Sign in with
Your question

graphics upgrade on older Dell dim 8100

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2008 3:06:33 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 1.7Mhz with 1GB RAM, 64MB graphics card, and a 410W psu. I'm not currently able to buy a new computer, but I'd like to upgrade the graphics card. The computer has AGP 2x/4x. I'm thinking of getting either a GeForce 7600GT or Radeon X1650XT. They are both AGP 8x. I believe 8x is backwards compatible with 4x. Does this mean these cards will fit in my computer? Also, should I stick with 256MB cards or can my system handle the 512MB? Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve
July 1, 2008 3:25:38 AM

You can use either of those cards no probs. the psu should handle it, since my dimension 4550 (with higher specs) ran an x800gto before it fried because I unlocked extra pipelines.

Right now, I have a 7600gs and it runs perfectly fine. I believe in your rig, your cpu will bottleneck just as my cpu bottlenecks my card. 256mb or 512mb will work fine, the difference should be negligable.

And yes, 8x is backwards compatible with 4x.
July 1, 2008 3:28:25 AM

Really you migth as well make future plans to save up because buying that old of an graphics card will be outdated fast, so say along 1 or 2 years from now you get up to date cpu :ange:  I am planing on doing that save xx amount each month for my next build.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2008 3:28:55 AM

^ agree with the rabidbunny and i'd go the 256 just to save the money.
July 1, 2008 3:36:56 AM

AGP 8x is backwards compatible with 4x and the difference in bandwidth won't make really make a difference. You didn't say exactly what 1.7Ghz you are running but it's got to be pretty old and either of these cards will be severely bottlenecked by your CPU whatever it is.

In any case, your PSU should be plenty for either card. Just get the 256 if it's cheaper. It won't make a difference. If you enjoy older games and are willing to pay a little to make them look better, it'll work fine. Just don't expect to play anything new and if you're really into games at all, it'd definitely time to look at a new system instead of throwing any money into your current one.
July 1, 2008 3:52:42 AM

megame255 said:
AGP 8x is backwards compatible with 4x and the difference in bandwidth won't make really make a difference. You didn't say exactly what 1.7Ghz you are running but it's got to be pretty old and either of these cards will be severely bottlenecked by your CPU whatever it is.

In any case, your PSU should be plenty for either card. Just get the 256 if it's cheaper. It won't make a difference. If you enjoy older games and are willing to pay a little to make them look better, it'll work fine. Just don't expect to play anything new and if you're really into games at all, it'd definitely time to look at a new system instead of throwing any money into your current one.

+1 The whole thing is old
July 1, 2008 12:32:47 PM

Thank you Rabid, Kelfen, Dirt, and Megame. I'll look around for a cheap 256 version of either of these cards. They oughta work until I can get a new puter.
July 1, 2008 5:27:02 PM

Quote:
+1 The whole thing is old

I agree. My old dell dates back to early 2003. Your dimension is probably a year older, making that 5-6 years ago. I doubt that you can run much for new games.

However, once you've got a new rig, you can use that dimension for other things. IMO as long as it runs windows xp, you can use it for something. Server, backup rig, internet etc...
!