Bicycle bearing grease as TIM

G

Bearing grease is probably overkill - try peanut butter instead (just remember to use smooth, not crunchy)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

If it resists heat to 100C it will work. I used to build computers comercially using dark blue lithium "general purpose grease" and it did not run, it never completely dried out, and it did transfer heat very well.

scoobiders

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

Hi there sir, I've been wondering if I can use this thread to solve my temperature problem, I have an e5200 oced to 3003 Mhz and an Asus V Nardo cooler, with the stock thermal grease, my cpus temp reach to about 60-62 C on a one hour linpack test, but when I replaced the stock grease with an aftermarket one (Locally made here in the Philippines, it says nano silver technology) it reaches 72-73 C, Im sure that I mounted the cooler properly ( actually did it 8-10 times already ) but still my temps are not so nice, what do you think sir? Lapping my cpu?or my hsf? I have no access to a favorable store to sell me a decent thermal grease, what can I do sir? thankyou

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I can only verify that the stuff I used worked well. As for untested products, I have no clue.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Yea, just sounds like your 'local' compound is El Cheapo. Try and score some Arctic Silver 5, or if you really want the good stuff, find Shin Etsu.

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
yes. you wouldn't even need to go back in to replace it, like you would if you used mayonnaise & didn't want your computer to attract flies.

it may not work great, but it fills the air gaps, and as long as there is good pressure between the CPU lid and the bottom of the heat sink, it'll work.

of course it would be best to just use a little so you don't get crud on the motherboard.

when you say bearing grease are you referring to the stuff you use if you re-pack a hub on a wheel or the crank axle ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Good point, I'm hoping he's refering to the middleweight grease you'd use to repack a crank. Clamp pressure usually squeezes the stuff out thin enough to see through. It never really dries completely and a thin layer of it does work well. When it is fully "cooked" it has a wax-like consistency, kind of like the black TIM Intel used on its older processors.

TRENDING THREADS