Sign in with
Your question

4850 temps.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2008 12:29:19 AM

hey guys,
so i got my 4850, and this bad boy sits at 80c when gaming, thats wicked hot, my 8800gt got to about 70c when gaming, is this temp normal? i think these are rated at 90+c is that correct?

also, how much of a performance increase can i expect with this and 4870 in CF?

honestly.. in lost planet the performance of this card is lackluster. my 8800gt crushed that game.. :ange: 

More about : 4850 temps

July 1, 2008 12:47:39 AM

There is a workaround, look in page two my comments to exploit it better.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33926633

Reg. Lost Planet: it is probbly a driver issue, it will get better in future driver revisions, if not then fon't expect HD4850 to perform miracles and come ahead in EVERY game. In most games it blows away even the 8800GTX. Now in case you only want to play Lost Planet and no other game, then stick with your 8800GT and be happy.
July 1, 2008 1:39:15 AM

a 6pack in said:
hey guys,
so i got my 4850, and this bad boy sits at 80c when gaming, thats wicked hot, my 8800gt got to about 70c when gaming, is this temp normal? i think these are rated at 90+c is that correct?

honestly.. in lost planet the performance of this card is lackluster. my 8800gt crushed that game.. :ange: 

I have the same card and it is awesome. I have the Asus and it came with software that allows you to control the fan. I set it on 60% and it never gets above 60C. Which card do you have?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 1, 2008 4:20:16 AM

a 6pack in said:
hey guys,

im a retard, i ment HF lost coast.

darkguset said:
There is a workaround, look in page two my comments to exploit it better.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33926633

Reg. Lost Planet: it is probbly a driver issue, it will get better in future driver revisions, if not then fon't expect HD4850 to perform miracles and come ahead in EVERY game. In most games it blows away even the 8800GTX. Now in case you only want to play Lost Planet and no other game, then stick with your 8800GT and be happy.

thanks for the info, im going to read through it here in a moment.

caamsa said:
I have the same card and it is awesome. I have the Asus and it came with software that allows you to control the fan. I set it on 60% and it never gets above 60C. Which card do you have?

what software is that?
July 1, 2008 4:54:50 AM

caamsa said:

Sorry for a quick hijack.
Didn't want to start another thread for such a simple question...
Saw a few days back that you replaced the thermal goo with AS5 on your 4850.
I was wondering if anything needed to be done to the RAM thermal pads?
Thanks in advance.

On topic, yeah GPU's can take some heat.
From what I remember, they are designed to start throttling in the 105-125c range depending on the card. ATI is working on fixing the stuck fan speed issue in new drivers from what I hear. If you want to lower your temps a little in the mean time, replacing the stock thermal goo with AS5 is supposed to work wonders. As posted earlier, there are also a few ways to bump fan speeds.

As for CrossFire...
If a game is fully supported, I have seen near 100% scaling between 2 cards in some benchmarks. The biggest problem I have with CF right now is that it is not optimized for as many games as SLI. All that potential for want of better drivers...
July 1, 2008 5:11:46 AM

outlw6669 said:
Thanks in advance.

there are some thermal tapes that you use so you fix the ram chips to the heatsinks. im not really sure what brand. but that what you use.
July 1, 2008 5:24:42 AM

night_wolf_in said:
there are some thermal tapes that you use so you fix the ram chips to the heatsinks. im not really sure what brand. but that what you use.

I know what you are saying but that is not what I am planning on doing. I am going to reuse the stock cooler, not install an after market one. I am unsure what to do with the thermal pads that are currently installed on the stock cooler is all.

I don't think there will be any problem reusing the old pads with out cleaning the RAM just wanted to be sure. Better to ask a stupid question than to get stupid results.
July 1, 2008 6:28:18 AM

Oh yeah forgot to mention I'm overclocked at 700/1100 with those temps.
July 1, 2008 12:46:05 PM

yeah, im sitting at 680/1100 with mine.
July 1, 2008 12:48:35 PM

outlw6669 said:
Thanks in advance.

On topic, yeah GPU's can take some heat.
From what I remember, they are designed to start throttling in the 105-125c range depending on the card. ATI is working on fixing the stuck fan speed issue in new drivers from what I hear. If you want to lower your temps a little in the mean time, replacing the stock thermal goo with AS5 is supposed to work wonders. As posted earlier, there are also a few ways to bump fan speeds.

As for CrossFire...
If a game is fully supported, I have seen near 100% scaling between 2 cards in some benchmarks. The biggest problem I have with CF right now is that it is not optimized for as many games as SLI.
All that potential for want of better drivers...

it really grinds my gears that they do this. Why cant developers and hardware get along?

im thinking about aftermarket cooling, the cooling on my 3870 was sweat, visiontek did good on that one.
July 2, 2008 3:56:33 AM

man, after that little .ini fix. holy crap gaming never goes above 55C usually at 53. Idle at 46C

freakin sweat!

and with the oc, i smoothed out half life: lost coast.
July 2, 2008 3:58:36 AM

a 6pack in said:
man, after that little .ini fix. holy crap gaming never goes above 55C usually at 53. Idle at 46C

freakin sweat!

Good to know!
What did you set the fan speed to?
I have heard the noise shoots up pretty quickly, what can you hear?
July 2, 2008 4:17:33 AM

its not bad at all man, i have it set at 65%.

i hear it gets kinda loud at 75ish according to guru3d
July 2, 2008 4:20:49 AM

Nice to know, I am defiantly going to give it a run when I get back to Germany and find time to assemble the new rig. Hopefully ATI will get the drivers fixed soon and we will not have to worry about these hack fixes anymore.
July 3, 2008 3:13:10 AM

yeah its good stuff, infact i just ordered my second 4850 for CF
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2008 10:37:19 PM

a 6pack in said:

freakin sweat!

and with the oc, i smoothed out half life: lost coast.

2 Questions.

1. Is this the OB Lost Coast or the original? If you have the OB then you can go to tools and download the SDK Orange Box Base and it loads up Loast Coast on the OB engine I believe.

2. What was your average FPS and was it maxed out and what Res? @ 1280x1024 (Damn monitors naitive) with everything maxed including AA/AF and HDR I can get 100FPS on my HD2900Pro 1GB at stock speeds.
July 5, 2008 6:31:41 PM

the version that i have is the 64bit mode, from steam. I dont have OB, i have HL2, and CS:S. those run well.

but for some reason. LC wasnt the best. Ill try what you said, cause i should be around the 100fps area.

i got a 9600 BE
2gig ddr2 800
4850 now at 700/1100
vista 64

i know my system has plenty of muscle.. so that kinda bothers me that it is acting up.
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2008 8:35:47 PM

Maybe its just drivers. You should easily get more than me on LC since my GPU is about 2 generations behind yours.

Hopefully it does go up. Cuz I want a HD4870 1GB so I can increase my FPS while playing. I get good now but I am thinking HL2 EP3 will have more advances that need a bit more power.
July 5, 2008 8:56:15 PM

my 4870 runs as hot as 95C when running COD4 at max. When i buy a product, it should runs cool. ATI expect every 48xx buyer to replace the cooling system??? when i buy something it should work as it should and not overheat in the next few weeks.

48xx is cheaper alright, but whats the point if it overheat in the next few months. yes u have to buy a new one, and thats more expensive than a single GTX280

next time id take the safer route, go for GTX200.
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2008 12:42:18 AM

What you are experiencing is just bad fan management. So instead of it going to say 60% under load it stays at 10% hence the higher temps. Look in this thread a bit up more for the solution that helps.

Some people have gotten the fan to 65% and that keeps the idle temps near 40c and load temps under 60c (which is cooler than my 2900Pro that stays at 70c under load).
July 6, 2008 1:14:35 AM

concrum said:
my 4870 runs as hot as 95C when running COD4 at max. When i buy a product, it should runs cool. ATI expect every 48xx buyer to replace the cooling system??? when i buy something it should work as it should and not overheat in the next few weeks.

48xx is cheaper alright, but whats the point if it overheat in the next few months. yes u have to buy a new one, and thats more expensive than a single GTX280

next time id take the safer route, go for GTX200.

I havnt seen you post one good thing about your 4870. Are you that disatisfied? This is a enthusiast site, so, theres options out there that dont cost a penny. Also, those temps wont hurt anything, since all that heat is going out the back of your case, instead of being left in it like the G280, which WILL cause overheating and early eol on your other components. How does your 4870 run? What games do you play? Which games make the card heat up the most? If you did buy one, youll have your fix in about a week, then what are we going to hear from you? Astonishment? Like I said, this is enthusiast territory, theres easy temporary fixes for this, something thats causing less harm than allowing all that heat into your case from a G200
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2008 3:27:23 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
I havnt seen you post one good thing about your 4870. Are you that disatisfied? This is a enthusiast site, so, theres options out there that dont cost a penny. Also, those temps wont hurt anything, since all that heat is going out the back of your case, instead of being left in it like the G280, which WILL cause overheating and early eol on your other components. How does your 4870 run? What games do you play? Which games make the card heat up the most? If you did buy one, youll have your fix in about a week, then what are we going to hear from you? Astonishment? Like I said, this is enthusiast territory, theres easy temporary fixes for this, something thats causing less harm than allowing all that heat into your case from a G200

This and the fact that the G200 series runs at about 87c+ under load too. The only real problem with the 4800 series is that the idle temps are high but its fixable unlike the load temps with the G200s.
July 6, 2008 3:42:48 AM

Yea, I own a GTS320, until I find that 4870 that fits my taste. The GTS put some of the heat out the back, the rest goes into my case. It runs at 65 high load, but Im thinking that if it was all pushed out the back like the superior cooling that the 4870s do, the temps on my GTS would go up a bit. As you can tell, Im no fanboy, its really a shame some people either dont have a clue, or theyre bitter fanboys. And if theyre nVidia shills working for a company thats just upset the few first buyers of the G200s, then turn around and reduce their pricing like they have, shame on em
July 8, 2008 1:51:41 AM

Gotta say, these cards have potential but I am not liking the stock coolers right now. Just finished the rebuild with Cf 4850's. Turned the fan speed to 45% on both card. Anything higher, even 50% is very loud. 100% sounds like twin jet engines inside my case! Anyways, stock speeds w/ 45% fans and great case cooling has me crashing in Crysis (the only game I have had a chance to test my new rig on yet) with the temps over 100C and both GPU's throttling. Going to try the AS5 trick tomorrow and see what happens then. Wish I could say something better about these cards so far. Overheating at stock speeds even after doubling the stock fan speeds is not so nice in my eyes :( 
July 8, 2008 4:47:16 AM

crysis crashes it.. i think it states somewhere that its a known issue.. ill try to dig the link for you
July 8, 2008 8:42:37 AM

Well, that is good to hear. Just spent a few days traveling and I guess I am a little out of date already! I have not had a chance to throw anything else at the new rig, wanted to start with the worst. It would be great if it was just a driver issue. Thanks for the info and now to try and shake off some jet lag :sleep: 
a b 4 Gaming
July 9, 2008 1:00:11 AM

So I would say its just Crysis not the temps.

Why yours is so high wow. At least the olde 3800 after market HSF work for the 4800 series. I will probably wait to see if there are any improvements on cooling first, even though my case has good air flow, and hopefully the 1GB version hits around $250.

I know it will be a while but I can wait.
July 9, 2008 7:27:23 AM

Yup, tested Bioshock last night. Stock speeds w/ fans at 45% and both cards still edge towards 100c. At least the game play is smooth as warm butter! DX10, 1920x1200 8x AA and 16x AF in the driver control panel pegging my refresh rate.
No problems with the idle temps. 58c for the top card and 63c for the bottom card. Would have thought it would be the other way around myself. I think aftermarket cooling is the way to go with these cards. Ah-well, guess I gotta break out the pocket book again.
July 9, 2008 8:10:50 PM

give it more fan, instead of 45% crank it to 70% i know it sounds like jet hanger but turn the volume up more. lol
July 9, 2008 11:58:36 PM

If you want to hear jets, try turning it up to 100% :pt1cable: 

Nah, I think I am just going to save for a better cooling system. My flat it to small to put all that noise in here...
July 10, 2008 3:47:46 AM

ive not run it at 100, i am running it at 70. i have a antec 900 case so airflow is good. it just makes my room super hot.
July 11, 2008 12:55:54 AM

Want to hear a funny story, I installed a thermaltake duo orb onto my 4850 right. Then three days later AOC starts crashing so I figure it is just in game bugs etc until I heard a scraping sound, something hitting against something which wasn't right.

I open up the case and the left fan was dead. I took a closer look, taking it apart and the copper on the heat pipes around the fan had melted away, the fans are magnetically positioned but the axis that it spins on was made of plastic. Not very good quality, took 3 days for it to choke.

I took it off put on the stock cooler, removing the blue wire with pliers so the fan stays at 100% default, sure it sounds like a jet engine but even at 100% it overheats too much when under load. Idles at 46c not sure under load but it crashes after 5 minutes playing AOC on high, so I have my air conditioning unit above my computer running at 24c and had to remove the side panel of computer and close the room off creating a ghetto cooling system until I replace the broken after market cooler this weekend in akihabara.

What disappoints me most is that this card is awesome, it runs smoothly when cold, but even when the fan is at 100% on stock it isn't enough.

I have a water cooled system and great cable management and airflow with extra fans, my other components run around low 30's so there is no additional heat build up factored in here.

Anyone suggest another after market cooler that works and keeps temps low?
a b 4 Gaming
July 11, 2008 1:44:31 AM

Well you might have killed the GPU. But there are some from Thermalright that look decent.
July 11, 2008 7:46:53 AM

Yeah, that sucks.
If you can find one, try the Artic Cooling AccelS1 Rev 2.
Should look like This.
I have been hearing that it dose an exelent job at cooling the 4850.
If you do find one, either get the "Turbo Module" or strap a quiet fan on to it.
!