Sign in with
Your question

Diablo 3 to use Havok physics engine!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 30, 2008 9:39:08 PM

So, if I remember correctly, when Blizzard released World of Warcraft, it had "the way it's meant to be played" slapped all over it.

Now they have announced Diablo 3, and it will have a Havok based physics engine.

Games producers are switching to the red team already, yay! :pt1cable: 

More about : diablo havok physics engine

June 30, 2008 10:03:09 PM

Ummmm that's awesome.....

This just in...

iPhone 3G Will Ship In Eco-Friendly Dutch-Potato Packaging
June 30, 2008 10:13:34 PM

I would guess that when the decision was made to use Havok Blizzard had all but given up on us all going out to buy a physics accelerator. I wouldn't exactly say they're on the red team considering Intel owns Havok's IP if I'm not mistaken. If anything they're on the blue team.
Related resources
June 30, 2008 10:33:31 PM

Blizzard is known to try and go the way to allow their games to be played on as many computers as possiable without seriously effecting the look of what they want. Blizzards Games are known to be polished and well done.

With that said I have played every Blizzard Game (except for a couple of their begining one's) to full. The storylines have always been engaging and their seems to be a feeling of reward at the end. The Cinematics are always well spaced allowing that bit of relaxing between the adreniline rush.

Havok will allow everyone to experience a physics like atmosphere as long as the system is semi adequate. Obviously, the physics in the game will be a key component of the experience of the game and regulating that experience to just a handful of people who happen to own a Physics accelerator would be bad for the game.

It's a win for all of us.
June 30, 2008 10:56:08 PM

I don't care if it uses virgin blood sacrifices as long as it comes out.... I can die a happy man once I complete Diablo 3 (as a nice bonus it would be awesome to get in on the Beta...)

Anyway Blizzard congrats on what is sure to sell at least 5 million copies on day one lol
June 30, 2008 11:07:45 PM

It definately has to do with Havok being able to run on cpu. Blizzard is trying to not damage their brand. The name "Diablo" is far too valuable.
June 30, 2008 11:33:28 PM

Never played Diablo. Going to get it with StarCraft 2. I'm really looking forward to a WarCraft 4 if they ever decide to release one. I'm still playing WarCraft 3 with an 8800GT. WarCraft 3 is so old, it doesn't natively support AA or AF. I just enable it in Nvidia Control Center, 8xQ AA FTW.
June 30, 2008 11:39:00 PM

Speaking of WoW when is the next EXP pack coming out?
June 30, 2008 11:48:02 PM

houstonserenity said:
Speaking of WoW when is the next EXP pack coming out?

I am thinking soon (what is soon in Blizzard land?) but im guessing like more then 1 month less then 4?

Yeah cant wait to make me a Death Knight....
July 1, 2008 12:06:42 AM

leigh said:
So, if I remember correctly, when Blizzard released World of Warcraft, it had "the way it's meant to be played" slapped all over it.

Now they have announced Diablo 3, and it will have a Havok based physics engine.

Games producers are switching to the red team already, yay! :pt1cable: 

No, they are jumping on the blue team, whose name is INTEL as Havok FX was cancelled and Havok physics are run on the cpu not the gpu

Can you please crawl back in your fanboy hole.
July 1, 2008 12:17:39 AM

Ovaltine, why so harsh and negative? But yes, Havoc is currently run on the CPU, which will allow Blizzard to have their game (and its effects) run on as many computers as possible.

BTW, I'm giddy like a school girl for this release! I can't wait until 2014!
July 1, 2008 12:26:27 AM

zipz0p said:
Ovaltine, why so harsh and negative? But yes, Havoc is currently run on the CPU, which will allow Blizzard to have their game (and its effects) run on as many computers as possible.

Yes, and thats great - but misleading people into thinking Havok is an AMD product is a bit rediculous and its becoming common misinformation.
July 1, 2008 12:35:38 AM

ovaltineplease said:
Yes, and thats great - but misleading people into thinking Havok is an AMD product is a bit rediculous and its becoming common misinformation.

Fair enough. It is definitely not an AMD product, though with any luck it will run fine on AMD CPUs, unlike PhysX, which now runs on dedicated physics chips and Nvidia cards (though somebody seems to have found a way around that).
July 1, 2008 1:12:38 PM

Interesting mix of responses.

I know Havok is now a child of Intel, but aren't the 4800 cards being marketed with "physics processing capability", which is Havok based? (Ok I think I read somewhere nVidia will allow Havok to run on it's GPUs but obviously they'd rather push PhysX)

I want to point out this post by Dave Baumann:
http://rage3d.net/board/showpost.php?p=1335512390&postc...

Dave works for ATI right...
He states "we've also signed a fairly major deal with Blizzard." right...

So I hope that clears up my reasoning for stating Blizzard moved to the red team, because it certainly looks like they did.

My point (however badly I got it across) was mainly that I'm happy it's Havok based not PhysX based, and we're not going to have to buy silly cards at silly prices to get the most out of this game, and that makes me smile. My only fanboyism here is for the Diablo franchise, and I can't wait to play it in glorious dx10.1 (the .1 being important) and with awesome physics to boot.
July 1, 2008 1:18:29 PM

Ok, I didn't know Havok FX was cancelled. Sorry for that.
!