ATI: "Super RV770" to kick some more green asses?

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
AMD GPG (ex-ATI) is binning the parts to a lowest denominator required for good yields and a level of performance that reaches or sometimes overtakes Nvidia’s GTXhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore-Tex 260. But this time around, the company developed an AIB/OEM-only product codenamed "Super RV770", which will be much more powerful.

The "Super RV770" will arrive with pre-installed water-cooling and features unlocked BIOS, which enables the GPU to be pushed all the way to 950 MHz, while the memory can be pushed to 4.8 GT/s (1.2 GHz QDR). According to our sources, you may be able to push the GPU even beyond 1 GHz, if you use TEC elements, and keep the temperature of GPU low.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-AMD-RV770,5796.html

lol.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I will love to see the benchmarks for this.

The only thing I am a little worried about it, they are water cooled cards. I guess they just run too hot for air. But, at the end of the day, these are the cards I am waiting for.... now to wait for the OC 1GB versions.

Dudeson

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
That truly is insane. I remember not long ago how all the Executives and stuff were quitting LOL, i guess they jumped ship WAY too soon HAHAHA. My only thought about this new "Super RV770" is i doubt it will be available in Australia and no doubt with HD4870's already being LOWEST price of $320, this thing will cost and ARM & a LEG, easy $500+.

On a side note, does any1 thing Regular HD4870's could clock that high 1+GHz core and 4.8GHz mem with say the unlocked BIOS?

You may get lucky, get that good silicon, be able to crank it up that high. Everyones waiting for this bios to come out. I think 850+ is more realistic, but thats still very nice, should be close to the G280 with that oc

Dudeson

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I was just on GPUREVIEW.com to compare the 4870's "Super Clocks", it didn't work properly but Operations/calculations get pretty close to that of the GTX280, and with the HD card already close on its heels i think it could overtake it.

So do u think these new RV770's will be speed binned? I myself am PAINFULLY awaiting the 1gb models, i really hope they don't have slower memory....

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Whatever, just throw a custom water cooling unit on it yourself. I bet you could OC the living s*** out of it if they ever get a new driver out :pfff: . I WANT MY NEW DRIVERS!! :cry:

I just loved that it was called the SUPAH RV770. :D

Maybe were finally past the whole Extreme this and Mega that, but I doubt it, perhaps it's just a blast from the past.

I've wondered since launch, if they could've gotten the temps down would ATi have been able to do separate clock domains with the shaders faster would it have been better able to compete (on performance not price) with the gTX 280 or would it be the RBE that held it back? Based on the design I would think if they did implement asynchronous clocks that the SPUs and TUs would've clocked together as a 'shader clock' the seem a little too joined to allow for different domains between the two.

Well apparently people hav ebeen flooding their forum since this came out and...

Originally Posted by Diamond Multimedia
Due to popular demand we are making these cards available in ecommerce in the next few days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mactronix

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
So is it just me seeing this in a totally different light? ATI has locked the stock 4870 bios to block overclocking so that they could release a super 4870 and sell them for higher prices just like Intel unlocks the multipliers and sells them as extreme-ly expensive CPUs? Someone slap me and tell me ATI just didn't do that.

G

*slaps spinach*

ATI just didn't do that

even if they did I still did what you asked

I still don't understand why this "has" to have water cooling unless speeds of 950MHz aren't stable at 60-70C. Current air-coolers can keep temps this low. I mean, look at the 2900XT and 3870X2. They both consume more power (especially when OC'ed) and I don't see either of them catching on fire (though they were excellent space heaters).

About time they upped the clocks, though. Even my ATI 3200 IGP can clock to 900+ MHz :lol:

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

But it would easily beat 280gtx at these clocks. What does 280gtx cost? :kaola:

I hope they stick to 1gig vram for these particular models.

@ Ape, wish I could remember where I read it, but supposedly, next launch may see shader clock variances. The bios is floating around somewhere. Someone got it and torched their card (ouch) with it. And, they better offer lifetime warranties if they charge 500.

hannibal

Distinguished

The graphic card manufatures deside the GPU clocks, not ATI. ATI give recommendations. And yes, those cards that we see now would melt down with those speeds!

What is good, is that if some manufacturers would starts using better heapipe coolers in their 4870's we could see much better speed allso with the air-cooling!
What this allso mean is that, if you buy normal 4870 now, and put really good aftermarket cooler on it, you should get big boost if you can hack the GPU bios! Maybe not so good as those above, because they most propably are hand picked GPU's, but definitely there is room for improvement with better cooling.
(And keep on eye on those temperatures, you can destroy this card easily when those "improved" bioses are available...)

Seems fair enough to me, Given that the stock card will be relatively cheap and up to anything a non enthusiast wants to throw at it. I don't see why they cant make an enthusiasts card and charge for it accordingly. I know that reads like, "It s ok the enthusiasts can afford it". But that's not what I'm saying.
A lot of this is speculated as the cards are not out yet and there is no price for them yet. Unless anyone knows for sure ?
It seems to me that the yields are really good with these chips and ATI are maximising there revenue stream. Assuming they got such good yields that the bin and reuse policy was no longer viable they get left with two options as i see it.
1 Sell all the chips to a set standard and price and to hell with it
2 Create your own artificial binning point IE locking the cards in the bios. And then selling the higher rated chips as a limited edition.
Yes its not very customer friendly, but then again its a business like any other and the main goal is to make money for the share holders. I don't see it as underhanded. If that was the case they wouldn't have been so open about the whole thing.
The 4850 is about $200 on the EGG and a 4870 is $309 then i cant see the special edition costing more than $350-$400.
What price would this card be if it was an Nvidia card ? $600-$700 ?
Please any light anyone can shed on this would be helpfull as i said im just speculating really
Mactronix :)

CSA_Myth

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Check this link out - http://www.dvhardware.net/article28270.html

Talk about talking smack.
We didn’t just want a fast card out in the market, we wanted the fastest card that could kick the living daylights and bust some performance records, say Mario Gastelum, Director of Product Development & Engineering. “we wanted a card that kicked the competitions teeth into the curb”, and that’s exactly what our engineers accomplished”.

Also read the last line

A watercooled version with a Danger Den waterblock will also be available.

Does that mean that there will be two watercooled versions or a watercooled version and a aircooled version?

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

LOL, now that's the kind of attitude I want to see, give me 110% and nothing less!

:lol:

I'm sure they will have a water cooling version and an air-cooled model.

Unless it is like the hd3870x2 ultiamte or w/e Sapphire called it, where it had its own reservoir/pump and what not, I would hope they don't only do a w/c cooling version.

As to not everybody wants to W/C it anyways...

I'd rather they hook it up up to some nitrogen/phase cooling, but you know that's just me... :whistle:

[:kentuckyranger:1] [:kentuckyranger:1] [:kentuckyranger:1]

See doggy,
Dance doggy,
Dance doggy dance!!!! :pt1cable:

CSA_Myth

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Frozen, Yea I would have to agree with you about Diamond's attitude 110%.
Coming soon MMA for AIB/OEM members, lol

I'd rather they hook it up up to some nitrogen/phase cooling, but you know that's just me... :whistle:
Sounds frosty :heink:

BTW as mentioned earlier they are going retail, and as this link http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9753
suggests they should start showing up next week. At what price will we start seeing them? Well I am hoping that Mactronix is correct with the $50-$80 premium that would make it mighty tempting to me.