DirecTV or Dish

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 10, 2005 6:54:48 PM

Hi group,

I'm having trouble with my DirecTV dish, when it rains I don't
get a signal. I called DTV and they won't come out and look at the
problem, even though I pay extra for the service on equiptment.

I called Dish Network and they have some attractive promotions
going right now so I would like some feed back on the Dish HD
receivers. I can get the 811 for free or the 942 HD-DVR for $250.
Any input on these receivers would be appreciated.

Also does Dish have problems when it rains?

Thanks,
Mike Jones

--
==================
Mike Jones

More about : directv dish

September 11, 2005 2:44:26 AM

"Mike Jones" <mikemaxjNOSPAM@charter.net> wrote in message
> Hi group,
>
> I'm having trouble with my DirecTV dish, when it rains I don't
> get a signal. I called DTV and they won't come out and look at the
> problem, even though I pay extra for the service on equiptment.
>
> I called Dish Network and they have some attractive promotions
> going right now so I would like some feed back on the Dish HD
> receivers. I can get the 811 for free or the 942 HD-DVR for $250.
> Any input on these receivers would be appreciated.
>
> Also does Dish have problems when it rains?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Jones
>
> --
> ==================
> Mike Jones
> mikemaxj@charter.net
> ==================

Sure they do. My OTA loses signal if there's a heavy rain betwee me and the
transmitting station some 60 - 65 miles away.

However, from what I understand, the more accurate the dish is pointing the
less likely to lose the signal.

Jim
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 2:46:18 AM

In article <vCIUe.29166$ih4.7309@fe02.lga> "Mike Jones"
<mikemaxjNOSPAM@charter.net> writes:

>Hi group,

>I'm having trouble with my DirecTV dish, when it rains I don't
>get a signal. I called DTV and they won't come out and look at the
>problem, even though I pay extra for the service on equiptment.

>I called Dish Network and they have some attractive promotions
>going right now so I would like some feed back on the Dish HD
>receivers. I can get the 811 for free or the 942 HD-DVR for $250.
>Any input on these receivers would be appreciated.

>Also does Dish have problems when it rains?

>Thanks,
>Mike Jones

They both have the same problem when it rains. It's the exact same
technology and same transmitted power levels coming down to the same tiny
dish antennas and similar receiving equipment. A service call isn't going
to fix this so I can understand DTV's reluctance to send someone. Rain
fade is something all satellite subscribers have to deal with.

HOWEVER... what you certainly can do is install a larger dish. The 1-meter
(40") dish works great. Yes, we still have a little rain fade, but very
little. It literally has to be raining cats and dogs to knock out the
signal. The 40" dish is about $80 but uses the same LNB as the 18" dish.
Yes you can install it yourself tho I don't recommend it. The 40" dish has
a much sharper forward beamwidth and therefore is considerably harder (and
more critical) to align on the signal. For the sake of comparison, think
of the 18" dish as a short-barreled shotgun and think of the 40" dish as a
rifle. This means it has to be precisely aimed. With the 18" dish you can
be "close" and get a signal With the 40" dish you've got to be dead-on,
but the signal strength will be 4 times as much as you get with an 18"
dish. It really made a major difference. You can also purchase a 24" dish,
but that's not significantly larger than the 18" and so will not have
nearly as big an impact on your received signal as the 40" (1-meter) dish.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 2:46:19 AM

Set many of these up with just a portable TV, extension cord, length of
RU-6, and, of course the intended receivers. If the smaller dish is
receiving the signal then you need to mark down the elevation angle from the
side of the mount. the East/West is a bit more complicated but a bit of
diligence will provide a much stronger level than with the 18" item. if
really intimited, have it installed for you.
"Mr Fixit" <MrFixit@msn.com> wrote in message
> In article <vCIUe.29166$ih4.7309@fe02.lga> "Mike Jones"
> <mikemaxjNOSPAM@charter.net> writes:
>
>>Hi group,
>
>>I'm having trouble with my DirecTV dish, when it rains I don't
>>get a signal. I called DTV and they won't come out and look at the
>>problem, even though I pay extra for the service on equiptment.
>
>>I called Dish Network and they have some attractive promotions
>>going right now so I would like some feed back on the Dish HD
>>receivers. I can get the 811 for free or the 942 HD-DVR for $250.
>>Any input on these receivers would be appreciated.
>
>>Also does Dish have problems when it rains?
>
>>Thanks,
>>Mike Jones
>
> They both have the same problem when it rains. It's the exact same
> technology and same transmitted power levels coming down to the same tiny
> dish antennas and similar receiving equipment. A service call isn't going
> to fix this so I can understand DTV's reluctance to send someone. Rain
> fade is something all satellite subscribers have to deal with.
>
> HOWEVER... what you certainly can do is install a larger dish. The 1-meter
> (40") dish works great. Yes, we still have a little rain fade, but very
> little. It literally has to be raining cats and dogs to knock out the
> signal. The 40" dish is about $80 but uses the same LNB as the 18" dish.
> Yes you can install it yourself tho I don't recommend it. The 40" dish has
> a much sharper forward beamwidth and therefore is considerably harder (and
> more critical) to align on the signal. For the sake of comparison, think
> of the 18" dish as a short-barreled shotgun and think of the 40" dish as a
> rifle. This means it has to be precisely aimed. With the 18" dish you can
> be "close" and get a signal With the 40" dish you've got to be dead-on,
> but the signal strength will be 4 times as much as you get with an 18"
> dish. It really made a major difference. You can also purchase a 24" dish,
> but that's not significantly larger than the 18" and so will not have
> nearly as big an impact on your received signal as the 40" (1-meter) dish.

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 2:46:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I don't understand why I should be getting a problem with
rain now. The dish has been on the roof for three years and just started acting up
with the first rain this season. We get about thirty inches of rain between now and
next april. Need to do something.

Still would like to hear from anyone who has the dish receivers.

Mike Jones

--
==================
Mike Jones

The 40" (1-meter) dish is sufficiently critical to peak-align such that it
is easy and in fact quite common to pull it 3db or more off peak, even
completely off the bird just by tightening down the clamps. See rifle vs
shotgun reference made previously. I honestly would not want to attempt it
without a good meter or signal "squealer". Some Hughes receivers have
this ability but many RCAs don't (their squealer is staircased. You need
one with a linear tone. Hard to beat an audible squealer when you're
cinching things down tight. Once all nice and tight then push on the left
& right, top and bottom edges of the big dish while listening to the
squealer. If the frequency of the tone goes up -at all- while flexing the
big dish, then you're still not "Dead-On".

In article <EvidnQldCr3H877eRVn-2w@comcast.com> "Art"
<arthurgernberg@comcast.net> writes:

>Set many of these up with just a portable TV, extension cord, length of
>RU-6, and, of course the intended receivers. If the smaller dish is
>receiving the signal then you need to mark down the elevation angle from the
>side of the mount. the East/West is a bit more complicated but a bit of
>diligence will provide a much stronger level than with the 18" item. if
>really intimited, have it installed for you.
>"Mr Fixit" <MrFixit@msn.com> wrote in message
>> In article <vCIUe.29166$ih4.7309@fe02.lga> "Mike Jones"
>> <mikemaxjNOSPAM@charter.net> writes:
>>
>>>Hi group,
>>
>>>I'm having trouble with my DirecTV dish, when it rains I don't
>>>get a signal. I called DTV and they won't come out and look at the
>>>problem, even though I pay extra for the service on equiptment.
>>
>>>I called Dish Network and they have some attractive promotions
>>>going right now so I would like some feed back on the Dish HD
>>>receivers. I can get the 811 for free or the 942 HD-DVR for $250.
>>>Any input on these receivers would be appreciated.
>>
>>>Also does Dish have problems when it rains?
>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Mike Jones
>>
>> They both have the same problem when it rains. It's the exact same
>> technology and same transmitted power levels coming down to the same tiny
>> dish antennas and similar receiving equipment. A service call isn't going
>> to fix this so I can understand DTV's reluctance to send someone. Rain
>> fade is something all satellite subscribers have to deal with.
>>
>> HOWEVER... what you certainly can do is install a larger dish. The 1-meter
>> (40") dish works great. Yes, we still have a little rain fade, but very
>> little. It literally has to be raining cats and dogs to knock out the
>> signal. The 40" dish is about $80 but uses the same LNB as the 18" dish.
>> Yes you can install it yourself tho I don't recommend it. The 40" dish has
>> a much sharper forward beamwidth and therefore is considerably harder (and
>> more critical) to align on the signal. For the sake of comparison, think
>> of the 18" dish as a short-barreled shotgun and think of the 40" dish as a
>> rifle. This means it has to be precisely aimed. With the 18" dish you can
>> be "close" and get a signal With the 40" dish you've got to be dead-on,
>> but the signal strength will be 4 times as much as you get with an 18"
>> dish. It really made a major difference. You can also purchase a 24" dish,
>> but that's not significantly larger than the 18" and so will not have
>> nearly as big an impact on your received signal as the 40" (1-meter) dish.

September 11, 2005 12:07:27 PM

> Thanks for the feedback. I don't understand why I should be getting a
> problem with
> rain now. The dish has been on the roof for three years and just started
> acting up
> with the first rain this season. We get about thirty inches of rain
> between now and
> next april. Need to do something.
>
> Still would like to hear from anyone who has the dish receivers.
>
> Mike Jones
>
> --
> ==================
> Mike Jones
> mikemaxj@charter.net
> ==================
> I've had the 811 since last January and it works fine.
As far as rain fade goes I would guess your dish is slightly off
peak or you are getting water in the connections.
BTW anyone know anything about the NFLHD
channel?(9464).Can't seem to find any info on the website and when I called
last week the CSR was also mystified.It's off the air most of the time but I
did catch a preseason game on it .I guess I'll find out later today.AFAIK
it's not the same as channel 154.
September 11, 2005 12:15:38 PM

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:24:56 -0700, "Mike Jones"
<mikemaxjNOSPAM@charter.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the feedback. I don't understand why I should be getting a problem with
>rain now. The dish has been on the roof for three years and just started acting up
>with the first rain this season. We get about thirty inches of rain between now and
>next april. Need to do something.
>
>Still would like to hear from anyone who has the dish receivers.
>
>Mike Jones

Has the signal on the meter dropped since it was installed? Where
is/was it?

Also, what part of the country do you live in?
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 12:15:39 PM

"Keith" <Keith@nospam.com> wrote in message news:vbb8i1l26rj9qvskg5van15qhnsvanefch@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:24:56 -0700, "Mike Jones"
> <mikemaxjNOSPAM@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the feedback. I don't understand why I should be getting a problem with
>>rain now. The dish has been on the roof for three years and just started acting up
>>with the first rain this season. We get about thirty inches of rain between now and
>>next april. Need to do something.
>>
>>Still would like to hear from anyone who has the dish receivers.
>>
>>Mike Jones
>
> Has the signal on the meter dropped since it was installed? Where
> is/was it?
>
> Also, what part of the country do you live in?

I live in Redding, CA. The Signal goes to nothing when it rains. Normaly its at
85% to 95% on the three lnb's.

Mike Jones
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 7:32:37 PM

In article <ZrNUe.29275$ih4.5200@fe02.lga> "Mike Jones"
<mikemaxjNOSPAM@charter.net> writes:

>Thanks for the feedback. I don't understand why I should be getting a problem with
>rain now. The dish has been on the roof for three years and just started acting up
>with the first rain this season. We get about thirty inches of rain between now and
>next april. Need to do something.

Possibly the connections at the dish have deteriorated. Perhaps they
weren't 'sealed', perhaps they weren't tightened properly, perhaps whoever
installed the connectors on the cable ends didn't do it right. Perhaps
your dish wasn't properly tightened on the mast and has been blown
slightly off-peak. Perhaps the mast bracket has worked loose. Perhaps the
problem is down at the ground block (there *IS* a ground block, isn't
there and it *IS* grounded, isn't it?) Perhaps, perhaps and perhaps.. an
endless list.

There's no shortage of self-annointed satellite expert "wannabees" out
there. These bozos are literally a dime a hundred dozen. Sadly half or
more would barely make a pimple on a *certified* installer's backside.
There a lot of wrong ways to install a satellite system and still get it
working. There's only a couple of ways to do it right. You either do it
right the first time or you will get to do it over.

From your symptoms and noting that the frequency of rain fade issues have
substantially increased, then very likely *something* having to do with
the outside equipment and cabling has deteriorated since it was initially
installed. I didn't mention the chance of the LNB becoming weak because
quite frankly it very seldom happens. However, it still is another among
the endless list of possibilities.

Call DTV and ask to speak to the customer retention department. Tell them
that you are dissapointed in the service and explain your problems. Be
sure to tell them that you pay a maintenance fee and that either they send
out a certified tech to check your system or else you are cancelling.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 12:47:29 AM

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:24:56 -0700 Mike Jones <mikemaxjNOSPAM@charter.net> wrote:

| Thanks for the feedback. I don't understand why I should be getting a problem with
| rain now. The dish has been on the roof for three years and just started acting up
| with the first rain this season. We get about thirty inches of rain between now and
| next april. Need to do something.

Your dish may have been well aligned before, and with medium levels of
rain, didn't sufffer enough loss to really ruin the signal. But the
dish may now be more out of alignment and getting less of a signal. It
can be enough to work fine in good weather, but combine the slight error
in alignment, with the rain, and it drops below the level you need. The
alignment can be caused by many things, such as wind storms, or just the
day and night thermal stresses.

Others have suggested a large dish. If you can spring for the money to
do that, I'd recommend it, too. But if not, at least try to get a call
in to have the dish alignment peaked up and see if that helps.

September 12, 2005 11:01:58 PM

> "Keith" <Keith@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:24:56 -0700, "Mike Jones"
>> <mikemaxjNOSPAM@charter.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the feedback. I don't understand why I should be getting a
>>>problem with
>>>rain now. The dish has been on the roof for three years and just started
>>>acting up
>>>with the first rain this season. We get about thirty inches of rain
>>>between now and
>>>next april. Need to do something.
>>>
>>>Still would like to hear from anyone who has the dish receivers.
>>>
>>>Mike Jones
>>
>> Has the signal on the meter dropped since it was installed? Where
>> is/was it?
>>
>> Also, what part of the country do you live in?
>
> I live in Redding, CA. The Signal goes to nothing when it rains. Normaly
> its at
> 85% to 95% on the three lnb's.
>
> Mike Jones

I'd say you've probably got water in the connections and/or a bad piece of
coax.

BTW: I have the Dish 625 Dual DVR. (not HD) It's nice when it works :-)
I'm on my 3rd one in 6 months. BUT Dish is awesome about shipping a new one
via UPS for free!

Tim
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:47:18 AM

"Mr Fixit" <MrFixit@msn.com> wrote in message news:p 8i8i15g6befbk67k7vpe7uvgkjm8je3pj@4ax.com...
> In article <ZrNUe.29275$ih4.5200@fe02.lga> "Mike Jones"
> <mikemaxjNOSPAM@charter.net> writes:
>
>>Thanks for the feedback. I don't understand why I should be getting a problem with
>>rain now. The dish has been on the roof for three years and just started acting up
>>with the first rain this season. We get about thirty inches of rain between now and
>>next april. Need to do something.
>
> Possibly the connections at the dish have deteriorated. Perhaps they
> weren't 'sealed', perhaps they weren't tightened properly, perhaps whoever
> installed the connectors on the cable ends didn't do it right. Perhaps
> your dish wasn't properly tightened on the mast and has been blown
> slightly off-peak. Perhaps the mast bracket has worked loose. Perhaps the
> problem is down at the ground block (there *IS* a ground block, isn't
> there and it *IS* grounded, isn't it?) Perhaps, perhaps and perhaps.. an
> endless list.
>
> There's no shortage of self-annointed satellite expert "wannabees" out
> there. These bozos are literally a dime a hundred dozen. Sadly half or
> more would barely make a pimple on a *certified* installer's backside.
> There a lot of wrong ways to install a satellite system and still get it
> working. There's only a couple of ways to do it right. You either do it
> right the first time or you will get to do it over.
>
> From your symptoms and noting that the frequency of rain fade issues have
> substantially increased, then very likely *something* having to do with
> the outside equipment and cabling has deteriorated since it was initially
> installed. I didn't mention the chance of the LNB becoming weak because
> quite frankly it very seldom happens. However, it still is another among
> the endless list of possibilities.
>
> Call DTV and ask to speak to the customer retention department. Tell them
> that you are dissapointed in the service and explain your problems. Be
> sure to tell them that you pay a maintenance fee and that either they send
> out a certified tech to check your system or else you are cancelling.

Hi Group,

I want to thank everyone who replied. I took Mr Fixit's advice and called the customer
retention department at DirecTV, didn't know there was such a thing. They are going to
replace the dish, replace an old RCA receiver for the second TV, and replace the OTA
antenna. This will cost me $25 but I get a $50 credit on my bill. I hope it works out.

Mike Jones

--
==================
Mike Jones

In article <3RsVe.2721$6Z3.1692@fe06.lga> "Mike Jones"
<mikemaxjNOSPAM@charter.net> writes:

>I want to thank everyone who replied. I took Mr Fixit's advice and called the customer
>retention department at DirecTV, didn't know there was such a thing. They are going to
>replace the dish, replace an old RCA receiver for the second TV, and replace the OTA
>antenna. This will cost me $25 but I get a $50 credit on my bill. I hope it works out.

The customer retention group at DTV is there for the express purpose of
smoothing ruffled feathers. Sat-TV is a technology product and we're not
all experts. They know that and their job is to keep you happy and keep
you as a subscriber.

Please do post a followup after the new dish is installed. Also be sure to
tell the installer your symptoms and mention that the problem is suddenly
much worse this year than in previous years.
!