New Fan on Old Processor = Help!

DrakeConnar

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Alright I've done something interesting...

I had a watercooled Pentium D that I've recently removed the waterloop from. I bought the D OEM so did not have a stock fan with it. My new processor is a Q9450 and did come with a fan. Well I hooked up the waterblock to the Q9450 and put the stock (Q9450) fan onto the Pentium D. I applied Artic Silver 5 to it and it boots a little hot, but usable. Here's the problem:

The Q9450 uses 1.2v stock and runs cool. The D takes 1.37 stock and runs much hotter (also the larger die)... The fan is running at the default RPM of 1776. I'm seeing Idle temps of 55c and load temps of 70c. I've disabled all traces of Q-Control I can find in the Asus P5W-Premium Bios, but the fan still will NOT speed up above 1785rpm! Even as the CPU hits 70c the fan only increases RPM by 9...

Any ideas on how I can get this fan to spin like a motha? I saw an idea for using a converter and hooking it up to straight 4 pin power direct off the PSU. Is this going to work? I would like it to be at least somewhat temp controlled for the ambiant noise, but I'll take what I can get. Any apps to set the CPU fan RPM?

Thanks!

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
you need to get a heatsink capable of handling a pentium D. In the interim, you could try to undervolt your pentium D to decrease the temps. If you could get the vcore down to 1.2volt it should help substantially.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I don't think that the Q9450 stock HSF will sufficiently cool that P4 D CPU.

I agree with joefriday's suggestions. Get a HSF that can handle the Pentium D's heat, or lower the voltage to it.

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
+1 nmdante, the q9450 stock hsf is not sufficient to cool the pentium d cpu. One the heatsink for the q9450 is puny compared to the stock heatsink that comes with the q6600.

Basically the HSF as NMDante and joefriday said is not capable of a Pentium D. The Pentium D and Core 2 series (especially a 45nm chip) are very different archs.

The Core 2 you have runs extremely cool even when compared to a Q6600 so they made the HSF smaller. Get a Zalman 9500 for that Pentium D and it should be fine.

DrakeConnar

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Sounds good fellas. I'll break down and buy an aftermarket cooler.

There are NONE available in my area :/ so I'm going to need to order it.

Should I go with the Zalman? Or a Xigmatek? Have heard good things about both. I'm betting that Zalman comes with a back plate and the Xig doesnt. I've installed one (zalman cnps7700) before on another D.

DrakeConnar

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
wow, the zalman costs $58 compared to Xigs $37...

I'm going to try and find a comparison. If they're close I'm going to pick up the Xig. Don't plan to overclock this one. I'm giving it to my parents. Thanks for the help guys!