Need motherboard advice

Rascali

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Greatings all technical wizards. I come to you with great frustration and exhaustion.

I recently purchased a EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW Motherboard and it was dead in the water right out of the box. The reviews I read prior to ordering did not seem damning in the least. After installing all of the components and receiving the FF post message I found some unsettling news in EVGA's forums. I am going to return this mobo.

My question is, given the following components and my desire to just install things and have it work (I am not an extreme OC'er or tweakin' madman) what mobo would you all recommend? Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CoolerMaster CM690 ATX Mid-Tower Case

PSU
OCZ OCZ600GXSSLI GameXStream 600-Watt ATX Power Supply - SLI-Ready,
SATA-Ready

OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
(2x2048MB)

Two 8800 Ultra's

Intel platform - will likely run a Core2 duo for now and go to quad core later.

If you want evga, I would try a different brand of memory. I like crucial or corsair pc6400. I don't like evga as they don't have as good of bios update support as asus or msi, but your choices are limited if you want to use 2 cards. The new p45 and x48 boards are pretty good, but I had one almost doa after only a few posts, it quit, so I can relate. I won't mention the brand, as I've seen this with almost all board makers ocassionally.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I actually came to this topic expecting to give support for the eVGA 780i or 780i FTW. I have had both and each worked without fault. One thing you get with eVGA that is hard to come by is the top-notch customer support from the company. Even though you had one bad experience with them, don't let it push you away from the company.

Rascali

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
I am not put off by one bad experience - two or three, then I have an issue. I am thinking about the 780i. I like EVGA's warranty and customer support as well.

TRENDING THREADS