Sign in with
Your question

Name me a good USB TV Tuner

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2008 1:43:41 AM

if/when I order me one of those EEE PC's,I plan on ordering a TV tuner along with it. I would perfer one with a remote,that will work a year from now (digital signal),and hopefully has a Composite input in case I wanted to use the EEE as a little mobile TV for an xbox or something. Around or under $100 is my price limit,and was looking at this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thoughts?

More about : good usb tuner

July 1, 2008 1:57:03 AM

I like the carrying case with that,thats definitely on my list of possibilites
Related resources
July 1, 2008 1:57:48 AM

I just have a couple of thoughts, that EEE PC your getting make sure your using the XP edition to even have a chance of running that tuner (although there may be Linux drivers unless you know what your doing I would hesitate a bit lol)

Another thing to consider is that those EEE PC's are good for web surfing and email and doing some basic computer work I would not expect them to handle digitizing video or doing any sort of video work. These things are usually for faster PC's (allot less so now as even the most basic desktop PC can handle some basic video work) but those EEE PC's are really under powered, and another thing to think about would be storage.... they have small HD's and even with good compression a 2 hour movie can suck up 700MB's (DivX)

Edit: "but those EEE PC's are really under powered" By that I mean for doing video work even some basic conversion from one codec to another would be most painful.... I can give you a personal example. I have a laptop I loaded with Linux. I downloaded some video and tried to do a conversion on 30 minutes of video I shot with a digital cam corder thing I bought (VuPoint DV-DA1-VP)
1.8Ghz single core cpu with 256MB's of ram. It took something like 4 hours to convert that 30 minutes of video....
Also my notebook has a 40GB HD. I think the EEE PC has something like 8GB's of flash storage.
July 1, 2008 2:06:54 AM

1. I plan on buying a Linux version but installing XP on it (linux versions have bigger SSDs)

2. I dont plan on recording much,just watching

3. I've read where a lot of people are using these,on the EEE's,they just dont say exactly which one's they using,lol

I will probably end up getting bored and hooking the EEE to the Svideo output on my desktop and using it to monitor my temps and settings,lol (one of the reasons why I want the Composite input,some of these tend to lack it)
July 1, 2008 2:17:41 AM

Not to shoot down the EEE PC but looking at the prices... you can honestly get some good deals if you watch at Best Buy that put a real notebook at pretty much the same price...

Check out this page they have 2 versions of the EEE PC... and a Toshiba Notebook at the exact same price, The Toshiba features a dual core processor and 1GB of ram and a 120GB HD (I am actually looking at it now to buy lol) Of course it comes with Vista home premium so you would have to put XP on it.... It also has a built in DL DVDRW drive.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?st=processingti...
July 1, 2008 2:50:27 AM

JonathanDeane said:
Not to shoot down the EEE PC but looking at the prices... you can honestly get some good deals if you watch at Best Buy that put a real notebook at pretty much the same price...

Check out this page they have 2 versions of the EEE PC... and a Toshiba Notebook at the exact same price, The Toshiba features a dual core processor and 1GB of ram and a 120GB HD (I am actually looking at it now to buy lol) Of course it comes with Vista home premium so you would have to put XP on it.... It also has a built in DL DVDRW drive.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?st=processingti...

if you want to discuss this,care to make a topic in the appropriate forum section?

I'm just looking for opinions on a TV Tuner here,not a laptop
July 1, 2008 2:56:02 AM

Oh sorry, just thought it might help you out a bit my bad ;) 
July 1, 2008 3:15:39 AM

teeth_03 said:
if you want to discuss this,care to make a topic in the appropriate forum section?

I'm just looking for opinions on a TV Tuner here,not a laptop

If your to stupid to realize when someone is trying to help you, then I quess you would be stupid enough to buy a EEE PC for the same price as a decent laptop.

If you want something to watch TV on buy a TV or one of those car DvD players.
July 1, 2008 7:52:07 PM

you guys are the ones being off topic. I'm just wondering what I good USB TV Tuner is,not what I plan to hook it up to.

If you guys insist on talking about the EEE's here,then I'll tell you that people buy them for maximum portability,not performance.

But please,if you dont want to talk about USB TV tuners,then please stay out of my thread. I do appreciate the other advice,but im sorry if im not looking for it here.
July 1, 2008 8:18:05 PM

I'm pretty sure where ever there is cable access there will be a TV also.
July 1, 2008 8:30:49 PM

not if im on the go and pick up signals off the air ;) 
!