Sign in with
Your question

Gathering Information ATI 4850 and World of Warcraft Crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2008 12:52:26 PM

Please list if you are having hard driver crashes while playing world of warcraft and using a 4850. Also list which driver you have. I seem to have bad crashes when using 8.6 or the hotfix driver. I finally tried what came in the box which I belive to be 8.5 and it seems okay so far.

Thanks.
July 1, 2008 1:06:52 PM

Seeing as the crashing is related to cat 8.6 - not the 4850 - why don't you rename the thread "Gathering Information catalyst 8.6 and World of Warcraft Crashes"
July 1, 2008 1:17:56 PM

Because the other ATI cards don't crash when using 8.6.
Related resources
July 1, 2008 1:20:04 PM

What other ATI cards do you have?
July 1, 2008 1:23:41 PM

here's what I know.... it's the anti alliasing.
my 3870 has problems with it...

some games gets vpu recover when enabling the AA in game setting while
enabling AA in CCC doesn't lead to VPU recover.
Other games crash specifically when AA is at x2 .... x4 x8 and so on work flawless.....

try changing the AA settings

EDIT: catalyst 8.6
July 1, 2008 1:27:16 PM

I have the slider set to the quality setting. While in game I noticed if I have it on balanced and set the in game setting to 8x I get a massive FPS drop. This occurs on the 8.6 and the 8.7 beta(hotfix) drivers. The 8.5 does not have this issue. I do not use the in game settings mainly though. I know the fps drop is not normal at 8x because its not there at 16x.
July 1, 2008 1:33:14 PM

There's a simple solution here. Quit playing WoW. Anything above a Nvidia 7600gt is too much card for that game. :) 
July 1, 2008 1:33:46 PM

Wait for Catalyst 8.7

According to AMD's own ATI sub-division website, there are no drivers specifically for the Radeon HD 4xxx series just yet. When you to search for them (for Windows XP at least), you only find Radeon HD 3xxx series and below. This leads me to believe that support for the HD 4xxx series is still in its infancy within Catalyst. Just give the red team some time and they'll get to the bottom of this.
July 1, 2008 1:36:41 PM

Lavacon said:
There's a simple solution here. Quit playing WoW. Anything above a Nvidia 7600gt is too much card for that game. :) 

Well I play bioshock and source based games as well. This is the first card I have had that can actually handle wow with filtering turned up. This is especially true in large cities. Before this I had the 8800 GTS 320 MB version and did not cut it.
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2008 1:45:04 PM

Not to sound like an ass, but Have you considered using the individual settings, instead of the Main One that controls all settings(for lazy people or Idiots that don't know what half the stuff means)

Anyway, having owned several ATI cards over the years, I always found it better to just tweak individual settings instead of relying on the "Master Slider".

And the same goes for Nvidia as well. Most of my settings are on Application controlled, And i set up profiles for my games that don't have in game settings for AA/AF.

by the way, the parenthesized comment was not directed at you utahraptor.
July 1, 2008 2:11:11 PM

Oh noze... you cannot farm your gold!!!
July 1, 2008 11:15:49 PM

I just got the crash with 8.5 drivers. Is anyone playing wow with the 4850?
July 1, 2008 11:18:43 PM

You really don't need a 4850 to play that game...
July 2, 2008 4:29:58 AM

Graphic cards do make a difference in MMORPG's. My wife and I play LOTRO and she has occasional brief freezes with a 3650, whereas I have no issues, and better eye candy, with a 3870x2.

One friend plays both WoW and LOTRO with a 7600gs and another plays just LOTRO with an 8600gt. Their eye candy is similar to what my wife gets.

She'll get my old card when I get a 4870x2 this fall.

IMHO, no game should be played with the minimum specs, not even an MMORPG.

I do wish they'd had the drivers ready for the new cards. Haven't had any problems with the 3870x2 other than occasional scaling issues, but the 4xxx series seems to be having some teething pains, that should be fixed by the end of summer.
July 2, 2008 1:53:20 PM

I RMAed the card today. If I get the same results with the new one its probably just my bad luck in that I put my computer together wrong. If it works it was probably a bad card. I ran a memory test last night just to make sure that was not the problem and everything checks out. I used newegg for a rush order today and had it overnighted. I just hope it gets here tommorow or its going to be a long 3 day weekend.
July 2, 2008 4:33:01 PM

Lavacon said:

You're pretty much clueless...
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2008 10:56:46 PM

utahraptor said:
I have the slider set to the quality setting. While in game I noticed if I have it on balanced and set the in game setting to 8x I get a massive FPS drop. This occurs on the 8.6 and the 8.7 beta(hotfix) drivers. The 8.5 does not have this issue. I do not use the in game settings mainly though. I know the fps drop is not normal at 8x because its not there at 16x.

I think you're confusing AF (which is the 16x at no penalty) with AA which at 16X would cripple anything out there.

July 4, 2008 3:04:38 AM

UDPATE! I got the new card today and I have not had a single crash. I went from the HIS brand to the ASUS brand. The new card is the same model and they are both 4850s.

I am able to use all settings full on and the latest hotfix drivers with no crash. I am happy now.
!