Sign in with
Your question

CPU fsb role on overclocking question

Last response: in Overclocking
May 13, 2009 2:12:39 PM

Hey guys, i know how to overclock now and some of the main things to understand about overclocking,

but "ONE" thing i cant understand what exactly the cpu fsb do in overclocking?

here is the thing,

example:

i have a motherboard with a 1000 htt in amd (fsb in intel) and a 800 mhz cpu, and set as 200*10.5=2.1ghz and eventually overclock to
250*10=2.5ghz,

my question here is if my cpu fsb gets in 250mhz and effectively came from the 1000htt(mhz) by the quad pump effect(fsb*4), does it mean that i cannot go further than the 250 because it will rise up more than 1000htt if i will make it 260mhz or so on?

what exactly the cpu fsb do in overclocking guys?
you guys are my only hope..
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2009 4:04:01 AM

I think you can go above 250MHz. But that configuration running stably is another matter. What CPU are you trying to overclock anyway?
Quote:
The frontside bus connects the CPU to the main memory on the motherboard — basically, it's the conduit used by your entire system to communicate with your CPU. One caution with raising the FBS is that is can affect other system components. When you change the multiplier on a CPU, it will change only the CPU speed. If you change the FSB you are changing the speed at which all components of your system communicate with the CPU.
May 14, 2009 8:26:27 AM

r_manic said:
I think you can go above 250MHz. But that configuration running stably is another matter. What CPU are you trying to overclock anyway?
Quote:
The frontside bus connects the CPU to the main memory on the motherboard — basically, it's the conduit used by your entire system to communicate with your CPU. One caution with raising the FBS is that is can affect other system components. When you change the multiplier on a CPU, it will change only the CPU speed. If you change the FSB you are changing the speed at which all components of your system communicate with the CPU.

>>> im using a sempron le-1200

with jetway m2a693 plus vp and it has a htt of 1000mzh..

and a 1 gig 667 240 pin ddr2 memory ...

Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2009 4:41:33 AM

Lol, and what the heck is a Chevy Chevette?! OP, zipzoom's right.
May 15, 2009 5:12:42 PM

ah.. sorry guys im not that rich to set a gaming rig that dominates in many forums,
im a just student, no jobs, small allowance, and just trying to make things better,
its not my fault to be like these,,

but im happy to be like these,....

honestly, if i didnt get this rig,...
maybe i did not become interesting in overclocking, ratio, cooling etc.

there are people that cant even eat 3 times a day,..
lucky to have this rig,.... no doubt..

actually i overclock it all ready at 2.9 ghz,

im just asking because im thinking that there might be more than 2.9ghz,
temp: idle 24, load 37, stock fan.

May 15, 2009 5:56:11 PM

If you go above of what the mobo recommends it could be unstable, if you're not using it to something hardcore, keep it safe at 250 or 260.

I'm sure if you stress your system at 2.9ghz you will see errors or shutdowns.
if that's your only computer then don't push it beyond its limits, although mobos can sometimes take a little higher fsb than they recommend, the stability varies greatly.

also that it can damage your mobo, ram or cpu.

Remember that you can be a car enthusiast without owning a ferrari, so if you only have a chevy, be happy with it and tweak it as you like. :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 18, 2009 3:04:40 AM

OP, to be clear, no one here's faulting you for your system. You asked for advice and you received: don't push your system beyond its recommended limitations, or you may end up with a non-working system.

It's sound advice like this that would've helped me avoid buying a relatively sucky (or so I've heard) hard disk for my desktop. :sweat: 
May 18, 2009 2:59:35 PM

guys,... i test it at the prime95(8 hours) and occt(3 hours temp 37 max load),.. theres no problema at all,. i have 2 turbine fans 1 front(intake) 1 turbine fan in lower back(exhaust), 1 at side intake and one at upper back exhaust,,....,..

to tell you the truth,.. i only got errors at prime95 when i make it 3 ghz,..

ofcourse its my fault when sometihng messy happens,..

but ofcourse its a one good experience for me,..

tnx guys,,..
!