Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0

Last response: in Storage
October 7, 2009 6:07:42 PM

I'm just a little confused about raid 0. I have a few quick questions, Can I set up raid via usb? Second question is when exactly do I install the raid drivers?

More about : raid

a b G Storage
October 7, 2009 6:28:20 PM

I'm gonna answer the second question first...

The RAID drivers are typically installed during the OS install. For example, Windows has an option to press F6 during the install process to load RAID drivers; this is because Windows does not come with RAID drivers as part of the base drivers. Note that this is done mostly so you can install Windows as an OS onto the RAID array.

If you install a RAID controller card after the fact, after the Windows install, then you would just install the drivers per the normal process as when you install any new hardware device. Note that this method will not allow you to install Windows onto the RAID array.

As far as setting up RAID via usb, what exactly do you mean? Installing the RAID drivers using a usb thumb drive as opposed to a floppy/CD to install the RAID drivers? Or using external hard drives connected via a usb as a RAID array?

m
l
October 9, 2009 12:09:46 AM

I meant the first thing. Is it possible to install raid via a usb thumb drive rather than the floppy/cd?
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2009 10:25:45 PM

The easy way is to use "nLite"
you can find many guides on the net
m
l
a b G Storage
October 13, 2009 2:10:59 PM

chunkymonster said:
The RAID drivers are typically installed during the OS install. For example, Windows has an option to press F6 during the install process to load RAID drivers; this is because Windows does not come with RAID drivers as part of the base drivers. Note that this is done mostly so you can install Windows as an OS onto the RAID array.

ballerchris33 said:
I meant the first thing. Is it possible to install raid via a usb thumb drive rather than the floppy/cd?
If the mobo supports booting from USB, the yes, you can load the RAID controller drivers from a USB thumb drive. Again, this depends on the mobo, if your supports it or not is something that you'll have to find out.

Good luck!
m
l
!