dbowlin17

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I have the intel D850mv motherboard with socket 478 chipset. it has no sata ports, only ide. Would I be able to add a sata port pci card and then boot off that as my main hard drive? I want to do this instead of getting an ide hard drive because i some day hope to upgrade the mobo and processor and would like to not be concerned about finding one with a ide port for my disk drive or hard drive and wont want to buy a new disk drive or hard drive if they both are still operational. Should the sata drive connected to my pc via pci be able to be my main hard drive (boot device)?

Solution
I have one of these that I use for extra CD drives, when ever I want to boot from CD I have to unplug one of My HDs from from main board and replace it with a CD from the PCI card - never managed to get it to boot from a CD drive that was attached to the PCI card, so for that reason, I don't think so.

vibe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I have one of these that I use for extra CD drives, when ever I want to boot from CD I have to unplug one of My HDs from from main board and replace it with a CD from the PCI card - never managed to get it to boot from a CD drive that was attached to the PCI card, so for that reason, I don't think so.

Solution

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

In short.... the answer is no in you case. The board that you have does not support the boot to pci that you will need to use the drive as a primary boot drive. Sorry to be the bearer of the news.... :-(

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Although I am not familiar with that type of adapter if an item is connected to your IDE cable and is recognized as a drive you should be able to boot to it. IMHO I would stick with a IDE drive because any performance gains from the use of a SATA drive would be lost in the translation to the IDE spec's. It would also be more cost effective. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

dbowlin17

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
The reason why I want to go with the adapter, it because I can then, in the future, upgrade my motherboard without needing to worry about finding one with an ide port. and i then can also save 30 bucks, after the cost of the adapter more like 10, by not getting a new disk drive. and i think what it does, it takes the berg power connection and takes in the sata signal and converts it to the ide port. so it should work...

LJGrant

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
The earlier poster is right. The card needs its own BIOS to make the SATA device bootable.

The Rosewill RC-215 VIA PCI SATA 1.5G card has its own BIOS and allows you to boot from a SATA drive in what had been a non-SATA drive system. It is available from Newegg.