Which hardware component is going bad?

jmcross3

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
A couple of months ago my system started to lock up under load. So I broke out memtest86 and it came up with lots of ram errors (100,000 or so). CPU-burn under the ultimate boot CD would run for hours without causing any problems. I took the ram out and re-seated it in the motherboard. It worked fine for a few days, then I started having the same problem again. I figured that I had some bad ram, so I replaced it. A couple of days later, the same thing started to happen. I kept getting errors with memtest with one, two, or four sticks of ram in there. But whenever I took the ram out and re-seated it, everything worked fine for a day or so. So I thought that my motherboard had gone bad so I replaced it. After a day or so, the same problem all over again.

Would this point to a bad or weak power supply? A bad CPU? The powersupply is an antec 500w earthwats that came with the case. Or is there something that I am missing?

The powersupply is an antec 500w earthwats that came with the case.
amd 5000x2 black edition, not overclocked at the movemt
xfx pcie 8500gt
750G sata HD
500G sata HD
two DVD drives
Asus m3A motherboard.
4G DDR2 800mhz (1.9v)

jmcross3

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008

I am running the RAM at the rated settings. Yes I did have the same problem when I replaced the RAM and Motherboard.