Cant remove filescout

Status
Not open for further replies.

berndog24

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I don't know how I got this program (Filescout) but it has taken over many of my file associations and I can't uninstall it because it does not have an uninstaller utility, it isa not listed in the add/ remove programs in the control panel. If I delete it's folder from the program files folder then I will have a ton of files that won't open due to lost file associations and the default file associations I can set only covers a small percentage of the file/types listed and filescout is shown associated with maybe 30 -40% of all my file/types. That leaves me a ton of files I would have to set associations for one at a time abd each one I am not familiar with would require me to look it up on the net to find out what programs I have that can or should be opening it That's a can of worms I would rather not have to open if I can help it. Any suggestions? I have no clue what to do about this but I hate this filescout garbage and want it gone.

berndog24

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I tried a few uninstaller programs and the problem with the ones I tried is that Filescout doesn't show up on the programs list. My guess is it will be the same with REVO. I will try it and let you know if it worked or not.

berndog24

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Ok, I tried Revo and it's the same as the other uninstallers. Filescout is not shown in the list of programs so how do you uninstall a program that seemingly doesn't exist?

tabakisp

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I don't know how i freaking got this too. My findings are:
It has a record on registry under:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell
named filescout. Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\filescout\command
you will find the path for the executable. Release The Storm :fou:

REGAM

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

REGAM

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I had the same problem, and I have found that with windows XP.
Filescout is in this directory :
c:\documents and settings\user\application data\filescout
with an other file named unist.
Run this second file and confirm to uninstal filescout.
That's all.
REGAM

David Hunt

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
hey mate.
just found out how to uninstall filescout from windows 7
go to start menu and type in '%appdata%' without the quotation marks.
next, click on roaming, and then look for the folder called 'filescout'.
go into this folder and run the uninstall program.
it should be gone then

ukrussell

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

ok I had the same problem don't have a clue how I got it but its dose have a uninstaller utility just not easy to find, open a file that you have not set up associations don't chose any thing just leave the window open , then open windows task manager, it will show up in applications, right hand click on it then click on "go to process" once the process shows up right hand click on it then click on "open file location" it will then open a folder with the program and the uninstaller, hope that helps

ladybug56

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
I just recently encountered the File Scout and had no idea where it came from of what! This forum led me to try two things: First was Mighty Uninstaller which did nothing but correct my Quickbooks Print problem. The answer provided by David Hunt above got rid of the File Scout problem, but now Windows doesn't know how to find the right file associations?
Now what?

Gokue

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013

Dude go hunter mode in revo pro (top left corner) and then uninstall that s**t!

Worked for me :D (Click advanced mode, & delete every "leftover" file after you hunt it down!)

When i say EVERY, it includes registry (if you don't delete registry, windows won't know what to do after you delete filescout)

Status
Not open for further replies.