New gaming system general question, wanting to order tomorrow

lucasbuck2

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I'm building a new system, but it's my first in a really long time. Trying to figure out the best way to do HD's. Is it really worth the extra money to go with a SSD, Velociraptor, or Spinpoint rather than a partitioned 2 TB? I had thought about getting 2 WD Black 2 TB's, partitioning one, and using the partition to install the OS on. Would I see a big difference if I dedicated a faster drive to an OS? A faster one just for games (it's a gaming PC)? Thanks for any advice. It's been a long time, I'm out of touch on tech, and want to know the best way to set things up. I install/uninstall games a lot so I hate worrying about fragging a drive. I also have no idea if faster drives really improve performance on games.

I'm using a Velociraptor as a dedicated HDD for my OS, i.e. Vista 64-bit until W7 pro comes out (W7 RC1 is on another HDD). Boot time(s) speaking, the raptor does give me a fast boot, especially of Vista, but nothing ground breaking. W7 should boot even quicker. Depending on your budget, you may be best served to go with an Intel SSD- check out Tom's charts for more info. They can be pricey though, so if you don't wanna blow that kind of cash and want to wait for prices to go down, go with a raptor or a spinpoint for an OS drive.