July 1, 2008 8:40:47 AM

I have just purchase a system with the following specs:

- AMD X2 6000+
- Geforce 9800GTX (512MB)
- Gigabyte GA-MA770 DS3 mobo
- Enermax 460W PS (EG465P)
- 4GB RAM
- Running windows xp

I have it hooked up to my 46" HDTV via the HMDI cable, but i'm having some issues:

1) For some weird reason when booting up the bios screen and xp loading screen the background is a bright green color.
It didn't used to be that way (it used to show up black as normal), but after the first time problem #2 happened (below) it started loading up in green every time.
The screen looks fine once it gets into windows, but it is quite annoying (and possibly a sign of greater problems?).

2) When i try to play Crysis with settings:
- Details: all medium
- Res: 1920 x 1080
It plays awesome of like 3-5 minutes (graphics look great, and really smooth, good FPS), after that it crashes.
The game kind of freezes, after mashing the keyboard for awhile it goes back to the menu, but everything is messed up and pixelated, but from this menu i can just about navigate back out of the game and into windows.
From this point windows seem to be running normally. (So PC doesn't completely crash)

I have downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers, and Mobo drivers, but this doesn't seem to change anything.

Any ideas? What should i do in order to pin point the problem?
July 1, 2008 9:18:16 AM

Sounds like a power issue but you have a decent psu. Try the card in another system with a larger psu
July 1, 2008 9:36:32 AM

Unfortunately i don't have another system with larger PSU lying around :( 

Is there anyway to test the power usage of the system to make sure it is the PSU?

Also i'll add that i've now tested it all the way down to 1280×1080 res with all low graphic settings and it still crashes.
Related resources
July 1, 2008 11:22:45 AM

I'd say it's the power supply, that's a fairly low wattage unit for use with a top end card. I use a 600 watt for exact same processor and motherboard but with 8800gt instead and that runs fine. Either that or a heating issue with the card.
July 1, 2008 11:33:53 AM

What's the max temp the card should be running at?

After a crash i run the Nvidia monitor to check the temp and it says the card is around 63-65. Is the NVMonitor tool accurate? If so this temp doesn't seem that high?
The case doesn't feel that hot (nothing compared to the temp my xbox 360 runs at).

Assuming it is the power supplier i'm guessing the shop where i bought the PC will let me trade up for a better spec, does anyone have an recommendations? I'm not really sure how to read the PSU details, except for the Wattage. What am i looking for (no pun intended)?
July 1, 2008 11:37:56 AM

how much amp do u hav on ur 12v rail......
July 1, 2008 12:22:37 PM

I'm not sure how to read the power table, but under the "+12V" column it says "1.5A/33A" and under the "-12V" column it says "0A/1.0A"
July 1, 2008 1:38:30 PM

You need a better powersupply. Get a Thermaltake, at least 500 watts but I would get 600 or more.
July 1, 2008 1:54:13 PM

That's well within temp range for that card. They didn't make the card that big (+1.5" more than 8800's) for no reason...additional capacitors and such. The heatsink is huge on those things. Here is a pic of my new 9800gtx next to my old 8800gts 640:

July 1, 2008 2:18:48 PM

OP: Your PSU has 32A on the 12v rails, which is plenty if the PSU is functioning correctly.
July 1, 2008 4:55:38 PM

carver is rite, IF UR PSU IS WORKING FINE. try ur card on some other frnds computer having a decent psu, no offence, ur psu is awesom too. but its just another suggestion. try it.
July 2, 2008 2:37:22 AM

Well i call the shop, and the guy was pretty adamant that the PSU could handle that card, but to bring it in to test out.

So hopefully today i'll be able to test it with a larger PSU at the store and see if that fixes it.

BTW i fixed the green boot screen; like an idiot i had been playing around with the HDMI settings on the TV and set the color mode to YCbCr instead of RGB...
July 2, 2008 8:54:21 AM

So turns out it was some kind of defect in the card.

I bought the PC back to the store, and they switched out the card for a new one, and no more crashing. Works great now.
!