100mhz on auto, as specifically stated in my post change the FSB to 360, touch nothing else and leave.

Maually changin ram timings and voltages of your ram and FSB strap does require more reading on the subject but for a simple 4oomhz increase to a cpu it is not needed, the p5qpro will automatically set ram timings specified by the jdec on the chip, FSB steap will automatically be modified by the board and after many hours of playing with this board I have found that the auto setting provides the best FSB stap performance.

Did I not mention to monitor temps under prime after ocing????
May 13, 2009 4:04:25 AM

shinagauri1 said:
this seems to be too complicated, maybe I should of just got a Q6600 and left it at stock speeds instead of this..

Im sorry shin but some people make this out to be more complicated than it really is, it can be complicated when pushing the upper limits but what your chasing is very reasonable and easily obtainable.

Simply change your FSB to 360, 360x9.5 multi on your cpu equals 3420mhz or 3.4Ghz.
Further down the same page on your bios you will find the option CPU Voltage, change it from auto and input 1.2875v's, this is the designated voltage for your E8400
The reason I stated this in the other post is because sometimes the mobo can get a little voltage happy and supply more voltage than is required to run the chip at that speed.

When you are done save the settings reboot and run prime 95 for 15 mins and monitor your cpu temp dont let it exceed 60 degrees for this overclock.

If you have any issues go back into your bios and set AI Overclock tuner to auto, this will reset everything to default.

As I stated earlier you can play to your hearts content with this board, if you stuff it up, the mobo will simply reset itself to default and reboot.

The one thing that will do damage when O/C'ing is heat. Increasing MHZ doesnt increase heat, increasing voltage increases heat rapidly. If you want to play with settings go for it you cant break it, BUT dont change voltages!!!!!! This is where O/C'ing can get tricky and you really do need to start reading up on the technical side of things to push the limits.

If 400mhz is all you want the above settings will give it to you with no trouble and no hassle. Hope this helps ease your concerns a little. Trust me its not rocket science, although some people make it out to be :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2009 4:19:49 AM

Ok, I'm not going to argue over OCing 101 stuff, it's his system and he can do what he wants with it. It would be a good idea for him to learn how to OC and know the Bios options available to him and what they do.

All E8400's do not have the same VID, he should check his to see what his chip's VID is. Just like your's is 1.2875 and my E8400 is 1.2500 and I've seen many others too.

It is true that with a small OC like this, he really doesn't have to get that involved with taking all the voltages/settings off auto but it couldn't hurt to learn how/why to change the different Bios settings in case he may want to push it a little more some day.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2009 4:26:41 AM

tonkatuffmofo said:
Im sorry shin but some people make this out to be more complicated than it really is, it can be complicated when pushing the upper limits but what your chasing is very reasonable and easily obtainable.

Simply change your FSB to 360, 360x9.5 multi on your cpu equals 3420mhz or 3.4Ghz.

Shin, let me know how that 9.5 multi works for you. I know my E8400 only goes to 9, I'll have to try that 9.5 and see how it works.

May 13, 2009 4:39:24 AM

shinagauri1 said:

I'm a first time overclock and take a look at what I did with my Q9650. 4GHz at 1.32v and 3.8GHz at 1.3v. It takes practice finding your clocks.
May 13, 2009 5:11:32 AM

RJR said:
Shin, let me know how that 9.5 multi works for you. I know my E8400 only goes to 9, I'll have to try that 9.5 and see how it works.

Slight cockup ther eh! :)  *hangs head in shame*

9x380= 3420mhz

Set Your FSB to 380 shin, 360 will only give you 3.2ghz, my bad.

1.2875v's wont be an issue on a stock cooler though.

I understand what your your trying to emphasise research on the issue before playing around and thats fair enough, but as you know and I found out the first time you O/c everyone starts throwing around the usual set FSB strap to this change vcore to that, dont exceed this, set ram timing to this, relax your latencies/timings, do this do that.

In all honesty sometimes it's just too much information for somebody who hasnt done it before and it puts a lot of people off the idea which is unfortunate because its a great way to increase value for money.

My only intention here was to make life easy for shin by giving him the required settings for a basic overclock (albeit with some poor maths:)  ) and a simple warning to watch his cpu voltage on auto as the P5Q board can get a little carried away with voltage supply on auto which could be an issue with a stock cooler.

I would never supply this information to someone chasing higher figures at it could result in damage. This to me is where a lot of research and time comes into it. Saying that I beleive that sometimes a little information is better than a lot.

At the end of the day if he sticks by the one warning I stated and doesnt increase his voltages he cannot cause any harm to his system, I also supplied him with the information required to reset his board if he feels uncomfortable with it or somehow gets himself into trouble. In my opinion this is all he needs to know for a basic 400mhz jump.

Oh and Shin you made the right decision with your E8400! Great performance to cost chip, if you primarily game with this system you made the right choice with this chip, the q6600 only has a real advantage in multithreaded software and at the present time most games still only support two cores which is why the e8400 with its higher clock speeds beets the q6600 in anything but multithreaded applications (mainly video encoding).
May 13, 2009 5:17:42 AM

blackpanther26 said:
I'm a first time overclock and take a look at what I did with my Q9650. 4GHz at 1.32v and 3.8GHz at 1.3v. It takes practice finding your clocks.

4Ghz nice, waiting for prices to come down a bit more on this chip then Im gonna get one, still to dear for me at the present.

Had my E8400 at 4Ghz quite easily but it never felt quite right, primed beutiful no issues at all for hours on end but jump into a game (Cod4) and kept getting minor stuttering every so often which was very distracting, had to back down to 3.6ghz to get rid of it. Never could pinpoint the reason for it.

Have you had any issues such as this with the 9650?
May 13, 2009 8:17:07 AM

Nope. I even benched it at 4.14GHz. But let's get back on topic. He can probaly do 3.5GHz as well.
May 13, 2009 9:51:36 AM

even 3.6 if its a good chip, I wasnt that lucky :( 

Had to bump vcore once i went over 3.4Ghz.

Looking at your Ram shin is that 1000mhz ram cas5 latency or cas4?

If its CAS5 you will get a good performance boost by dropping back to 800mhz and attempting 4-4-4-12-2T timings, the P45 ICH10 chipset cant really utilise over 800mhz anyway but a drop in timings will give you a significant performance boost.

Probably getting a little technical for you now but read up on this for down the track, it makes a big difference.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2009 10:55:14 AM

this seems to be too complicated, maybe I should of just got a Q6600...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't give up. On gaming benchmarks a stock e8400 runs circles on a stock Q6600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkg6fz3sGTY

May 13, 2009 12:50:36 PM

^^^^ Amen brother ^^^^^^
May 13, 2009 10:32:28 PM

haha, true... but I probibly should get an aftermarket cooler, what one do you recommend that fits on a P5Q PRO board?

I was thinking of a Scyth cooler.

Lots of people said the Arctic Freezers dont really fit very good on teh P5Q PRo layout and they had to bend "pins" of some sort
May 13, 2009 10:33:18 PM

tonkatuffmofo said:
even 3.6 if its a good chip, I wasnt that lucky :( 

Had to bump vcore once i went over 3.4Ghz.

Looking at your Ram shin is that 1000mhz ram cas5 latency or cas4?

If its CAS5 you will get a good performance boost by dropping back to 800mhz and attempting 4-4-4-12-2T timings, the P45 ICH10 chipset cant really utilise over 800mhz anyway but a drop in timings will give you a significant performance boost.

Probably getting a little technical for you now but read up on this for down the track, it makes a big difference.

Yes, it is latency 5-5-5-15 ddr21000 2x2 GB sticks

Actually I did get the real good chip E8400, it's the EO stepping I lucked out when I got it
May 13, 2009 10:52:32 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
this seems to be too complicated, maybe I should of just got a Q6600...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't give up. On gaming benchmarks a stock e8400 runs circles on a stock Q6600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkg6fz3sGTY

It's not that really compicated. You could probaly hit 3.4GHz with out a voltage change. Any ways if this is for a gaming machine you made an execlent chose sence most games uses 1, 2 cores max. Just set your FSB to 378MHz. See if it boots up and stress test it. And if it fails you may have to adjust your voltages. And set your Dram to 800MHz DDR2 800.
May 14, 2009 1:56:27 AM

E8400 is a nice cpu specially when u o.c. it.My one is E8200@2.66GHz and I overclock it 3.4GHz with ASUS G33 chip mobo.It is very easy to overclock ur cpu with P5Q pro ,just change the FSB speed with adding extra 15-30MHZ and all other setting keep in auto.Then u will face no problem.this is basic idea to overclock ur cpu right now.But keep it mind thar if u add much more ,ur cpu will runs very hot,and u must use a good cpu cooler.so dont try with adding too much clock speed with stock cooler.
May 14, 2009 2:19:38 AM

but before I honestly even TRY to do this, shouldn't I get an aftermarket cooler? At stock speeds the CPU runs very cool already, the ASUS AI tells me its always under 80degrees 90 under load IF im really unlucky, and decide to play crappy Crysis.

Just to literally be on the safe side. I would hate to fry my ***, since this is the first machine I ever put together! My first PC was a shitty gateway from bestbuy. I remimber when I got it from them they said it can play any game you want, got home couldn't play squat! I raged all over the house that night ;0

But anyway, what is the BEST cooler I could possibly get for under $50 that will fit a P5Q PRO, I'm gonna get it from newegg and since you can't return open boxes without a restocking fee, knowing my luck I would get one that would make me bend pins and such to get it to fit properly.

And sorry, for another question.

Why would I underclock my ram to DDR2 800, I got this ram for the 1000 specs so I could get a nice overclock if I ever figured out how to do it, that and 4GB of this was only $40 on black friday! I always heard DDR2 1000 is good for overclock since its overclocked RAM.
May 14, 2009 10:26:29 AM

shinagauri1 said:
but before I honestly even TRY to do this, shouldn't I get an aftermarket cooler? At stock speeds the CPU runs very cool already, the ASUS AI tells me its always under 80degrees 90 under load IF im really unlucky, and decide to play crappy Crysis.

And sorry, for another question.

Why would I underclock my ram to DDR2 800, I got this ram for the 1000 specs so I could get a nice overclock if I ever figured out how to do it, that and 4GB of this was only $40 on black friday! I always heard DDR2 1000 is good for overclock since its overclocked RAM.

90 degrees???? I hope thats farenheight and not celcius!!! If all your after is 400-600mhz, you dont really need an aftermarket cooler, although any cooler you choose that is aftermarket will be an improvement over the stock intel unit. As I said in an earlier post, increasing the clock rate of the chip wont increase heat at all. But increasing voltage to the chip (Vcore) will dramatically increase heat. The E8400 will overclock 400-600mhz without increasing voltage therfore you wont be increasing heat. Any higher and you will have to increase voltage to maintain system stability, every chip is different, you may only get 400mhz stable with no vcore increase, hell you may get 800! Every single chip is different. But if all your after is 400-600mhz like you originally posted you wont need extra voltage or extra cooling.

As far as the RAM goes your better off reading up on this yourself, I could write a full page on ram overclocking and you probably wouldnt get it anyway, hell I would probably confuse myself, suffice to say that for a 400mhz overclock ram speed wont be a factor, the p5qpro will automatically adjust the FSB strap to compensate any overclock if you leave it on auto.

This said RAM speed isnt all about mhz, latencies play a big part in performance, latencie is the initial time it takes your ram to be accessed and to be written too, mhz is the speed at which it writes and can be read, in lamens terms. its actually slightly more complicated but that should be easier to understand.

Now the P45 chipset has an ICH10 memory controller, this controller cant realistically read or write above 800mhz, the controller is the bottleneck to your 1000mhz ram.

Now your Ram Can only run at CAS5 Latencies at 1000mhz 5-5-5-15-2T.

If you were to drop your ram manually to 800mhz in the bios, you should be able to change your timings to CAS4, 4-4-4-12-2T and remain stable, this will effectively make your ram 20 percent quicker to be accessed by the Memory Controller while not really losing any sustained write/read performance since the controller can only handle 800mhz anyway.

It's really not easy to simplify this! Welcome to the world of overclocking. It feels like a h@#df!@#K at first but once you get into it and read up on it and play around with it, it all starts to make sense, trying to explain it to others is the hardest part!

TWO GOLDEN RULES:
1. When you start out though, dont fiddle with voltages unless you have read and understand what your fiddling with. All those stories about people cooking there systems? they fiddled with voltages, voltage can KILL your system, changing any other settings in your bios will simply crash it, crashes can be reset, burnt pieces cant!

2. Dont go stupid, its very easy to achieve your first overclock, get really excited, then you think, maybe i'll just bump the vcore a little more. Just a few more mhz all of a sudden your feeding it massive voltages running at 4.2ghz and cheering for joy at your masterley success. 3 months later for some silly reason your computer wont boot and theres this funny burnt smell inside the case. Trust me its really addictive when you first start playing. 3.4-3.8 Ghz is a good 24/7 overclock for an E8400 and it will be rock solid if you set it right.

a b à CPUs
May 14, 2009 1:07:38 PM

1. make sure your system is 100% stable at stock speeds
2. set everything manually
3. dont overclock in massive leaps, more like ~3-5mhz FSB jumps at a time
4. dont go crazy with the v's

And no your E8xxx wont run rings around a Q6600 if your a true power user, and at 3.5ghz for 65nm tech it still holds its own.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2009 10:50:18 PM

tonkatuffmofo said:
Now the P45 chipset has an ICH10 memory controller, this controller cant realistically read or write above 800mhz, the controller is the bottleneck to your 1000mhz ram.

Do you just make this stuff up as you go?

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2009 11:42:13 PM

tonkatuffmofo said:

If you were to drop your ram manually to 800mhz in the bios, you should be able to change your timings to CAS4, 4-4-4-12-2T and remain stable, this will effectively make your ram 20 percent quicker to be accessed by the Memory Controller while not really losing any sustained write/read performance since the controller can only handle 800mhz anyway.

Shin, don't worry about your Ram timing, put at stock timing and voltage as recommended by the manufacturer. Tightening the timing from 5 to 4 WILL NOT give you 20 percent faster Ram. The major boost you will get is from OCing the processor and not the ram.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=630&p=1

May 15, 2009 7:43:46 AM

Reason to put your ram at DDR2 800 is becuase when you increase the FSB you also overclock your ram. And the first thing to do before you overclock your ram is to get your CPU stable and doing this is to unclock your ram a bit. I have my DDR2 1066 underclocked right now.
May 15, 2009 10:03:39 AM

RJR said:
Do you just make this stuff up as you go?

]http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/8856/p45.th.jpg" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

Find me one link that proves a p45 chipset can fully utilise ram clocked over 800mhz, just one and I will shut my mouth.
Its a well known point that that p45's cant utilise over 800mhz ram, and tighter timing will substantially improve performance, wow go bring that up in the corsair forum that it wont increase performance.

I didnt state it would improve performance 20 percent! I said the ram would access 20 percent quicker. Pretty basic really 5clocks versus 4clocks.

Yes my explanantions are quite basic and maybe not 100 percent accurate but to be more detailed would confuse the poor bugger, Im trying to imply a basic understanding nothing else.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2009 3:25:43 PM

I know you are trying to help the OP, you just need to take it a little easier and not give him wrong information(like ich10 is the memory controller). Like I previously stated the higher CPU clock will give you better performance than a Ram OC (mhz or timings) will. The advantage of his DDR2-1000 ram is the ability to raise his FSB higher without the worry of destabilizing the ram. AND YES lower latency will increase the rams performance, BUT not by as much as you think (as previously proved). All ASUS P45 boards support memory of at least DDR2-1066 and some as high as DDR2-1300. Do you think they would support a higher memory if the P45 only had the bandwidth capability of 800Mhz.

http://i4memory.com/f67/p45-memory-bandwidth-speed-test...

Here is a little bit about latency:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_latency
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tight-timings-high-...
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ComputingSolutions/...
May 16, 2009 6:52:29 PM

True, that does make sense, why in the world would they even implement higher RAM if it cannot actually take use of it?

That's kind of Ass-Nine if that's the case.
February 5, 2010 6:18:49 AM

I needed to re open this Topic!!

I myself have a few questions about this SAME board and CPU and RAM.

I have a few questions about overclocking an E8400 on a P5Q Pro.

Im using the stock cooler, and am just right now trying to get to 3.3, or 3.4 Ghz weak overclock untill I get an aftermarket cooler. I'm just trying to get down the basics of this. I read many tutorials but I still have a few questions and would appriciate some feedback.

I was gonna use the FSB of 360 for now, just as a "first timers" clock-job.

(Number 1)

I have DDR2 1000 5-5-5-15 Ram, since my board automatically changes the ram speed when I overclock should I start the RAM timing out on DDR2 800, and then up the FSB of the processor so it doesnt way surpass DDR2 1000 Rated Ram timings? I'd hate to toast my RAM.

(Number 2)

When using Prime95 to stress test it and monitoring with SpeedFan. Should I pay much attention to Core 0, and Core 1 temperatures? Or just worry about the overall CPU temperature? It seems the Core's get higher than the overall CPU readout and it kinda makes me confused on that factor. Core 0 gets around 54 Celcius at times, when the CPU only gets to around 45-46 Celcius....

(Number 3)

And lastly is their anything else a first timer should know about a weak overclock?
February 5, 2010 6:21:13 AM

I know, only having it test clocked at 3.195 GHZ Is making the Core 0 and core 1 temps go to 60c....

CPU-Z shows the Core Voltage at around 1.264, does this seem a bit too high? It's set on Auto.

!