Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Heatsink

kingofwacky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
This question is pretty simple... I am planning on overclocking a core i7 to about 3.8ish ghz on a Asus P6t Deluxe V2. I heard that the northbridge heatsink doesn't cool passively very well. So I want to get a 40mm fan to keep it cool. here is where it gets tricky. I need it to be quiet. (40mm and quiet don't mix i know...) I have a Cooler Master HAF 932 case which every fan is rated at below 19db. I also have 2 92mm Noctua fans cooling a HD 4870 w/ T-rad 2 and a Prolimatech Megahalem w/ 120mm Noctua fan for the cpu. In other words the system is silent (everything under 20db) and i would like to keep it that way :D So ive been looking on the internet for quiet 40mm fans. I found the SilenX 40mm fan ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835191002 ) rated at 6cfm and 14db. Only problem is that there are a lot of bad reviews claiming a very short life. Do any of you have this fan and could let me know about its reliability. Or if you know of a better 40mm fan that you would suggest. Finally if you have the P6t Deluxe V2 do you actually use a fan or is yours fine passive?
Wow lots of typing :sweat:
Any help would be great thx!

kingofwacky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
that one looks great, real quiet the only thing im concerned about was its reliability. There are reviews on sites, where the lifetime of that fan is in question. thats what im worried about. I saw the Scythe Mini Kaze, it looks better but im really not sure.

Rain1406

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
My Asus P6T deluxe (not V2) came with it's own 40mm fan, you just need the screws to attach it with. did they not provide you one in the v2 version or are you just dismissing it?

kingofwacky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
are you talking about the fan that goes over the copper heatsinks around the cpu or the small 40mm one on top of the northbridge heatsink? it has the one that goes around teh cpu