Darkjudge

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
So, here's the story. I have ordered a replacement power suppy because the other one was failing (random shutoffs, etc). However, this morning when I turned on the computer I heard the power supply whir to life, then I heard a medium size thunk. Hitting the power switch does no good. Obviously, it's a bad power supply.

However, I realized that I swapped the red switch on the back to 230v. Erm... did I manage to fry my motherboard/components while I'm at it, or is there a way to tell without a working power supply?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
It should be okay, because even if the switch is set to that, it is not pulling 230V from the wall.

Take your PC to a computer store and have them test it with one of their bench PSUs for < $30. Then you will know exactly what your next step should be.

I am not 100% with you on its a bad PSU. Have it tested while you at the computer store. I had a bad motherboard once, and the power switch did zip also. PSU tested fine.

Darkjudge

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
*sigh* okay, good. The reason why I'm almost certain it's the power supply is because A. Adding a card that plugged directly into the PS caused its lifespan to shorten. B. It's a cheap power supply that came with the box. C. Others have reported the same issue.

And no, I didn't smell anything burning afterward. ;-)

EDIT: I found some additional feedback here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/67097-28-power-supply-230v-help

Sorry, guys, my fault for NOT doing a search first. Panic set in... Sorry!