edspd

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Hi
I don't suppose anyone has a Lindy Mini NAS (a small unit designed to go under a Mac Mini)?
I tried a 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA-3 drive in mine but can't get it to work (the unit seems to recognise the drive but won't format it).
I tried a smaller IDE drive and that worked fine in the Lindy NAS and the Barracuda drive now works fine in a D-link NAS so there wasn't anything wrong with the drive.

This is what it says in the Lindy manual:

"Q: What types of hard disks are compatible to work with the NAS ENCLOSURE?
A1: Hard disks have to support Ultra DAM compatible with Ultra 33, 66, 100, 133.
A2: Support LBA frame, up to the maximum IDE format 2TB(2,048GB).
A3: The File format has to be FAT32, with single files having a 4GB maximum limit. If you insert a
hard disk which is already formatted to FAT16 or NTFS, you will need to format it again
according to the NAS ENCLOSURE internal format function.
A4: The NAS ENCLOSURE supports hard disks with only one partition.

Any ideas why the Barracuda drive wouldn't work and any recommendations for the largest SATA drive that will work in this NAS?
Thanks

HappyBison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I would try to partition and format your new drive on a PC first, then try to put it into Lindy and see if it will be able to re-format it.

edspd

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Thanks, HappyBison for the suggestion. I'll try that. Technical support from Lindy now suggests the maximum size for a hard drive is 1TB despite what the Q&A section implies but there's no list of approved/recommended drives which is unfortunate.